Insurance

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by dentoiwamaryu, Jun 11, 2008.

1. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

Hi folks, wonder if any of you can shed some light on MA insurance. I basically need to get it sorted for my club. its been well over a year sine i took over the running of this club and everyones insurance has well run out. ive been so busy with other things i never thought. problem is the company the club was with before, called MADEC, i can not get intouch with them. they wont anser the phone or emails. Any one in in the uk preferably scotland recommend who and what to do. ive acctualy organised this before only apid my own dues. I understand why an instructor needs it, but what are the advantages to a student.I ask this as ive heard a lot of instructors say student insurance is worthless.
    thanks.

2. philipsmith

philipsmith Valued Member

insurance is never worthless. Instructors insurance is vital.

There are various bodies - if you are a member of a British Aikido Board association then your mebership should include insurance if not people such as Amateur Martial Arts Assoc. may be able to help.
    Make sure that your policy covers you as an instructor and is member to member although most policies will only cover "catastrophic" injuries such as loss of a limb or eye etc. due to cost.

3. dentoiwamaryu

interesting, thanks for that. Im an small independant school so i dont think i could or know how to join the bab. ill try the other one thanks

4. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

http://www.amauk.co.uk/

Try here they cover small independant groups. The cover isn't great but it is cheap.

The Bear.

5. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

I fully agree with Philip Smith, anyone teaching without public liability insurance is taking a chance.

A few years ago a group of us set up the British All Styles Aikido Associations for small independant associations and clubs, we provide both instructors & members licensing that includes insurance for UK based groups.

We have access to MASTARR national coaching qualifications that are recognised by the HSE, CIEH & Skills Active.

Member clubs are free to grade within their own syllabus. Although we do insist that instructors have a tracible lineage.

If you are interested I will send you details via e-mail.

Shaun,

6. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

The benefit to the teacher is protection against being sued. Too many people these days expect to be thrown around and survive. The benefit to the student is compensation when they get injured. This is particularly useful if they need time off work to recover. Or if they die it can cover funeral expenses.

Google martial arts insurance. You'll find you have plenty of choices. Aldo don't be afraid to approach the bigger insurance companies. They don't advertise all of their products. Sometimes you needs to ask. It never hurts to ask.

7. dentoiwamaryu

Thanks a lot guys, Shinkei, yes please send me some information.

8. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member