Is Tae Kwon Do actually "useless" against other styles?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Fluidz, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Just to save me a little time, could you do me a favour and tell me which part and at what time he says TKD is a fusion of Shotokan and Taekkyon? Sorry, sorting out paperwork for my students at the mo :)

Mitch

2. Spirit Warrior

Spirit Warrior Valued Member

Thats ok he starts talking about about from about 3:20 but he uses a different name. But this is a series and there are other interviews where he confirms

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Lets not also forget Frank Dux claims he is a ninja...just saying something does not make not true

4. Spirit Warrior

Thats true which is why I said that nobody really knows except him and hes passsed away now so i guess we will never no the truth

5. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Are people still doubting that TKD is an effective martial art? I feel like thirteen pages should be enough to say yes, it is. If you're good at it, it works just as well as if your good at most arts.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

He mentions his caligraphy teacher at 3.20 in Part 1, but there is no mention of Taekkyon being included in TKD. Sorry SW, but can you give me a point in any of these vids where he says that?

Mitch

7. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

There was some, the US Marine Gazette printed some stories of it, which I was given permission to reprint in my first book. Col. Nam tae he also speaks of it... but obviously it was loads, as wars are fought with guns etc.

Stuart

8. StuartA

Slight correction, he was 'a' general, not 'the' general of the South Korean (ROK) Army

No offence my friend, but I`m a Taekwon-Do researcher and I don't acknowledge Taek-Kyon to have much of a role in TKD apart from a similar sounding name and the 'spirit' of its kicks! Taek-Kyon all but died out in Korea! Though Gen. Choi did once say that... he later distanced himself from it, saying he saw his caligraphy teacher practicing a few Taek-Kyon kicks once (as a child)!

Stuart

9. Spirit Warrior

Thats true but remember its a documentary series and there are 7 other videos he talks more extensively in another video but I have to be honest I don't really have time to look for that right now

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Wait, what??? What makes you think TKD was used by American soldiers in that war?

11. Spirit Warrior

I agree with you to a certain extent, I have said before that Taekwondo has intergrated with many other martial arts. But Taekkyon is still active today under several organisations in Korea that had a teacher who preserved the art from his family line. You can do some research into Song Duk-ki who is still regarded as a national treasure today in South Korea for preserving the artform. However Subak (which was the grappling component) deffinately did die out.

It's nice to meet a fellow researcher by the way :)

12. StuartA

I'm happy to address this. Gen Choi was born under the Occupation of Korea by Japan.. so for him, in the early days to admit the art he used to help refind Korean national Pride came from the oppressors was a big No No. So yes, basically he lied and said it had roots in taek-kyon.. what is the proof you ask?

1. Historians have proven that taek-kyon all but died out and its resurrenge came AFTER TKD was created (I think)

2. General Choi distancing himself (quite a lot) from his earlier claims!

- do you not find that a bit odd! (That the name changes!!!).

4. Dr. Kimm.. a noted korean historian says WTF TKD is more like Taek-Kyon than ITF/Ch'ang hon.. due to its bouncy/non-block charactaristics!

Stuart

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Hannibal, I feel I may owe you an apology. :)

14. Hannibal

Not needed :)

15. Spirit Warrior

I'm sorry that hasn't been confirmed because as I have just stated Song Duk-ki preserved Taekkyon and South Korean historians have confirmed this which is why he is a national treasure today in South Korea and why there are Taekkyon schools active today. Secondly I practiced ITF taekwondo and was taught that the 'spring effect' in the knees was necessary and we also have the same bouncy effect and blocks are used because Taekwondo was intergrated with Japanese Karate. And yer your right about the name I must have been thinking about someone else apolisigies for that. Also Tang Soo Doo is the only martial art that bears almost identical kicking techniques because it is another martial art with roots in Taekkyon

16. Hannibal

Because its not as if they have an agenda or anything.....

17. StuartA

I know about Master Son Duk Ki.. he went undergrund during the Japanese occupation and whilst there, developed three Taek-Kyon schools that Master Han Il Dong (the original teachers name mentioned by Gen choi) came from!

As a side note... Gen choi also once stated he learned karate direct from the great Funakoshi himself, but later he stated he learnt from a man named 'Kim' and visited Funakoshi's school, only to find he was away!!!

Stuart
    Ps. Nice to meet you too :hat:

18. StuartA

Sure.. but theres no tangible link between GM Song and General choi.. Gen. Choi even said as much! Plus, apparently, the schools active today are very different from original Taek-Kyon (from what I`ve researched).

Also, from what I`ve read, taek-Kyon was considered a 'folk' game.. it was merged with Subak to make it an effective martial art for Silla.. and if that is the case, why did Gen choi go to an hapkido and judo instructor from the grappling/throw aspects of TKD!!!

Then you msut ask yourself, why wasnt the down/up/down sine-wave there from day 1? Originally, TKD used hip twist, just like.... well, you know!

AFAIA, Tang Soo Do is the Koreanized version of Shotokan some more kicks! Created by GM hwang Kee after studying Funakoshi's books I believe (though i could be wrong, its getting late here and Im tired from my earlier class).

Stuart

19. StuartA

There has always been an agenda with TKD, right from day 1... originally for nationalistic purposes (the good of Korea).. later, for other 'various' reasons.. but the 'untruth' you tell in the 1950's bites ya in the backside in the 2000's.. yet, with all that said, at least in the early days, i undestand General Choi's reasons/motives... in the later years, I also understand some of them, just dont agree with them!

Stuart

20. Spirit Warrior

LOOOL. You have just changed the context of your entire argument: at first you stated that Taekkyon was entirely extinct and now you say you know about Song Duk-ki. But anyway I have already said that Taekwondo was intergrated with other martial arts which is why we have the hip twist used in shotokan karate but my point is that Song Duk-ki proves that Taekkyon was preserved and often times when one master has preserved something others have also preserved it (which might well include General CHoi's calligraphy teacher); the fact is there is no evidence to prove that the master he mensions did not practice Taekkyon and therefore there is not evidence to suggest he lies however I admit that there is also no evidence to prove his teacher did teach Taekkyon (meaning that the secret of whether it is true or not died with him).