Is Aikido really that hard to learn?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by SmilingBear, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Cheers Brian... That makes sense

Regards

2. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Personally I don't beleive the general concensus that says Aikido is harder to learn than other martial arts. In my experience students have problems with Aikido because they fight against what they are being taught. They walk into the dojo with preconceptions of what Aikido is all about and how things are meant to be done.

Time and again I've seen students repeatedly do exactly the opposit of what they told to do. But on occasion they drop their preconceptions of what they think they are supposed to be doing and simpley do as they were told. Then as if by magic techniques not only start to work but work convinceingly. I don't think this is coincidence.

Neither is it coincidence that people accept martial arts that focus purley on technique more easily. Most of us learn to throw some sort of punch as a child. Punching and kicking and twisting arms fits very nicely with our preconceptions of how things should be done.

Learning Aikido isn't difficult. It's letting go of your preconceptions.

3. Dave Humm

Well, yes I have to agree. Although I don't find Aikido easy :)

4. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Whoops, yes indeed it was meant to be slow rather than low.

5. SmilingBear

SmilingBear Valued Member

Good points Wolfie,

My only problem is that I think some Aikido instructors encourage new students to resist what they're being told by attempting to be inscrutable and mystical/philosophical instead of being clear about what should be done and why. People resisit what they don't understand, and it doesn't help when the instructor smiles knowingly, shakes his head and says "this is a 20 year technique", "a journey of a thousand miles begins with one step", "you must steal the technique from me", "you must settle your hara to tanden in order to allow your ki to flow in such a way that you can join with your attacker harmoniously", etc, etc, (fill in your own favorite trite evasive comment). When you consider the instructor probably hs a limited grasp on these concepts (even some shihan have said they had no idea what O'sensei was talking about when he got off on philosophical rambles) and the student has none, it's a disaster waiting to happen.

The question here isn't whether Aikido can be effective in a physical sense (we all agree that the answer is yes) or whether one is practicing a Do or a Jutsu (they both have Waza that should be studied vigorously and applied competently) but rather why it takes so long to get there. My position is that the instruction is to blame, and thet the instruction is poor because the instructors have elevated the philosophical above the physical creating a false duality that is anathema to Aikido training, and it's ideals of reconcilliation and unity. I also think that ego has crept in, and that while on the one hand saying "Aikidoists don't compete", etc., we have merely replaced physical competition with philosophical "my art is more complicate, advanced, developed, difficult, moral, etc. than yours" instead.

I love Aikido and Aikidoists but collectively we can be a smug, pretentious, bunch of posers, and I fear that our personal failings are beginning to effect the transmission of the art.

As always these are just my opinions, and I'm not trying to persuade anyone to agree. Just tossing them out as food for thought and hoping you'll do the same with yours.

--Bear

6. Dave Humm

In my aikido (at a very simplistic level) if my technique works with Bokken, Jo and tanto. Has a direct connection to the application of Buki waza (IE the origins of the technique) then that’s all I really need to know.

Passing on the "whys" is equally important as the "how’s" indeed one makes the other understandable however, with so many non orthodox schools who's roots have less than tangible roots to Japanese influences, the aspects of Aikido which explain why we do things in our style specific ways is often sadly missing. (but that’s a debate we've had here before)

Yes I study aikido but I cannot fail to acknowledge in my own training and the teachings I pass to my students, the origins of the art we study. The foundation of our art are, by far the most important aspect if we're expecting our aikido to credibly last our lifetime (and beyond)

Regards

7. SmilingBear

Dave,

I genuinely value your opinion on Aikido and I don't mean this at all facetiously or sarcastically; but I have no idea how what you said fits this context or why you quoted that snippet from my last post. Probably my fault, I've had a long day at work and I'm a little brain fried. Could you clarify please? I'm sure it'll make more sense in the morning.

--Bear

P.S. No hurry, no worry on the response cause I won't be here to read it. East Coast U.S. time is 5:30 and I gotta go get the kids from daycare.

8. Dave Humm

Hi Bear,

My quoted reply wasn't a criticism of what you said (quite the opposite) I wanted to reinforce, what you said is very true, from my perspective; I will NEVER talk in riddles to my students. I want then to know exactly what we do and why.

I tend to relate our taiso directly to Buki waza as often as possible, if students can physically see why I move in a particular direction or way and, relate that to either a threat with, or a response (by me) with a weapon, then that tends to illustrate waay clearer than trying to explain it verbally rather than, offering some rhetoric BS :)

Regards

9. Developing

Developing Valued Member

My instructors refer to this as emptying your cup. Although I study Jui Jitsu I think this concept is pretty relevant for all martial art systems. How can someone teach you if you are unwilling to learn?

