is judo just about throws?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Southpaw535, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I considered taking judo once but believed it was based only on throws and I had issues with that. It's great being able to get someone on the floor but what then? I have recently revised that oppinion somewhat but I'm a little confused over wshat judo actually focuses on. I recently read a thread that was commenting on striking and from what I gather thats fairly rare. But I also got a book out of the library on judo and it was demonstrating ground submissions as well as throws. So is it just aobut throwing your opponent or is there more to it?

2. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

Judo has ground fighting with pins, arm lock submissions and chokes. The striking is taught in Kata's above black belt level but most schools focus on Olympic judo and don't practise them realistically.

3. Southpaw535

thats a shame. i'd definately be interested if the school incorporated all that. If it helps the ones in my area are all part of the British Judo association, so do you know they'd be olympic instead?

4. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

I'm from the States so I don't know much about British judo organizations.

5. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Moved from Q&A to Judo.

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Most Uk judo seems to be about 50/50 ground and standup. Cheap as well.

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

My school is a BJA school and we do about 50/50 throws/groundwork. I would say go to the local schools, ask them what they do and try a couple of classes with each of them. If they don't do enough groundwork for you then try combining Judo with BJJ - that's what I do and they compliment each other really well.

In my limited Judo experience, the groundwork seems to be split between hold downs (which score points in competition) and submissions, whereas the BJJ doesn't really do hold downs, it tends to concentrate on going for the submission.

I often get frustrated in Judo groundwork because the hold downs score and you just get stood up again, rather than leaving time on the ground to try to escape to go for a submission.

Like you I was put off Judo for years because I thought it was just throws. However, if you find a good school it is much more than that. Unfortunately, the way competition scoring goes it tends to be the throws that get the big points. I would much prefer it if they changed the rules to allow for more time on the ground, but then if you do BJJ as well you get the best of both worlds!

8. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

For what it is worth I have a great number of friends who are judoka. EVERYONE is a tough sob.
    I would definately recommend it as a base art and consider cross training in another.

regards koyo

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

They always are :cool: It's not something you can train half-hearted in.

10. Southpaw535

thanks guys. guess I'll give it a look. better thna sitting on my backside all summer

11. Just Guess

Just Guess Valued Member

The school I'm at right now actually feels like it's split 40/60 throws/groundwork. I miss practicing the throws all the time, but I've picked up some great ways to attack the turtle position and one choke that is just plain brutal.

12. righty

righty Valued Member

I might get flamed here but as a practitioner of both Judo and Jujutsu, if you are looking for something that incorporates throws, strikes and groundwork you might want to think about Jujutsu as well.

Also have a read of the 'Newaza' thread in the Judo forum if you are worried about it just being about throws. 'Newaza' refers to ground grappling techniques.

And I completely agree with the tough sob comment.

13. Southpaw535

i might spark off a debate about how hard i look for a club again, but my local jitsu class train in a gym so they have a minimum age of 16. my plan was to wait a few months and take BJJ and muay thai but im bored of being interested in MA and not doing anything.

14. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Lie about your age..I do all the time.:)

regards koyo

good luck when you do start training.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  15. Southpaw535

thanks. MD sorted out muay thai for me but the guy knows im underage, but he lets me help out before the classes and has given me a bit of tuition off the record. the bjj ask you to get a gym membership and it needs proof of age.

16. righty

righty Valued Member

For the record, I was recommending you try Japanese JuJutsu, not Brazilian.

17. Southpaw535

i know but i prefer brazilian

18. IceBurn

IceBurn New Member

The nova uniao bjj in portsmouth train in a gym but you dont need to be a member of the gym to get in. There is another bjj club in portsmouth if your still interested http://www.kamonbjj.com/

19. Southpaw535

thanks, I only knew about one run by fitness first.

20. default

default Valued Member

why not find a good MMA gym if you want to learn throws/groundwork/striking?