Inner Knowledge. Inner Search. Inner Wisdom.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Princess, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Princess

Princess New Member

Brothers... Sisters.... I need your help, I need your opinions...:

--> If you were given a road in life... one road is to follow the path that have engraved for you - the path you are destined/meant to follow... and the path of the unknown, the un-engraved - the path you have to create yourself...which path would you go, and why?
    --> Ancient Martial Artists... the Ancestors of our times... have ponder the existence of the energy of balance - the yin and yang. Forget all about traditions, forget all about stereotypical things people said... what is your wisdom on that? Your wisdom of the concept of yin-yang? Simplicities into Complex...Complex into Simplicities... My Great-Ma have once taught me that everything have its meaning, if only we look behind its veil....What's your meaning of Duality in this Universe, in this World?

Blessings.

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

1. The unknown. If you already know what's going to happen, what's the point? On the other hand, remember that there IS no pre-engraved path. Your destiny, your character, etc. as you think of it does not exist. You define your own existence through your will.
    2. The whole ying and yang thing is a fairly common human construct. Man, nature, the universe etc. are fundamentally not one but two, yadda yadda yadda. Personally, I don't buy it. I think of the universe as an entirely physical, not a metaphysical or conceptual, construct.

3. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

1. As the good knight said, the unknown is far more tempting. The known path doesn't exist (to me at least) because I haven't been down it yet and i don't know what's there.

2. Personally, I don't really care what the nature of the universe is. One way or another, it is still the same thing (or group of things) so having the knowledge changes nothing. If I ever find out, it will be interesting...nothing more.

4. Kosh

Kosh New Member

You sure?

5. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

1. Our lives are not set in stone. I'd rather go down the road I didn't know.
    2. I could care less about the nature of universe it's too vast of a place for me. Though, this doesn't mean I just accept things based on face value either.

6. Togakure

Togakure New Member

If we where ever able to see into the future through science (and not affect it, because if you could affect what you was seeing, it would already be affected when you saw it)

Wouldnt that mean our lives are set in stone and everybody has a predetermined path to walk, which they cannot change no matter what they do?, perhaps 'will' is a human illiusion, the mind can do incredible things to protect itself and keep itself sane and functioning, it may well be that from the beginging of the universe, as soon as time was created, the future was set, for all and everything.

Personally I dont beleive that, and I dont beleive that we will ever be able to look into, or travel into (more than a few mili seconds) into the future, and if we ever are able to, I beleive it would either be totally disastrous (perhaps destroying the universe instantly) or you would instantly jump into another reality or 'paralell' universe (possible in some theories).

If the future was set in stone, I dont think there would be much point in living, who wants to live a life that they cannot change?, imagine looking into the future when your 12 and knowing you are going to murder somone or do somthing terrible some day?, it would also create total chaos, people would lose accountability completely (not being able to affect the future would effectivly mean the can do 'whatever' they liked, like looting, killing, ect, it couldnt be said they are guilty of anything but following thier 'destiny'.

Personally I think we will only ever be able to live in the 'present', and that the future is not set.

Perhaps this thread and the time travel thread should be merged 'destiny' and 'future' are pretty similar arent they?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2004
  7. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I don't buy the whole predestination thing. To me, the universe is a magnificent but amoral and cruel place, and the future as a physical entity does not exist. Human will is the only construct that can NOT be called an illusion, IMHO.

8. Vega

Vega New Member

-Well far as which path i would choose, it depends. I say that because if i could see my future but not be able to change it then i wouldn't want that because then life wouldn't seem interesting at all and what would be the point of getting out of bed if i knew what was going to happen.

Now if i could see my future and make changes for the better then that might be more tempting. Lets face it we all make mistakes in life and they end costing us things we cherish most..I could list many examples but im sure you get my drift. If i could not make that mistake then wouldn't that be a good thing?

Now i know people will post that making mistakes is part of life, which to a certain extent i believe, but losing someone you love because of a mistake would be a bit much to handle.(no this didn't happen to me but im simply making a "what if" scenerio). Far as the whole universe is concerned im not sure what to believe and what is possible and what isn't.

I mean thanks to the tv and newspapers it has brainwashed our society of how the universe is suppose to work and why. Like in the beginning when they said the earth was flat then later they found it it was round and we could actually travel around it. Thats why i can't help to think there is a chance that we could some day make time travel possible.

Which would be the same thing as see'ing your future. Think about it if we could travel through time to the past and present by a "machine" then if we made a terrible mistake in life, then we could simply go back and change it. I hate to use movies in my debate but i think the movie "butterfly effect" did a good job of showing that if we could change our past that it would alter our future. I believe that completly, but then that plays into the "everything happens for a reason" mumbo jumbo that we are raised to believe. I could probally type for hours about this but i won't :) Great topic by the way.

9. Togakure

Togakure New Member

Well I wouldnt say that anyone is 'brainwashed' about time travel, current theories are based on mathematical science and physics, the beleif that the earth was flat was based merely on belief alone.

The film 'butterfly effect' was based, like most movies, on what people would want to happen and not nesserasailly how things would be.

I find it strange you would believe somthing from a film but think theories based on real science could be 'brainwashing' people.

10. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

Anthropic principle..
    If Time travel is / will be possible.. Where are the time travellers?

