is Muay Thai a good complement to Krav Maga or is Bak Fu Pai a better complement?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by n00b, Apr 3, 2022.

1. n00b

n00b New Member

So does Muay Thai complement Krav better or is Bak Fu Pai better? Which combination is more practical?

I'm definitely training Krav but I want to try learning something that will help self-defense and get me into good physical condition on the side and aid in weight loss.

Could you please clarify?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I would ignore the self defence training and get a good solid 6 months work in one style.

Martial arts won't help your weight loss.

What it will do is make you feel better about yourself, which will help you go about getting in shape.

If weight and fitness is what you are looking for, then join a gym and get a personal trainer.

The arts you mention, like so many others don't focus on self defence and even the arts that claim to do a pretty poor job.

Factor in the moral, legal and ethical framework, the nuances in law, the difference between self defence and revenge and so it goes on and you have a system all of it's own.

We all saw the Will Smith and Chris Rock incident and every man and his dog had an opinion. I even saw a Krav school use it in their advertising and they even invited Chris Rock to learn their "360 technique", which would have helped him.

Now it may have done, but like so many other schools that assumes the fight is already on.

For self defence we should be focusing on the 30 seconds prior to the slap.

Despite what the news would have us believe the chances of us having to defend ourselves is slim, so pick a regular school and focus on learning the art.

Mitch, axelb and Dylan9d like this.
  3. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

Do you have a web link for the schools you are looking at? I found a really weird “Bok fu Pai” school in Denver, Colorado, I have no idea if they are affiliated with the school you are looking at. I don’t know if there are several BFP schools or organizations that may have no connections to each other. The one I found on the web, I get the feeling they just made it up, along with a whole lot of other stuff.

4. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

When trying to learn defense or offense, your main focus is on the target, that is the main principal to the finest point. As you practice your offensive moves, practice doing counter moves to your opponents strikes, practice this not only physically, but mentally as well. As far as losing weight, you can lose weight from training, it is just dependent on how you train, and how often. I personally would recommend Wushu, you will see how the movements will help you with your balance, free and swift movement, and strengthening every muscle in your body. Start this out slowly, learn the moves gracefully, then start speeding up your moves, as you get faster, you will find it is strenuous workout, and you will find flab turning into muscles. Many people do not see Wushu as a martial arts for combat, but I assure you, it is very deadly. I hope this answers your questions and helps you.