Is Matt Fiddes running a McDojo?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by LemonSloth, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I also want to make it perfectly clear that I think he is selling ineffective snake oil/cookie cutter martial arts and is basically a shameless self-promotion merchant who has a mouth and ego much larger than his ability - but he is just one more in a long list

2. Hannibal

Yeah half might be being a bit kind, but you take my point! :)

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What gets me is how people agree to teach as part of a franchise that has someone else's name!?!
    I know Shotokan is basically Gichin Funakoshi's pen-name, Wing Chun is named after a person but "Matt Fiddes martial arts" just doesn't have the same feel or ring to it.
    I think a style of martial arts should have a more ambiguous name to it so it can continue beyond the founder.

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

The thing that concerns me about the clips above is that, almost regardless of your training priorities, the skills displayed in those videos wouldn't be sufficient to meet them. Exercise, self-defense, competition. The people highlighted in those videos don't have the chops (so to speak) to succeed in any of those spheres.

I'm all for kids feeling good, though it'd be better if it were predicated on something true. And the social aspects of training are probably being addressed by these schools. But no school I've ever seen has made "making friends" a top priority. It's a side effect, but they invariably invoke images of being able to handle yourself physically, whether in the ring or the streets. And I'm just not seeing that.

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yep, that's my beef. My mom called it "honesty." When you're not honest, the law calls it "fraud." It's actionable both in civil law and criminal law, though I agree with someone above that the govt should not be in the business of deciding what is or is not "self defense."

I hate frauds. I really really really hate frauds. :mad:

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Enough flowery metaphor and sugar coating, pal. How do you feel about fraud?

7. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

There is not enough soap in the world that could scrub away the horror of what I have seen.

Poor timing of me to watch those while eating dinner, I nearly lost most of it laughing :eek:. The Choi Kwang Do one was my favourite though. I've not seen such bravery....

Where does he stand compared to Frank Dux and Ashida Kim?

I get that in an ideal world, MA should be about the training and not the fees. In a practical world, the costs have to be considered too, fair enough.

But he could at least have the courtesy to train properly. Which goes for anyone that puts themselves in the role of an instructor mind, but especially for guys that have many followers and take that much money off people teaching some bogus nonsense.

8. Hannibal

He is better than Dux and Kim...but only just. At least he has some level of pedigree in an art

9. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

two things....

whenever i'm feeling down, i just put on some wmaa demos, because man that just gets my blood pumping. it's the miley cyrus twerk of the martial world.

it would be fascinating to see studies on or do a study on how people "perform" to expectations as the situation arises. i have no doubt that the kid in the "no touch" video actually is out cold. and i suspect it's because he knew his "sensei" was giving him the "no touch ko" so he might as well knock himself out.

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

You got that right. (And you dig up the scariest videos, Hannibal!) I didn't watch the Choi Kwang Do video until just now. This is going to sound over-the-top fake, but honestly, if it wasn't labeled "Choi Kwang Do" and/or I didn't know that was the name of a martial art, I WOULD NOT have known what they were doing. Er, I mean, rather, what they were pretending to do. That's my sincere reaction. I would not know what they are doing, except to say that every one of them in the video moves like a little boy imitating Power Rangers. :Alien:

That must be it. It's an adult fan club of Power Rangers. Double " :Alien: ", wow.

I'm also thinking that in WMAA, the belt colors must be different, because those were not "black belt" students. :Alien:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  11. Hannibal

Oh you should see some of the crap i pull up on the web to torture myself with!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQKZb4u2k_c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQKZb4u2k_c[/ame]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Is this the same Matt Fiddes? :S

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdNshXt5Xts"]Michael Jackson former bodyguard, Matt Fiddes Live on Daybreak - 25 June 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The very same.

14. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I must be missing something. :confused:I am not saying Fiddes is good, but the other stuff Hannibal pulls up looks MUCH worse to me.

At least some of the the Fiddes people fully extend their kicks and look like at least a little power might be behind them - they put a little hip power into it - a little snap and energy. Those other videos don't even have that.

That flash dance and the fool people below that - I am far from a great MAist, but I wouldn't even be remotely scared of one of those people (even the black belts) having even a touch of power in any hit. No body behind it, not even full extension, nothing............