11. Vega

Vega New Member

I wasn't referring to the earth being round as opposed to being flat as "brainwashing" society. What i meant to say was that society's views on how the earth started and where we came from is how we see it on tv and the newspapers. I dont' doubt there isn't scientist that have theory's based on mathmatical science, but taking that into consideration look how many different theroy's are shown on tv all the time. I mean who knows what to believe, i dont' want this to wonder off into a religion debate so i will stop it now. Far as the movie goes the reason i believe it is because i have given it alot of thought and it makes sense if you think it about it. I dont' believe everything in movies or on tv, im not easily influenced. I mean you honestly dont' think that movie has any truth far as changing your past will affect your future?

12. Togakure

Togakure New Member

No because if you could change the past you would of already done it, and the future would never of been affected in the first place.

If in theory you did have the ability to change your future by affecting the past, once the past had been changed, what person would be there in the future to actually carry out the task?

For cause you need effect, if you change somthing there needs to be somone behind that change, if you change the past and took away the need to change it, there would be nobody there and no need to create that change, and thus no change would be made at all.

Imagine you have killed sombody by accident, and you go back and warn yourself to avoid that accident, you can never actually avoid that accident, because if you did, that other 'you' would never of existed to go back and tell you to avoid it.

By the way, I am a 'religious' person in some senses, I do beleive there is a 'God' but I beleive any god or 'all powerfull being' is going to run the universe or multiverse, in a logical and understandable manner.

Most probably we cant at the moment comprehend alot of how the universe works, but I am also a very scientifical person and wont just beleive somthing can happen because 'god' lets it happen 99.9 percent of 'miracles' if not all are down to natural phenomina or things we simply cant understand at the moment.

And I think 'fate' and 'destiny' are tools for the weak minded (no offence to those who beleive in it).

If god exists, I dont think 'they'(I wont say he or her) would be so cruel as to set us on a rail(road)way that we couldnt change.

But that isnt to say we can change the laws of physics to make those changes, you cant change the past to effect the future, but you can make changes in the present to affect what is to come.

13. Vega

Vega New Member

Lets use your car accident for this theroy. Hypothetically if you had this terrible crash and almost died and was told by the doctor you could for a large sum of money use a time machine and go back in time, so you will have use of your legs again. Now you go back in time to right before the crash and you know already that your going to crash and where exactly you crash so you go home and park the car and goto sleep. Now i believe that if your body could be transported back through time then even if you didn't get in this accident you would still exist. I don't see why you wouldnt' exist, I don't know to much about the theory's of time travel, but if you have some links to prove what your saying i would love to read them. I love debates i just hope im not over my head on this one :)

14. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

But then you never have the crash, so you don't go back in time because there's no need... so you DO have the crash.. etc..
    temporal paradox / causality chain violation. :confused:

15. Vega

Vega New Member

I finally understand it took me a minute after reading this webpage here http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5363/timetravel.html and reading the lottery ticket scenerio. I mean that makes perfect sense, its exactly what we were talking about with the car accident. Well it turns out i was over my head but now i undestand, this time travel is complicated to undestand.

16. Togakure

Togakure New Member

I would say is probably the most complicated thing in science to get your head around, the paradoxes, possible parellel universes, infinite posibilities, and even with all our logic and speculation and science, we may not even have a fraction of the truth of how time actually works.

But that site is pretty good in explaining our current understanding of time travel.

There is a very prominent scientist currenly working on a machine that can communicate with photons that exist in 'all' timelines, what his exsperiment is hoping to prove is if time is fixed, or if time will split into infinite realities when somthing in the present affects it.

The machine cant receive anything before the moment it was turned on, and there is speculation if it will ever recieve a photon message from its creator or anyone in the future (its apparently going to be kept on for a minimum of 50 years)

Personally I think if it has not received anything from the moment it has been switched on (and i dont know if it has been yet) then there is no point in keeping it on at all. And that brings in a paradox itself.

If it was kept on for 50 years and nothing ever arrived was it (is it?) a failior?, if we dont recieve photon the moment it is turned on and decide to turn it off, is it (was is) a failior?

The science behind the machine is waaaay above my head and the guy behind it is very renowned and respected and the project has alot scientific community backing (very suprising when 'time travel' is involved).

Personally I hope the machine doesnt work at all.

17. Fallacio

Fallacio New Member

I'd say that a person even thinking about "the road less traveled by" would already know what direction they really want to go in -- and will ultimately end up going, whatever immediate decisions they make.

And the idea behind duality is to break down nature to its most basic components. Everything can be reduced to yin and yang, ti and yung, solar and lunar, male and female, and so on down the line for pretty much every tradition of man -- even those that went off and became religions. Why, even these wacky computers (Luddites beware!) function along similar lines.

I don't know how someone could not want to understand the universe, but I guess everyone has different passions.

18. Kosh

Kosh New Member

How would you tell the difference?

...I mean if youre told 'yeah dont worry, your on the path of the unknown from now on', you think great. But how do you know that you are actually on an unknown path?

19. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

One fine day Buddha was supposed to give sermon. when he comes, he had flower in his hand. He was supposed to talk. but he didn't. all the while speaking nothing... the masses were worried.

then suddenly one of his not so known student. mahapatra started laughing.
    hearing this Gautama Buddha called him n gave his flower. and he smiled.

nice story... what does it suggest? Wat does it communicate?
    -TkdWarrior-

20. Togakure

Togakure New Member

That Buddha had a strange sense of humor? :D