Incremental and Entity Beleifs of acheivement

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kat, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Soooo
    Entity Beliefs bring about desire to PROVE their competence which gives rise to performace goals.Self essteem is boasted by dominating others,improvement of themselves is not a neccessary requirment of any task.

Incremental Theorists seek to IMPROVE their competence through learning goals.The goals are set in measurment against their own ability.

Ofcause you may argue that both are compatible,when I dominate someone this is an improvement.
    I sort of see it as walking the path is more interesting then owning the path and charging money to those that walk by.

Do you see yourselves as performace driven or self-improvement driven?

2. Tireces

Tireces New Member

I never even picture myself fighting anyone or competing in some sport, so the latter, I suppose. One of my favorite mottos is that the only person you should strive to be better than is the man you went to sleep as last night. People who only seek to show off and beat others become complacent when it seems their task is done. And then someone else comes and suddenly knocks them off their high horse.

3. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Performance driven. My training isn't so I can be a better citizen, or to gain discipline. That's what my parents were for, and they did their job.

My martial training is directly geared towards being a better fighter than the next guy, whomever that may be on any given day.

I want to strike harder, run farther, wrestle longer until the other guy falls.

4. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Thanks for the Replys

I should point out that I don't think one is better then the other,people probally cycle through both according to other pressures.Performance can create self improvement as self improvement can manifest as performance.

But understanding your own motivations can influence direction of your goals.Understanding others motivations/perceptions will clarify the "Why" behind their actions.

Trieces
    Cool Motto

Last edited: Sep 10, 2003
  5. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

I'd say primarily performance driven, but I don't tell my friends outside of martial arts how much training I do or what I'm training in until I'm confident with my skills to handle the average joe, so in that respect I am a little image based.