Is it me, or is it anyone else?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by 47MartialMan, Mar 11, 2016.

1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

See this to me is a silly argument - stronger gun can certainly impact the manufacture and security of gun, never mind taking measures that restrict access to guns, such as those prohibiting people convicted of domestic violence or diagnosed with severe mental illness from owning a gun.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  2. philosoraptor

The problem is anecdote is not reflective of data as a whole. Several children in my father's generation and my own were killed by mishandling firearms. This doesn't become a relevant fact for political discourse until it is put into a societal context.

This misrepresents scientific research as being strictly for or against something. Corruption of data is a problem, but that's why there are generally strict requirements for disclosing conflicts of interest and peer review. The idea that because some scientific studies are corrupt, therefore all scientific studies are bankrupt, is a kind of sophistry. The same measures and checks go into gun research as do the computer you're using, as does the plane you fly upon, automobile you drive, whatever. This kind of defense is only invoked when one has no other argument; it is called 'poisoning the well.'

3. philosoraptor

4. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Yet your opinion Is at least partially formed by those events. Correct?

I agree that not all reserch I'd one sided. However here in the states there is a special interest group for everything and they pay for research up the wazoo to further their own interests.
    The tobacco industry paid for a study to prove tobacco was not harmful. I have read anti gun reserch papers that made up stats. The medical industry Volkswagen the government. Even consumer reports have done it as well. My point is even trusted sources are often swayed.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  5. raaeoh

Over 90% decrease seems a bit high by just stamping ammo and making it harder to purchase a gun. The criminals will still be criminals. And suicidal people will off them selves any way they can if the really want to end it.

I don't think that these would work as they hope. I do agree that background checks should be more thorough, and there should be a waiting period on any fire arms purchase

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  6. philosoraptor

Yes, my opinion is inherently flawed as it is an opinion. It is when I take that opinion to task and produce research supporting it that it becomes a meaningful opinion.

I think you might want to edit this paragraph?

7. philosoraptor

Actually, frighteningly, suicidal people will not off themselves anyway they can. Surprisingly, if you put a bit of an obstacle in their way, depressed people really have trouble getting past it. Which makes sense really. You actually do see higher rates of suicide among gun owners than among non gun owners. I'm not sure if you have an argument here with any data to support it, or just a prejudice.

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Access to immediately lethal means is a well documented factor in suicide.

9. raaeoh

Agian personal experience. These are the only facts I have. Mother tried 4 times before she was committed, my freind who fail with a gun finally succeed by way of pills.

I believe that gun do contribute to a high rate of suicide it only make sense so do razor blades, pills, rope, and bridges.

My logic may seem flawed. It is. It is based on my experience. I tend to take experience and learn from it. I am not set in my ways and often change my opinion based on facts, and my experience.

I am in no way attempting to sway anyone's opinion on this subject. I am only sharing mu experience and opinion.

10. philosoraptor

As long as we're going by anecdote, I'm going to say that it's impossible to get a woman pregnant through sexual intercourse.

11. raaeoh

Sorry you have that problem. Are you sure your doing it right? ;)

12. philosoraptor

Yes. With protection.

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

And I'm just going to dive in straight away with my sympathies for your loss and difficulties with your mother Raaeoh, that's tough mate and we all wish you and yours well.

Mitch

14. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Always carry concealed on a first date.... :D

15. philosoraptor

Apologies Raeohh, this should have been my first response.

16. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Video removed

Warning bad language contained within.

I think Jim here nails the popular progun arguments.

Video removed. Not acceptable and we can't get around the ToS by putting in a warning, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Video removed. As above.

Part 2, again warning, language is australian in nature. Nsfw

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
  18. raaeoh

No worries. No apologies necessary.

19. raaeoh

I actually laughed at the irony

20. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Good :) Many of us train to inflict damage but sometimes inflicting laughter and smiles is just as important :)