Internal martial arts magazines?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Sandy, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Hi all,

Does anybody know if there are any magazines published for those of us who study internal martial arts? In the UK?

I ask, because I'm keen to find out what's hapenning in the UK and currently only hear by chance or word of mouth. I could be missing all sorts of seminars and learning opportunities!

I've seen a tai chi magazine in the past, but I'm learning bagua (with chi kung).

2. Happeh

Happeh Banned Banned

Won't magazines be out of date? That is what the internet is for.

3. Telsun

Telsun Valued Member

Where are you learning Pa kua?

4. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

In Brighton, I'm afraid, which could be too far away for you. I've heard of another teacher in Forest Row in Sussex, but don't know anybody in Kent.

Whether or not you find hsing-i or pa kua, you need a strong foundation in chi kung. (My instructor also teaches hsing-i, but requires a year's study of chi kung before he will teach you.) So you might like to start chi kung in the meantime. However, I'm a very new student of the internal arts, so others here will be better able to advise.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
  5. BaGuaMaster X

BaGuaMaster X New Member

www.realtaoism.com
    chris does some great seminars and such. Well worth the trip to london

6. Happeh

Happeh Banned Banned

There was an old journal that was quite informative in a historical sense. Lots of information on old chinese masters and lineage. Some articles on techniques etc. The guy writing the journal was doing Ba Gua I think. He was not so good at it. Read his insights and thoughts with skepticism.

I think it was called the Pa Kua Chang journal or Ba Gua Chang journal. I don't think it is being published any longer. Still, the provide good background and satisfy a person's interest for information.

You might find them on the internet. The entire series in a zip file. If I see one of them around here, I will check the title for you if that title is not correct.

7. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Thanks folks!

I guess Happeh's banned, so won't find out about the magazine. (For what was he banned?) However, www.realtaoism.com looked great and I might well pop along to a seminar later in the year.

8. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

No unfortunately you will not find out from Happeh (not only banned here but on a number of other ma forums too! ;) )

Here are a few links I came up with that you might find of interest......
    (I will check on that magazine for you in the meantime! ;) )

http://www.qi-journal.com/
    http://www.drjohnbaker.com/internalarts.htm (which will lead you to other links of interest)

9. Guo_Xing_Yi

Guo_Xing_Yi Valued Member

If anyone wants to learn xing yi and is in the Birmingham/Solihull area, email me ccollins@blackline.info and i'll do my best to acommodate you.

Sandy, your teacher says taht you need a years foundation in chi kung to do xing yi is lying. :)

10. Kamon_student

Kamon_student New Member

Internal magazine

Qi magazine is available in the Uk and United stsates I think Look on net for www.qimagazine.com.

11. lhommedieu

lhommedieu Valued Member

The Ba Gua Journal (no longer published) is available at:

www.plumflower.com/ba_gua_zhang.htm

Best,

Steve Lamade