Instructor credentials

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by lexmark, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

And of course let us not forget if it isn't genuinely japanese and can trace its lineage directly back to a wizened old japanese man with a wispy beard it must be utterly rubbish [/sarcasm] :rolleyes:

2. nickh

nickh Valued Member

True.

But not in most jujutsu systems.

And don't get me started on the red gi jacket ...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  3. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

:confused: :confused: :confused:

What??!?!?!?

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Jujutsu is not jiujitsu, and there is JuJutsu in the uk, you just have to look harder to find it.

5. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

erm.. its just a different way of spelling the same thing....

6. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Hi Garibaldi,

For most non-Japanese modern generic self defence jujutsu systems, the red-white block belt might be standard for 5th & 6th dan practicioners. The red-white block belt originated from Kodokan judo and was a belt that was given as a precursor to the now defunct, 10th dan, where the practicioner wore a red belt.

Could you please clarify what you meant there?

Thanks

7. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

jūjutsu, jiujitsu, jujitsu. All the same in linguistics and nature. Hell even the kanji is the same. Phonetically, jūjutsu is closest to the Japanese pronunciation.

柔術 

Last edited: Sep 11, 2007
  8. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

great thats that sorted now stop squabbling kids and get on with your training ..

Smurf :D :D

9. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Nothing wrong with a red gi jacket, as far as I'm concerned. It's a great colour! Just looks awful with a green belt.

10. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

i could see this thread going on for a long time on everyones different ideas of whats real jujitsu or jujutsu or jiujitsu

11. nickh

nickh Valued Member

Maybe I am wrong, but in my experience the "Red Jacket and White Trouser" combination is one of the biggest signs of a fraud.

I have yet to see a genuine soke of any Japanese jujutsu style wear this outfit.

12. Dead_pool

Me either, i'd also like to point out that in general the BJJ guys who do wear funny colours tend to look a lot better then the 'gendai jiuiuiujiuiuitsu' fellows that do, couldnt think why? :)

13. Rhea

Who cares what they're wearing as long as they can teach? Surely it's up to an instructor to wear what the hell they like.

14. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

A very sensible attitude, but not necessarily one shared by those who want their MA to be "genuine" have "lineage" and generally care more about the history than whats going on on the mat.

15. Rhea

Very true. I'd wear a purple gi just because I could and I like the colour. I wear a red an black mix for BJJ, but I'd get shot for doing that in a normal class I should think.

16. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

yea i dont think it really matters, we dont have them at my school we only have everyone wearing wite gi's except one style that uses the blue gi's

17. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

Hi Kogusoku

Yes, I appreciate the belting system came from kodokan judo.

what I was getting at when I said western jujitsu is japanese for reference as opposed to historically was that most of the modern generic jujitsu in the west is called "japanese" or "traditional" jujitsu but that seems to be to differentiate itself (from brazillian jiu jitsu) and doesn't truly come Japan

Its all jiujitsu/jujutsu/jujitsu to me!!!

18. Dead_pool

My point is that BJJ guys get away with it because they have some excellent skill sets, as do real Koryu guys. Whereas the 'Gendai' crowd have a lot more variation in there ability.

Thread drift, why do so many 'WJJF style' (BJJA etc) clubs promote themselves as practicing japanese jujutsu?

19. pj_goober

pj_goober Valued Member

Do they? or do they promote themselves as doing Jujutsu and other people, like yourself, hoist the japanese prefix on for them?

20. Dead_pool

Well a friend of mine, (shodan WJJF) was unaware that it wasnt japanese, plus our local dojo promotes itself like this:

http://domain1117555.sites.fasthosts.com/

Junsei Ryu is a modern style of Aiki Jutsu and is structured as closely as possible in the style of a traditional Japanese Ryu. Many of our teachings are fusions of traditional Aiki Jutsu application and modern combative techniques developed by both the late Brian Wrightson Kancho and his long time personal student of some 31 years & son Dr. Ash McKee Shihan.
    Junsei Ryu Hoshin Jutsu translates from Japanese as “The Pure/Genuine Methods of The Art of Self Defense”. Junsei Ryu Hoshin Jutsu is founded upon strong moral principles and it is our aim to always strive for combative truth, integrety and honesty. Our Mon embraces the wisdom of the eight circles of Happo No Kamae still taught in traditional Batto Ryu and Bugei, to this day.
    Junsei Ryu Hoshin Jutsu aims to bring back the tradition of combative methodology and honour to modern Aiki Jutsu, which in our opinion, has been lost to the application of sport. Under the guidance of Dr Ash McKee Shihan, Junsei is dedicated to the development of Aiki Jutsu, applying a non-political environment, welcoming who so ever wishes to train with us. We aim to educate individual martial artists to the highest possible standards.
    At this time some areas of our website are still under construction, so please bear with us and we will have them up and running in the very near future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.