I'm not going to insult the founder of akido Master Uyeshiba by attempting to articulate his purpose I will only state that I remember reading a quote by him somewhere that stated something like, "after 10 years of akido training you will have succeeded in learning the basics." I think the foundation of the art is just one that requires students to learn a lot of material. Because from what I am hearing about Master Uyeshiba he wasn't just an exceptional fighter but also an exceptional man. I have studied the origins of my art Jui Jitsu and my research states that it comes from the unarmed combat fighting of the ancient samarai warrior. It's an art that comes from times of war. This isn't to say that there weren't morally sound men involved with the origins of Jui Jitsu it's just to say that there probably wasn't as much emphasis placed on morals as with Akido because it was developed under different circumstances. I would think the instructors who place heavy emphasis on spirtual development are just following the origins of the art. I don't know for certain how well there understanding is of the non-physical things involved in the akido art that they speak of but I would definetly interested in taking an akido class some time in the future.

10. SmilingBear

Dave,

Thanks for the clarification. That's the way I took it, but I wasn't sure and didn't want to reply in a way that misrepresented your meaning.

Developing,

Well said, Emptying the cup is a metaphor used in dojos all over the world. My comments relate to those who ask you to empty your cup and then give you nothing to replace it with. In some ways it probably makes more sense to ask someone to get a bigger cup and integrate what they already know with what the new instructor has to offer; but I don't want to get all metaphorical after complaining about it in earlier posts.

I also don't feel qualified to completely interpret O'Sensei's philosophical position. But my understanding is that he intended (at least in part) for students to come to a greater understanding of the philosophy through the vigorous study of the waza, and I fear that part is missing (or made overly difficult) in many dojo. If the waza weren't an important path to understanding of the message O'Sensei would have aboandoned it entirely and become a priest (or whatever the appropriate title is) in the Omotokyo faith and encouraged people to convert.

--Bear

--Bear

11. Dave Humm

The process of emptying one's mind isn't supposed to leave you with 'nothing' it is supposed to bring one's mind to a place where you are able to absorb the teachings of one's instructor.
    This isn't entirely correct. There is quite a difference between the code of ethics known as Bushido and the religious teachings of Shinto and those of Onisaburo Deguchi; although at some levels they merge and separate.

The origins of "aiki" are older than God's dog and just because Ueshiba is 'generally' accredited as the founder of "aiki"do (and in turn "aiki", which is a common misconception); people assume the spiritual and philosophical aspects of "modern" aikido (the art which was officially recognised in the 1940's) are those of the origins of the art - again this is not entirely true.

Many people on this forum (and beyond) will know that I do hold fairly strong opinions on the spiritual and philosophical aspects of aikido, and I wish to reinforce these by saying, I often find it a little conceited of instructors who attempt to teach *their* interpretation of the founder's philosophy, especially when many have had absolutely zero contact with the Ueshiba family or the founder's uchi-deshi. I find it rather odd that some will teach a physical skill (that they learnt themselves) then, attempt to teach together with those physical skills, a philosophy which is after all nothing more than their opinion, unless of course it is backed up with some form of academic learning. Indeed even in my relatively short aikido life, none of the Japanese instructors I have had the pleasure of receiving instruction from, have ever attempted to discuss or teach 'aikido philosophy' as part of a formal class or grading syllabus yet, interestingly I have found western instructors have.

Aikido is a physical Budo - a Martial Art, and for it to remain credible for generations to come we must IMHO make sure there is a reasonable balance between hard physical training which develops strong aikido and, the philosophical aspects associated with... It’s not the art, but the PEOPLE who study that make aikido what it is - either good or bad. Remember, the technical aspects of the system are not directly philosophical. PEOPLE choose (if they are given the choice in the first place) to be able to express (ideally) compassion through their actual technique or, if the need be, make such techniques which cause injury or worse. This is a primary reason why aikido takes such a long time to really learn.

To reach a level of skill where you can confidently neutralise an attacker or attackers without causing them major physical injury may take a person an entire lifetime (and some like myself may never actually reach that level of understanding and ability)

Regards

12. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Just to clarify an influence which may have shaped Ueshiba and others, including Deguchi: In Buddhism, emptiness is a precursor to to 'becoming', in one's mind, a Buddha with the traits one wishes to possess; i.e. your mind is at one with an entirely new personality and power. This is simply self - hypnosis, as advocated by Paul McKenna on TV recently in his quest to rid others of negativity and phobias. 'Emptiness' allows one to lose one's inhibitions and psychological limitations by replacing negatives with positives. (I have no data, but from the media and my contact with some, most top athletes and footballers seem to have a motivational expert working on such issues.)

Since our whole 'reality' is based on what our mind believes, by manipulating it we are able to achieve many things which we would otherwise find fearful or 'impossible'. IMHO Any MA student who achieves excellence does so by programming his/her mind for success. O Sensei had, IMHO, a very clear grasp of this concept and its application.

The rest of Dave's posting is immaculate and irrefutable - and pretty good, too. :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2005
  13. Dave Humm

How does one go about this Kiaiki ?

