Increased muscle mass = Decreased muscle Speed?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Captain Karate, Mar 15, 2006.

1. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Tricep in fact makes up 2/3 of the upper arm muscle, bicep is small. Unlles you get cramp your muscle will always complement eachother and relax accordingly.

Nice one, I got me a boot-lick

2. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Good thread.

One thing to consider when doing weight training is to make sure that you are going through the full range of motion with the lift. This will help with flexibility as well regular static stretching.

In terms of lifting for mass vs. lifting for power/speed one of the things that body builders do is continually lift in a hypertrophy cycle. That is all well and good if size is your goal, but for athletes they also have to work some power lifts. As was mentioned earlier in this thread olympic type lifts are good ones to work with, but anything where the weight is a high percentage of your 1RM causing you to do less reps in the set is a good power lift. Example bicep curl at 80% of 1RM only 5 times as opposed to a hypertrophy type lift of 65% 1RM at 8 reps.

The one thing to remember is you basically need to develop mass before you do these power type workouts. Basically you want to build a base of muscle that will help support you in the lifts so that you can handle the weight properly with good form.

3. imperial_guardz

imperial_guardz Master In Training

First off, Velocity = speed (a magnitude) + a direction

Secondly...
    Relation bewteen KE and W: The work done on an object by a net force equals the change in kinetic energy of the object.

and Thirdly...
    Definition of Power (in engineering and physics):
    1. Physics. The rate at which work is done, expressed as the amount of work per unit time and commonly measured in units such as the watt and horsepower.
    2. Electricity.

- The product of applied potential difference and current in a direct-current circuit.
      - The product of the effective values of the voltage and current with the cosine of the phase angle between current and voltage in an alternating-current circuit.

In our case, the electrical term for power can be eliminated...so what is work?

The work done by an agent exerting a constant force F and causing a displacement s equals the magnitude of the displacement, s, times the component of F along the direction of s.
    In short, the equation for work is W = s Fcos( Θ ).

So, as you can see,
    Power = rate of which work is done = rate of which force is applied causing displacement = rate of change in kinetic energy

see a relation?

4. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

Oh dear...

5. imperial_guardz

imperial_guardz Master In Training

LoL

...well I don't wanna start an arguement there...but I feel sorry for the first guy...lol

He just posted an equation and got shot down soo fast by an engineer...
    The guy is just done high school!!! hahaha

hahaha, besides, his physics wasn't "wrong"...so...
    ...give the guy a break! Don't make MA's sound dumb, because alot of them are not! hhahaa I guess I took some offence to the

But I apologize in advance if I have offended you Freeform. My apologies.

6. Transcend

Transcend Valued Member

there are two types of muscle fibers, slow twitch and fast twitch. in which before birth you are already predeteremined to have either more fast, more slow, or a balance.

obviously fast twitch muscle fibers are what you want when you want to exert the most in the fastest period of time. now in order to recruit more fast twitch muscle fibers known as type 2b muscle fibers you need to do a mixture of power lifting and plyometrics.

you can find out alot about plyometrics on google, but one exapmle would be to do bench press (power lifting) followed by a medicine ball chest pass with your partner, throwing ball as quickly as possible once it touches your chest(plyometrics).

hope this helps

7. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

Actually three types of muscle fibers. Type 1, type 2a, type 2b. 2a and 2b are slightly different physiology wise so technically there are three categories. 2a/b though could be considered the fast twitch as you mentioned. Good advice on the mixture of lifting and plyometrics

8. bjbrent

bjbrent Valued Member

Think about what you're asking here.

Would more muscle (the thing that moves your bones) slow you down?

Also, if muscle could hinder you in a fight, we wouldn't need weight classes.

9. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

I've noticed a huge decrease in flexibilty and strikes to my muscles hurt a hell of alot more than they used to. There ARE trade offs...

10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I'd say it was, even though you'd argue he was only missing a time variable. You can them start arguing about whether it's the mass of the arm, the body or a partial mass.

No apology necessary, but only because I couldn't find anything wrong with your definitions/maths ;)

It's just a pet hate of mine, people trying to over simplify body mechanics, or try to justify things using the wrong expressions.

MAP member Lil'Bunny Rabbit (a Physicist) and I tried to create an equation for a right cross once, we got annoyed and gave up after we found it would be a 4th order differential! :eek: I mean talk about pointless! It's easier to just go to a boxing gym and learn imperically ;)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  11. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

How about you search the forum and read the dozen other threads about this. You've made quite a few threads asking noob questions that have already been addressed.

12. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

We need a sticky saying that anybody who tries to bring physics into martial arts will be auto-banned. Yes, martial arts are based on physics, but they are so complex (4th order differentials are no fun...) that it's not worth it. Go train.

13. Shibby!

Shibby! Valued Member

Hell yes it hurts a hell of alot more if you get hit on the muscle now!!! :)

14. Captain Karate

Captain Karate New Member

Whoa thanks for defending my viewpoint, :D I really appreciate it. It was such a change to what I'm used to that I was a little freaked out when someone was actually agreeing with me instead of mindlessly cussing at me with their their l33t pHoRum S|<illz and calling me n00b, or TMA nutrider or something, when I haven't even listed what MAs I do...

The point of Ek = mv² was that no matter how you calculate the mass behind the punch. Speed always contributes exponentially more to the kinetic energy. Of course I finished doing physics a couple of year back and never got any l33t PySicz S|<illz. Just going by what my highschool phyics teacher taught me.

But I also appreciate the comment to quit worrying about physics and just hit stuff. I thought that was also good advice.

I understand that weights won't necessarily slow you down (no pun intended), or even increasing muscle mass. Because of guys like Bruce Lee, and Mohammad Ali etc...

It's just that I wanted to find of if there is a certain way to gain muscle mass and strength with weights while maintaining or even improving speed. And if there is a certain way of using weights and building muscle that will slow you done.

But thanks everyone for your contributions so far.