Is Aikido to complicated to use in a REAL fight???

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by GhostRider, Jul 14, 2004.

1. GhostRider

GhostRider Student Of Life

master35 ... from your many remarks is it correct of me to assume that you attribute many of those comments from the article to me? I posted it for experianced Aikidoka's to peruse, answer some questions, and then pass their own judgement on. It was not an attempt to poke fun at or ridicule Aikido. I even said so, but not in so many clear words and that may have been my mistake as you have made clear to me.

When I was commenting on my own experiances such as what I was taught in Ninjutsu it was not with the intent to brag or state that I was an expert at what I was taught. Nor did I say what level of proficiency that I had reached in that particular set of skills. Nor is it my intention since it is not germane to my original intent. I said that as part of my questions to you, the experianced Aikidoka's of Martial Arts Planet. I was wondering if there was a similiar or even different set of skills that accomplished the same thing in Aikido.

If you seek verbal confrontation here, you will not find it with me, maybe one of the other posters, as confrontation and p*ssing folks off isn't my main objective.

Part of the reason I posted (and I alluded to this earlier, get your reading comprehension checked folks... :rolleyes: ) is that many non-aikidoka who are curious about the art do ask these sorts of questions. Another part of my quest was to ascertain what response is commonly given to such queries. So hopefully you weren't taking offence where none was intended. Thank you.

~ :cool:

2. Tintin

Tintin Cats: All your base...

<Mod hat on...>

You can edit your previous posts to include new information you forgot to add. This would be a better course of action than 8 separate posts, most of which contain mainly quotes anyway.

<Mod hat off...>

3. alex_000

alex_000 You talking to me?

Yes if you dont train in it :D

4. master35

master35 New Member

ooppsss :) sorry sir tintin :) dont know how to make it one post. i'm trying now to make it 1 post but the computer wont accept. if neccessary sir moderator :) and sir yoda pls. delete any post needed. thanx sir.

5. master35

master35 New Member

:) no offense man, just making views :) no confrontation intended man.
    you can also as well and wont object if you share your views ;)

6. bambeer

bambeer Whatareyoudoingrightnow

Although late in the conversation, I would like to add my two cents.

As a practitioner of the art (only shodan, so very much a beginner :) )I would say that this statement would be true if aikido was based on these techniques. These "complicated" techniques are not the final goal of aikido and are only a vehicle to understanding the greater principles involved in aikiwaza.

At our dojo we do both very fast multiple person randori and full reststance one on one randori, the techniques are never clean cut and when thought of ahead of time do not work right, BUT, if uke simply applies the concepts of entering and turning and placing the hands on the correct spot on uke's body, the techniques "happen".

Aikido is natural movement and follows all the principles of nature, its like relearning how to walk, and whats simpler than walking?

-cheers,

bambeer

7. Silver_no2

Silver_no2 Avenging Angel

Crawling I guess. That's why babies start with that rather than walking :)

8. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

I though babies crawled becuase they had no other option, because there muscle construction is so limited that they cant take any pressure pushing down on ther little legs for at least 1 year, or until they become strong enough. I would imagine that if they could walk straight away they would , as the try to copy everything else an adult does.

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Some babies don't even crawl. All my neices were bum shufflers. :)

10. aikinoob

aikinoob noobism is curable

so, we all agree that aikido can be effective.

who would've thought that would be the consensus in an aikido forum?

[sarcasm]

11. GhostRider

GhostRider Student Of Life

Then it was indeed my mistake and for that I do apologize. :eek:

12. BH Alexander

BH Alexander New Member

i was just wondering if anyone hade video or atleast stories of an advanced Aikido practicioner parrying against strong quick punches/jabs. this has been my biggest dillema w/ my motivation to take aikido. I don't know how well it would do against non dedicated movments ie: jabs, quick, nervous knife stabs, ect. like you would find in many streetfighting situations. Or would these just not be parried, and avoided until an opening is found?

13. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

I think you will find the moves you are looking for here: link

14. BH Alexander

BH Alexander New Member

were u joking? or were u serious about the moves. I know he studied aikido, but i mean anyone can do reversals under scripted conditions, but i mean i want to see non-scripted demonstration

15. master35

master35 New Member

:D just keep on posting man :D

16. master35

master35 New Member

here's a pic man. look for this movie of sensie seagal. it has its philosophy. and he said just take out some of the fun part ;) .
    [​IMG]

17. master35

master35 New Member

those are the fun part sensei wants you to reject. but he puts his philosophy on fighting :). but if you need to sell something the producer demands it. ;) but he could really punch hard. :D

18. aikinoob

aikinoob noobism is curable

19. Dave Rees

Dave Rees Old Git!

I did Aikido very briefly (6 months) & have nothing but respect for the art & Aikidoka, I found it very technical but that was more my problem, I truly believe it can be a devastating art used by the right person unfortunately that wasn't me!!! I stuck with Judo instead which suited me better, it's horses for courses, it's the martial artisit not the martial art that counts I believe.

20. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

My first aikido teacher could do it. I have no question in my mind. Granted he was fast and highly skilled ... but doesn't that come from practice? Practice practice practice, same as the boxers and the wrestlers and the MMA guys and everyone else. Keep practicing.

My teacher avoided when he could, and parried when he couldn't. The strength of aikido is it's avoidance. Footwork will take you far. He was very, very hard to hit because he never stood where he was "supposed" to stand. Damn footwork. But as for parries, aikido parries can be the same as wing chun or escrima or silat or karate parries. There's nothing special about a parry as far as I've ever seen.