is hapkido like judo or jujitsu?

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by samuri-man, Jan 7, 2006.

1. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

hi i wish to learn more about hapkido because iv only heard things about it, but if there was a school in my town i'd consider learning it. so is hapkido like them or not? if so how much? if no please tell me what its like?

2. kmguy8

kmguy8 Not Sin Binned

hapkido is a complete art with strikes, kicks, grappling, throws, weapons (sword, short stick, rope, knife, bo, etc...) it is decended from JJ and has more controls than TKD generally speaking and less emphasis on kicking. It's pricy but the best technique/system book I have ever seen was on Hapkido titled, "Hapkido", by mark tedeschi (spelling may be off). If you want a practical all-around art Combat Hapkido is good without the traditional korean feel. (I say that even though I know I'm gonna get flamed)

3. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

what do you mean flamed? would it complement karatre in any way?

4. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Duk Moo Hapkido tend to be like Korean Ju Jitsu - so, Joint Locking, throwing and kicking are whats mainly emphasised.

5. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

ok thanks alot

6. kwanjang

kwanjang New Member

Hapkido

Certain Systems of Hapkido contains elements of Judo, Jujitsu, TKD, Martial Weapons, & Aikido. Depending on what system of Hapkido you train in you can use nearly all aspects of the martial arts. It is not a complete martial art because a complete martial art would encompass material, knowlege and training that would be impossible to grasp in a lifetime.

Combat Hapkido, under GM Pellegrini, is esentially what it is called. If you only want to fight then go for it. GM Pellegrini publicly stated that it is what it is, not traditional HKD but Combat HKD.

If you are studying Karate and want the essence of what HKD offers then you may find some conflicts between the Linear movements of Karate and the circular movements of HKD. Even many TKD practitioners I have trained in HKD also struggle with the power in softness application.

Master Tedeschi's book is a nice compilation of techniques. Keep in mind he has trained in Hapkido, Taekwondo, Jujutsu, Judo, and Karate, thus he is going to have his own flavor to it.
    I recommend Dr. Hee Young Kimm's Hapkido and Kuk Sool texts. These texts are most likely the most traditionally accurate. He has a martial arts library that is amazing. He is literally a "been there, done that" Korean martial artist.
    We are still hoping that GM Ji will release his long awaited text and video curriculum. Do not hold your breath because he was taken advantage of by the producer.

I produce a Kong Shin Bup HKD home study program on DVD which is intended for schools that want to incorporate a complete curriculum.

7. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

I don't think so. A lot of Hapkido is in Karate - it just has to be looked for. Especially grappling techniques.

I think Hapkido is best described as a blend of:

Ju Jitsu - for most of it. HKD is descended from Daito Ryu Aiki-Jutsu.

Aikido - ditto. I think the founder of Hapkido (whose name temporaily eludes me) studied with the dude who founded Aikido (I can remember his name I've just temporarily forgotten how to spell it). So they share a lot from their common Ju Jitsu heritage. My comparison is that Hapkido tends to rely on more brute force than Aikido (Duk Moo HKD that is).

Judo - for many throws. I think Duk Moo HKD also includes many ways to counter the throws found in Judo.

Tae Kwon-Do - for kicking. Originally I believe HKD was a grappling art. But someone, somewhere changed it when the added TKD's arsenal of kicks (or Tae Kyon's - but most Korean arts that claim a lineage from Tae Kyon are talking rubbish so the kicks probably come from Tae Kwon-Do but I've never bothered to check).

Kung Fu - Duk Moo HKD uses a lot of weapons that are found in Kung Fu in a manner that is very Chinese.

Now thats done, I'm going to go and cook some turkey...

P.S. It would probably complement Karate quite nicely.

8. kwanjang

kwanjang New Member

Hello Alexander,

My statement about Karate was more of a generalization based on many styles of Karate focusing on the principle of physical power. Yes, the Okinawan systems use many techniques containing traps.

My statement was more specifically meant to emphasize on the importance to stay focused on what one wishes to achieve. I have taught HKD to many Karate stylists and it always amazes me that when I tell them to relax they still seem like their about to blow up..lol. Think of it this way, how many Sumo wrestlers to you see training in Win Chun? (Now wouldn't that be a sight to see).

Thanks for the input.

9. JimH

JimH Valued Member

Karate and Tae Kwon do are linear,straight line,based arts,they are mostly taught and used as Gross motor function.
    (as Alexander said though,many forms of Karate,like shotokan and many forms in Tae Kwon Do actually have grabbing techniques in their forms so they are found in those arts)

Hapkido and aikido are the circular arts which compliment the linear arts and make for a better combatant/fighter,the circular arts work closer in to the opponent and the work/techniques are a fine motor skill.

If one was living in Korea then TaeKwon do and Hapkido would be an available mix.
    If one lived in Japan,Shotokan(any karate) and Aikido or Jujitsu would be an available mix.

Depending on the lineage of hapkido followed one may find alot of kicks(Ji Han Jae's line) or few kicks (as found under the original teachings by the the followers of Choi)
    If one has training in the linear art of Tae Kwon Do they may see an overlap of what they do and what is seen in the line under GM Ji Han Jae.

Since many of us live where we can find hapkido,jujutsu (not BJJ)or aikido then one must experiment with each to find which fits our needs and compliments our linear art the best(the linear art being TaeKwon Do or a version of Karate)

For encyclopedias of Hapkido the two mentioned under Kwanjang's post are excellent as well as GM Myungs Book on Hapkido.

10. JimH

JimH Valued Member

Kwanjang,
    I posted and then saw your post,I would agree with the point made of many linear practioners being stiff and unbending,but they show what maybe encountered so one sees the importance of softening the opponent to allow them to bend to your will and thus allowing us to do our technique.

11. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

yes i'v seen some videos of hapkido in action and i thing i might investigate the school in my town, the only one, but i'm worried that it might be a mcdojo and i wont like it, i have hight hopes for study of hapkido