Ipod problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Grippereeno, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Grippereeno

Grippereeno New Member

So I got this ipod second hand but it came with No software or leads. It seems like its one of the older ipods as the play etc buttons are seperate from the selector wheel. I managed to pick up a charger and usb style cable off ebay so i can charge the ipod up however after downloading the latest ipod updater and itunes/quicktime software from the apple website the blasted thing wont link to my computer to update/restore. Plug in the ipod and all the updater keeps sayin is plug in an ipod to see if it needs updating :bang: ...... Any help on this will be greatly appreciated

2. Wax

Wax Valued Member

Can you use the ipod? Check the version info on it. [settings > about]
    Is it set for windows or mac?
    Have you checked the serial number?

3. Grippereeno

Grippereeno New Member

Yeah the version is 2.1 the serial no. matches the number lasered on the back of the ipod and it is formatted for windows (which i use). What implications does this info carry?

4. Topher

Topher allo!

Unless it's dodgy, you could always ring up apple.

5. Wax

Wax Valued Member

Yeah, serial number was to check if it was legit, might want to check apples registration as well.

Is it charging? there might be a problem with the connection, possibly the cable. I have a cable that charges but wont connect it to my comp.

6. murphy81

murphy81 GM COMPUTER SERVICES

Also, is the cable the correct one for your GB Ipod? I had a 30GB Ipod, but a 60GB Cable, so I wouldnt work properly, so I took it back, and they swapped my Ipod for a 60GB Ipod! Not sure if they knew what they had done though...:rolleyes:

7. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Also try to get ahold of a firewire connection cable. If it's the version iPod I think you're refering to, they run much better on FireWire then USB.

8. Grippereeno

Grippereeno New Member

Thanks for the tips guys ill dig it back out and give it another go