is lau gar forms on the net now?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by oldman, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Freud > God

Freud > God Valued Member

People are jealous of course, excellent students like me and you, plus extraordinary instructors and well then theirs master yau who is just on a whole new level lol.

2. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Where about's in the UK is that/which club?

I don't think the BKFA get's much stick at all really, you should re-read this thread and see the comments made about Non-BKFA clubs performing on YouTube - they get slated.

The only "stick" the BKFA are getting is myself (and others) asking legitimate questions about the lineage and evolution of the syllabus, and derivations of the forms.

3. yeeu kui

yeeu kui Valued Member

re:

You are so RIGHT.
    MASTER Yau is on a totally different level.
    I have seen a few Guardians in action, too.
    Very impressed.

Only 50+ plus years for me to get that good :D

4. Tim T

Tim T Iam Jacks Smirkng Revenge

are there any videos online of master yau? have 0nly ever seen photos

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Nope, none online Tim. :)

6. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

I saw him in real time before!

7. Tim T

has everybody seen BKFA got a new website? or is it that i just havnt checked it for ages?

looks sooo much better than before. Havnt had time to read it all yet :D

8. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

9. w1ggy69

w1ggy69 New Member

im a student of lau gar and my instructor was taught by Master Yau himself. when we were being taught jorn sau my instructor said that this form was relatively new to the syllabys and master yau later included it to weed out the people who werent commited enough as this form is a little harder than kay boon sau fa. hope this helps.

10. Freud > God

Freud > God Valued Member

Please don't start.

11. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

bloody hell, where you digging for buried treasure when you found this thread?

12. d8v1d

d8v1d Valued Member

I'm just in the process of learning this set now ready for my grading. Originally i didn't like it, but its really grown on me. Still my favourite set has to be fei long gee, which was the first set i learnt.

13. NUKKY

NUKKY Valued Member

why did you learn that set first? its one of the hardest to get right (very flowing and tai chi like).

14. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

And it is a purple sash grading set. Usually you would train for 18 months + before learning Fei Lung Gee.

15. herbert

herbert Valued Member

Rubbish.

16. herbert

herbert Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgwpVzmlsvg"]YouTube - Interview with Master Yau of Lau Gar[/ame]

You will have already seen it, but watch it closely.

Watch the sections of Charp Choi, Fei Long Chi & Lau Gar Luk Hop Kuen and compare them to what you do. There is a girl on the site for your club doing the start of FLC and it is nothing like the original.

Also check out the little bit of the Wu Dip Dao form, amazing!!!!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  17. Tim T

lol i can’t believe that this thread is back ?

Herbert, looks like I’m just in time to read your last post. The video which you commenting on is an old video which i made for the club when i was a blue sash a few years ago. I agree that the forms shown in the video are not correct and in retrospect, with what i know now i would not have used the clips.

The lady in the video is Avrile, and yes she does seem to do " her own" version of that form but at the time i did not know that form and thus was not able to know that. And the guy doing Far Kuin does not do the wu dip ma bit or however you spell it, because Kevin Brewerton took it out of the form. I asked if they minded me learning the form with the sitting down bit and that is what i got taught, it was not a problem. Kevin has made changes to the style and his version is different but no necessarily any better or worse, he took out the bits that are frankly, not very useful.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  18. herbert

herbert Valued Member

Hi Tim, thanks for your honest reply.
    With respect I have to disagree with you concerning the removal of wo dip ma from far kuin as it is normally removed because it is hard to do, not because it is not useful.

The movement trains the leg to be strong and have alot of spring in them.
    The correct way to perform it is to drop quickly and not leg your bum touch the floor, but to spring back up. So it could actually be a very useful technique if it is performed well.

Now for an aging old git like mayself it does get harder to do over the years, but is essential when performing the wo dip dao (butterfly knives) form.

I tihnk you know me by now Tim and I have nothing but respect for Kevin and his fighting skills. He was one of the best ever, in fact I was watching a DVD of the "Clash of the Titan's early years", the other day and it reminded me of why I got into Lau in the first place.
    It was pure exhilarating fun. The fighting back then was hard, brutal to be honest and I loved every minute of it.
    Watching Tony and Bob Sykes, Kevin, Alfie, the "overdog" etc...... just amazing!
    Life takes us full circle sometimes, and I now just want to pad up and mix it up again!!!

Enjoy your training.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  19. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

My word, three years ago when it all started....................look how we have all changed.

:D

20. herbert

herbert Valued Member

3 years ago????

You did Lau for longer than that didn't you? We've been arguing on various forums since the interweb was created!!!

How is the MMA / Muai Thai training going Su?