Increasing BJJ training

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Prizewriter, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

My old gym offered 3 classes a week. My new gym offers multiple classes, 6 days a week (20 classes a week).

I will have a lot more free time come New Year and was thinking of upping my training to 5/6 sessions a week. My goal in 2016 is to enter a comp. I figure I should try it at least once and the way BJJ is over here now, 3 times a week won't cut it.

I am aware there might be advantages and disadvantages to this. How do you manage an increase in training? What activities could you do during rest periods? Did you get enough fitness from BJJ for competitions, or did you need to cross train to enhance fitness?

2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I train Monday - Friday BJJ (1hr sessions in tandem with MT and MMA 2x each per week).

I actually manage to fit in two weekly runs but find I'm too worn down to do much else.

I stretch a LOT on my own time before and after sessions. I am currently harbouring 2 nagging injuries (minor) which may be to do with training load. I'd just up the classes for a month and gradually add in extra work as you go.

Movement drills and stretching would be my focus rather than conditioning as I feek 6 days rolling is enough alone. t that's just me. I actually added 20lbs of muscle just from a month of weekly training and my gass tank is more efficient. Running helps my recovery rate a hell of a lot though too.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Quick addition -

If you need extra cardio, swimming is very easy on the joints and good for the core.

Do some nogi as well as gi, especially if you mangle your fingers choking people.
    And try and get some takedown training in, its a massive advantage to have in competition and SD.