Instructor methods

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Elitistjester73, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

wanting SD and not wanting to learn how to survive and avoid Ground grappling is a major weakness in approch.

IIRC TJF doesnt do much force on force training either.

2. Elitistjester73

Elitistjester73 Valued Member

Agreed

Agree that the almost lack of ground fighting is an issue but I can also see their point re ground fighting. Is there a lot of ground fighting in BJJ? Haven't experienced it myself but they have circle defence and V defence, if you mean they don't apply techniques full on then that depends on your partner and sensei there is pressure testing but that is introduced later in the students development apparently.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Their point is myopic.

4. Elitistjester73

Strange but true

Yes the lack of ground fighting is short sighted especially as they are one of the largest jujitsu styles in the UK (their opinion). You'd think someone at the top would wake up to the idea of incorporating more ground fighting and make it a bit more rounded.

5. Dead_pool

Your thinking tactics over technique. You need to know striking, clinch and ground. Which ones to use, changes according to the circumstance, but you dont always get to choose your circumstances.

6. Dead_pool

V at dan grade - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMZ806oOyYA"]Sensei Matthew Sheppard Black Belt V - Jitsu Foundation Atemi Nationals 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

General TJF randori -

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFONBwKiavE"]The Jitsu Foundation Randori Nationals February 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

7. Elitistjester73

Ah I see

Thanks for those, looks pretty good to me the untrained eye. Some of the randori stuff junior grades looked a bit like strength taking over at times but I suppose that's to be expected with all the excitement.

The ground fighting point they're trying to make I suppose is, one on one ground fighting experience will win over some yobbo who's trying to beat you to a pulp but in a street fight while you're searching for the triangle his mates are busy trying to stove your head in with their feet and that's the point I can see but I can also see that lack of ground fighting is not good. I'm just trying to be balanced about what they say and what I need.

8. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Then your instructor sucks and you should find a new club.

In my opinion, and I suspect this might be a bit controversial, you don't need to train heavy contact/high resistance very often at all to survive violence if you're experienced with violence/high-level competition and have previously desensitized yourself to adrenal stress responses. Every once and awhile it's good for an experienced fighter to revisit, but it is beyond stupid to only train that way.

Who you train with is FAR more important than what you train in. Currently, you're quite likely just reinforcing dangerous/stupid habits from someone completely unqualified to teach anything simple, let alone something as demanding as violence resolution.

9. righty

righty Valued Member

I have no problem with arts that teach to finish things as quickly on the ground as possible to allow you to stand up fast for whatever might be coming at you next. But the better you ground techniques are, the greater the chance of finishing things quickly there.

You will not always have to option to remain standing so this is why ground techniques are taught. So depending on the situation it may be a very stupid decision to 'search for the triangle' and some cases it may not.

The videos are not great.
    The first are mostly compliant.
    The second - while that competition may have included some great matches and great JuJutsu the way it is edited means we don't actually get to see much of it at all. Show some full matches, preferably of the higher ranks and then we might get some better insight. As it was the video only showed very small windows of action, mostly of white and yellow belt grades.

10. Dead_pool

Well the first one isnt randori, Its multiple people lining up to take falls.

The second one looks like slightly poor judo.

I guess what were all saying is TJF doesnt teach optimum SD, you still enjoy it thats great, but be honest with yourself.

edit - there official trailer does mention SD numerous times -

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeEHSjcIh7M"]TJF Trailer 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  11. Dean Winchester

Or you could go for something completely different and go for Kali, FMA has a nice blend.

Hitting people around the head with sticks is loads of fun, just as long as your head gear doesn't spin around on your head when they hit you. :D

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Headgear? Wuss! :D

13. Dean Winchester

I'm glad I had it after one bloke kicked me in the head. :D

14. Dead_pool

Sticks wuss, I use a blunted metal bat'leth.

15. Dean Winchester

There's an idea.

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Blunted? Pah! Only children and petaQ's use those

17. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Start easy and progressively increase resistance. If you go easy all the way, you never find out if 1) your technique is effective or 2) whether you are personally able to pull it off in a pressurized i.e. realistic environment. If you go hard all the way, you never get a chance to break down the finer points of a technique and acquire the technical know-how necessary to apply a technique correctly.