Is Aiki ken based on "Dual" sword principles?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by izumizu, Jun 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

@Dean
    Yep, totally missed it. Here is one for you: What is a koan without words? I'll be very surprised if you get that one.

@dento
    Just those three? Kind of limited in principles if you ask me. Budo or martial art? Ohhh, wait a minute, your right. No other martial art has those principles in it. And especially in relation to taijutsu...

@aikiwolfie
    Yep, dual personality...I aspire to someday reach your current level of practice and training...

2. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

Only if you have idea about them like you.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Wouldn't know as my zen is pretty limited but if I tried to be clever I'd say that without words it might be.

公案

:D

It being a logogram rather than a word per se.

Or I suppose we could look at paradox found within transmission of Budo via ishin-denshin.

Sorry the answer is not very good but it's 6am and I've been up since 5 with a splitting headache.

So what is a koan without words...........

;)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  4. Dean Winchester

I suppose I could of been all mysterious and gone:

囲碁

5. embra

embra Valued Member

Most of us feel like this now. A very good forum is just being destroyed with garbage.

6. Dean Winchester

What do you do though?

Ignore the garbage?

Or show what's garbage and why it's garbage?

7. embra

embra Valued Member

There are a few very basic elemental questions that I would like to put into this forum on Aikido and also the roots of Aikido e.g. some of the Koryo aspects, as we have a decent cross-section of folk skilled in Aikido and the associated contexts.

However, its just not possible currently. I may be better going to the forums of Aikijournal.

Bill was great for this kind of stuff because he had 50 years of Aikido, bucketfulls of cross-trainig i.e. he knew the context and he was damm funny also i.e. he had a gift of making his posts an entertaining read.

8. dentoiwamaryu

I think you should still ask them.. Im always looking to learn new ideas or facts on Aikido. We could always just ignore him

9. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

I have decided that maybe Izumizu has something in his thinking and that I may of missed something in my Aikido practice.

Please enlighten me with this depth of knowledge and let me know where I can seek instruction from you.

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

embera please don't allow trolls to put you off posting decent questions. Mac and I are working on a solution to the problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2011
  11. embra

embra Valued Member

The problem is that it requires a lot of consistent concentration to form the questions.

When koyo was here, he helped enormously in shaping the context of my (and others) questions in these threads

12. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

Please let it involve duel swords.

Or maybe something like this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS0VhvoGWVw&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Hara-kiri or Seppuku‬‏[/ame]

13. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

@dean
    I thought of that also, when this koan was posed to me, and in a way you are actually kind of correct...which, like I said I would be surprised.

Not bad for 6am

Think along the lines of Sengai.

14. Dean Winchester

What you mean the bloke who invented the Playstation controller??

:D :D

;)

15. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

@shinkei
    you don't have to come train with me. Just open your mind a bit. Earlier in this thread you said that you poured over your material searching for dual sword.

Have you now added Saotomes video to this collection of your reference library?

Have you thought about comming to the US to visit the Midwest aikido center in Chicago and train for a seminar with Yokota Shihan?

16. dentoiwamaryu

Hi Izumizu, What is your background in Aikido?

17. dentoiwamaryu

I totally agree with you he was able to explain things so well. SO many times he said things that I wanted to but I guess without his experience it seemed more difficult. I can answer alot on Traditional Iwama Aikido but always looking or more understanding on Budo its self. Still Dont give up.

18. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I think it goes without saying we all miss koyo.

19. Dean Winchester

Yeah.

He'd of got my jokes too!!

The gentleman was awesome and whilst I'm not an Aikidoka he reignited my interest in the art with his posts and manner.

That speaks for itself, imo.

20. embra

embra Valued Member

In due course I will post my questions in new threads. I want to put some thought and care into what I post on these subjects - at least to explain why and what I am trying to understand just a fraction better.

Everyone's sensible input is always welcome.

I will be coming home to Scotland soon enough also (at least for a while) and will be resurrecting all MA including Aikido at Tenchi dojo

Right now, I am very busy finishing of a contract in Paris and studying Mathematics. In the past few months or so, I haven't done much training in anything as I simply haven't had significant free time.

More later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.