Iriminage Kotegaeshi Shihonage Katadori - Performed by me (Clip)

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by quoctrung2610, Dec 3, 2011.

1. quoctrung2610

quoctrung2610 New Member

My name's Trung Tran.
    I'm from VN.
    Tody I perform some Aikido's techniques. Hope u like it.
    Thanks for read.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cclEu9fQy6g"]Aikido Techniques Iriminage - Kotegaeshi - Shihonage - Katadori ( Performed by Louis Tran ) Vietnam - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCWLS-_BoSI"]Aikido Techniques Kaiten nage ( Performed by Louis Tran ) Vietnam - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  2. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

I dont practice Aikido, but i like what i see :cool:

Welcome to MAP Trung Tran.

3. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Very good!
    The one critique I would make is that on some of your techniques you lead uke very low which means you have to use a lot more force to change their direction. You don't need to pull them down THAT far, just leading them forward and off balance is all that's needed.

Besides that though it was very on point! Keep up the good work!

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I liked it too. Thanks for sharing.

Sketco brought up a good point about how far you take uke towards the ground in iriminage. A related point, if uke's hands or face hits the ground, that is atemi (the ground is striking uke), so the only reason to bring them back up for iriminage is to allow them to take ukemi. You don't have to allow them to take that ukemi, you could right from their face to the ground, not allow them to get back up and instead throw them with kaiten nage, because this spirals uke around while still moving them in the same direction as they are already going, IMHO.

My only criticism, very minor, is really a question about your pins. The pins are fine but were you not taught to put uke's hand behind his back or stretch the arm out when disengaging (after the tap out)? The purpose is to prevent uke from being able to immediately attack you after the pin with a concealed weapon or a grab. Just curious.

5. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

Taking people down that low in iriminage is kihon for some groups, I am sure that was the way he was taught to do it, or at least saw it on youtube and like it ;o)

I would like to see uke's strikes be a little more technically sound. I think that is something we aikidoka could always spend a little more time one, especially at dojo where most don't cross train with striking arts.

6. quoctrung2610

quoctrung2610 New Member

I have just practiced Aikido for 2 years, so I just get 2nd Brown Belt. I think I have to train and learn more about Aikido to be better. I will share more my videos performing Suwariwaza, Katame, Jiju waza, hope u give me more advices.
    And I want to say that I dont pull uke down, it's easy for me to use my body and movement to force them down. In real life, I think them will be stunned when their face bump the ground. If I "pull", I just use my hand, arm and I belive that Uke can't be taken down like this.
    Thanks. Sorry, I'm Vietnamese and not good in English.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  7. aiem

aiem Valued Member

Looks good. Is that a mat or are you practicing on the floor? I have yet to learn how to breakfall on hard surfaces. I've been slowing down my pace of breakfall training (in contrast to rolling) because of an injury. Perhaps some tips?

8. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

aiem,

this should be in another thread...but real quick, breakfall from a shorter height. leave post leg on ground as long as possible and get slapping hand on mat WELL before straight leg lands. You should hear two very distinct slaps.....arm/hand then leg. Again, that post leg shouldn't leave the ground until you're slap hand is almost ready to hit.

9. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Nice advice.

--------

aiem, breakfalling is to allow tori to practice technique. In real situation, your ukemi is to counter the throw, not breakfall. If you do end up thrown, you must protect yourself.

Often in a fall of a short distance I'll keep my eyes on the opponent to help me land on my side, keep the spine straight... often I'll land in a fetal position with my hand(s) bracing my neck. You should be aware that during a throw, an enemy will try to get you to land so that your spine is twisted, you land wrong (such as on your tailbone or your head), and/or attempt to break your neck. You don't see this in training, but that is the purpose of many throws in combat.

10. aiem

aiem Valued Member

Yes, sorry about that. You explained it very well, I can envision what you're saying. Thanks so much! I usually focus on lifting my upper body and I don't know if my post leg stays on the ground when I'm about to slap the mat or not. I'll focus on that on my next session. Thank you again!

11. aiem

aiem Valued Member

Rebel Wado, thanks for this as well! I guess what happened in my case is my partner threw me in the way you mentioned above. Of course this is "wrong" in training, but outside in a situation this would work fine. That advice about keeping your eyes on the opponent in a breakfall to land on one's side is a good insight. I'll work on that. Thank you!