I once pulled up some Aikido school where the form was put to country music. It looked like a line dance, not a MA form.

Then there is the Kaia master who hit people with magic chi energy in the air and they fell over, but got slammed by a mid level fighter.

BTW, I pulled up a Fiddes video of him training one of the other Jackson brothers. Guy wouldn't take off his hat during the "workout." How can it be a workout if you hat won't even fall off? So I am not endorsing him.

I am just saying I have seen worse. Am I essentially agreeing with Hannibal here? The coffee hasn't kicked in yet. My brain is foggy.

15. Hannibal

Yes you are....soon you will be collecting knives and shouting at people online about how much you hate Elven scum

16. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Aside from the fact that Fiddes claims to be a 6th/7th "level black belt" and still punches and kicks like a noob?

Some of the guys who train under the Fiddes franchise are much more talented than he is and might also raise some OK students...if it was less about the money and more about the training.

I've seen it when they did "bo forms" to something like Lady Gaga. I was genuinely speechless.

If I remember correctly, that was from the training session where Matt ended up roping Tito into coming along from one of his classes. The whole thing was a horrific mess and he ended up trying to sue them for a few million over travel expenses or something silly like that. Hilarious documentary.

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I, and one of my assistant Instructors, spent ages tonight explaining to parents that we wouldn't let their children grade at the weekend because they hadn't been training over summer and weren't ready.

I could have taken their money and let some fail, thereby saving us a lot of grief and earning me a few more quid. It's Christmas soon, I'd like that money to buy my own kids presents.

"My son/daughter hasn't graded in a year, surely he/she can do this grading?"

"No, because they don't train consistently enough to improve and they're just not ready yet."

Meanwhile, down the road, is a Fiddes-alike set up who will give you your free introductory lesson then charge you £300+ up front, but that gets you a uniform and GUARANTEES your child passing their first & second grading.

Most parents know nothing about MA and frankly don't care. They think of gradings as like exams they can buy. If they can pay for little Tommy to be a black belt and feel more confident, regardless of actual skill, they'll do it.

Mitch

18. aaradia

El Mitcho, what you describe is why I lean towards PGsmiths attitude.

I am not one of those people too worried about bad MA out there. I think very few people are truly victimized by going to a bad MA school. I think they are too lazy and don't care enough to find a good one. The ability to find a good school with proper information is out there. If people don't put the work in to find a good school, that is on them.

It is like my co-worker who bought a used car, didn't take it to a mechanic for inspection before buying it, then complained when it had repair issues right away. I like her, but I really didn't feel much sympathy for her having to spend money on car repair bills.

I am all for information being out there for people to make informed decisions. But I have seen people on variious MA boards over the years take on bad schools as their personal crusade to "save" people from bad MA schools. I don't get it. If people want to do bad MA for ego, or laziness, or whatever, I don't respect it, but I don't waste too much time worrying about it either. I do feel bad for the kids who's parents do this to them, but that is the responsibilty of the parents.

I also have seen a lot of people on other boards who act like they are concerned about others training, but it is really a way to boost their own ego to think they are superior to any other school/ style/ etc.

I have enough on my plate working on my own training to worry too much about others training.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  19. aaradia

I respect your integrity here.

I have seen this at my school. I have seen parents who enroll their kids in so many other activities, they can't come in to train much in MA. Then they complain and take their kids out of the school because the kid hasn't gotten an advanced level sash after a certain amount of time. Showing up once a week for your private lesson doesn't cut it. Being a member a long time, but not practicing doesn't cut it. But some parents seem to think that is enough. It doens't work like that at my school.

20. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

This is the point though. Parents making bad decisions for their children based on poor information. And it goes back to the question of fraud.

A parent might go to a Fiddes-esque school and ask if their 8 year old will learn how to defend themselves. "Yes!" might be the answer.

A parent might come to me and ask the same question. Answer? "No, your 8 year old cannot learn techniques that will let them physically overpower an adult. We will mostly teach them a sport that will increase their confidence, fitness, flexibility, all of which will change how they carry themselves and make them look less like a victim. "

Guess which answer parents prefer :D

I'm overstating the case now, but you take the point. :)

Mitch