Regards

14. Developing

Developing Valued Member

15. Developing

Developing Valued Member

I have learned some akido through my jui jitsu instruction but am still looking in from the outside so to speak and can only go on that. I have been told by my some of my own instructors who have trained in Japan or have family who has trained in Japan that the experience is quite different. However you seemed to speak of the philosophical nature of the art and that western instructors in particular emphasize doctrines of the art that may or may not coincide with the founder's family/dojo in Japan. I would think this to be fairly serious.

16. Dave Humm

Well this is actually my point, unless one has actually trained with O-sensei himself or the first or second Doshu, the philosophical aspects of the art can only be an opinion of either what one has read or assumes from other sources. Unless of course one has some form of specific learning in this subject. - What exactly *ARE* Ueshiba O-sensei's doctrines ? I'm sure we could all put forward a common theme but to my understanding, there is no single definitive on this subject because the founder's philosophies are so very widely interpreted as meaning slightly different things.

That said, it isn't Ueshiba O-Sensei's {actual} philosophy(s) which could be questioned but that of those people who in one hand are ultra "love and harmony lets dance around and look pretty" and the other extreme of "combat above all else"

Sorry for the ramble I'm finishing a night shift so dog tired.

Regards

17. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

There are certainly lots of instructors out there who seem to get their kicks through ego massage. (It doesn't just happen in Karate Kid movies that kids get their minds bent by a leader/guru/'master' and I read recently that the extremist cults prefer bright kids because they can programme them at an even deeper level!). After a while I'm sure we all get pretty good at sussing out, within minutes, if a club is run for the benefit of its members or for the ego of the instructor.

Aikido's strength is also its weakness IMHO in that because there is so much potential to explore the philosophy, it leaves students open to charlatan 'masters' who manufacture a philosophy, grade and lineage to make themselves more credible, epsecially if their physical skills are limited.

We are all constantly programming our minds to absorb new ideas and new physical skills and I'm pretty convinced that we can improve our mind's power and fitness through training, just as we can get our bodies physically fitter and more skilled. (Leaving aside my almost daily destruction of thousands of cells through drink!)

To answer Dave's question about training to gain a positive 'winning' attitude: (How does one go about this?) IMHO it must be suited to each individual - personally I use meditation and don't respond at all well to some guy 'motivating' me. I will only take instruction from someone I respect and who respects me (I think Tohei emphasised this in relation to the correct spirit in which to instruct in 'Ki in Dily Life'.)

There may be no time to pander to individuals when training a large force, but I reckon good instructors know who needs praise, who can take a joke and who needs pushing hard.

Look at students just before a grading - keen and ready to go, with a bit of nerves? - Or crushed and ready for failure before they even get on the mat. I know naff all about Karate but I saw one grading when it was very obvious which students came from one particular club from their confident posture and readiness for the event. They looked ready to win as soon as they stepped in front of their opponents. All done with positive encouragement - but loudly or gently as needed, and always with a smile.

I've also done a fair bit of dog training in my time - it ain't much different! :)

18. mcbain

mcbain 2eXtReMe

If your great at counters it's not very hard.

19. Dave Humm

EH ?

20. ManabiMashoMan

ManabiMashoMan Banned Banned

Actualy I take Jujitsu which was traditionaly the form of Bushido which means the way of the warrior. Jujitsu was the style Samuria used, it was in essence Jointlocks, kicks, punches, Pressurepoints, Throws, Takedowns aka sacrificemoves, elbows, knees, chokes, and anything else you can think of. If you studied Japans history you would see that Jujitsu was also called Taijitsu, and through the ages it ended up having about 12 differnt names, Japan ended up teaching its students by way of Kata instead of fighting and sparring like in the older days and from then because people didn't actualy notice what was really working they assumed what would or wouldn't work and then you end up with the family styles what took out moves such as families who took out all the punching and kickign and instead added slaps, or chops this formed Akido, then came Chinese ideas from shoalin that formed Karate and so on......so on.

Basicaly the only true form or style is one that will incorperate all ways of defense and offense, I try to keep that in mind. And if you have learned for 20 years how to block a punch and if it doesn't work you should unlearn it. And find a block that does work. Tradition often gets confussed with Stubborness.

But I say that I take Jujitsu...not Judo. To me and my way of fighting that is like comparing the Moon and Sun. When most people see me in action they know before sparring with me that I am very grounded in Japanese history, and tradition of the Samuria. They assume that because I say I am in Jujitsu that I will grapple, this is very far from how I move and look. Most people mistake our style for KungFu WingChun or Sticky Hands....the idea of all martial arts was to be the best way to teach how to fight and defend. If you get away from that idea you fail as a Martial Artists.

Also Akido is very hard to learn to defend yourself in a real street fight using the style because of one Point that noone has said yet.

Akido teaches flow, movement, and relaxation, Which is very very hard to do when someone is tossing wild kicks and punches at you in a druken stupper. I respect Akido and use jointlocks and throwing from them alot and most people end up going into a frezy like state in a fight instead of relaxing ...

Our moto is the following.

Await thy enemies anger
    Slide by him, Become him, Break him.