Is GKR a scam?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by puma, Aug 16, 2012.

1. kenkyu

kenkyu New Member

Sorry , i don't see any problems with the grading apart from how many there are taking it , i have seen a lot worse in my time .
    regards
    mike

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Just some linework really. Looks very 'arm' and not enough whole body or hip commitment. Posture is pretty bad with quite a few people leaning back in zenkutsu dachi. Don't really know what it's meant to be showing.

3. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I've definitely seen a lot worse. Not that I'm saying it's great though.

Also, I don't know anything about GKR (save for the door to door selling stuff) but I get a strong feeling that most of them do not practice any real striking practice against pads/bags/anything similar.

4. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

'Cause leaning back in Zenkutsu-dachi is like crossing the streams!! Never cross the streams!

5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Can anyone explain what is actually going on in this video?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL2dognTySE"]GKR UK Black Belt Grading 14/12/13 Video 11 - YouTube[/ame]

Is that black grade level sparring? Are there rules invloved that I'm unaware of that make it look so... awful?

I went for a GKR door-to-door krotty salesman job years ago (the advert did not make it clear what I was being interviewed for). I was told that I'd be a trainee instructor straight away, though that would mostly involve commission-only door-to-door sales.

I had never taken a krotty class in my life, but I would be expected to knock on doors of an evening and tell people how krotty had given me self-discipline and enhanced my life.

I could not, in all conscience, accept the job.

6. megazero

megazero New Member

in Wado Kai Karate grading all student have to do there Kata on there on one by one with gkr karate how can the Sensei keep an eye on all those black belt that may have bad technique at less if you make a mistake you will end up failing grade or not ready for it

7. LemonSloth

Looks like poor quality light contact points scoring to me.

8. megazero

megazero New Member

I remember when i train under GKR Karate there was no contact in kumite

but in when i started with wado kai there alot more contact

9. kenkyu

kenkyu New Member

How perfect does everyone need to be in an art ?

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Everyone needs to be able to reach their potential - but some arts have no potential to speak of so the journey is easy and consequently pretty worthless

11. LemonSloth

Well, that would explain a lot.

What's that got to do with anything?

12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Obviously, standards for grades are up to the organisation.

However, the GKR website states that they are preparing students to protect themselves from violent assault.

This is not only dishonest (which, even with my 20 minutes' experience of GKR, does not suprise me), but it is irresponsible and potentially harmful.

13. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I tried GKR many years ago and I seem to recall that one of the problems with the kumite is that they never taught any kind of intermediate steps between basics and free sparring. You did basics, which are pretty basic, then you put your pads on and did light kumite. But there were no partner drills that taught you movement or combinations or timing or unbalancing or any of that handy stuff, so what you ended up doing in kumite was pretty much trial and error application of the techniques you did in beginner-level basics.

Without ever having done reaction drills, most people's reactions were poor. Without having done combination drills, people attacked with single moves. Without having done movement drills, there was no tai sabaki. Without having done kaeshi ippon kumite, there was no strategy for countering and counter-countering. And so on.

I think that's what you're seeing in that video: people trying to free-spar using only single techniques from their kihon syllabus against an opponent.

14. Giant Sea Panda

Giant Sea Panda Valued Member

This post has nailed it, take the outline of 'kihon, kata, kumite' and interpret it as literally as humanly possible, go just a little bit further and you've got your average GKR class.

15. megazero

megazero New Member

GKR Karate Kancho is a major scam he self graded himself to 8th dan by memory when i went to one of his seminar if the gkr Door to Door sale ever come to my door i tell them im not interested and they are also trespassing as i got a sticker on my door to say no sale consultant... if they dont abid i can easyly take them to court...... I prefer Wado Kai Karate in Hamilton New Zealand plus it ideal for me as it only 10minute walk from my house.... this been going on for years about gkr karate being a scam everyone will have there own opinions i reckon it a scam train under those people for 3 years and they try to force me into becoming a instructor and i told them to stuff off and moved on to a more respectful environment with Wado Kai/Wado Ryu Style karate also learning a little bit about TSYR form of Aikido

16. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Maybe a little pagination wouldn't go adrift here but that aside, Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin Ryu (TSYR) isn't a form of Aikido.

Just so ya know ;)

17. megazero

megazero New Member

Thank for clearing that up with me

Cheers :)