In Sun Seo

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by SUNGJADO, Jan 17, 2007.

1. kosunbi

kosunbi New Member

Thomas, would you mind LISTING the names of the GM's on the front row in this 2002 picture? I guess I failed the challenge. I was in Korea at that time, but for some reason, wasn't invited to the meeting.
    Thanks,
    Steve Kincade

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I am not really sure of all the people shown, although I do recognize GM Ji Han Jae in the center, GM In Sun Seo to one side and Mr. Suh Bok-sup to the other (as well as various Sin Moo HKD senior masters).

To me anyway, it's a nice indication of the high esteem these men are held in by the Hapkido community.

3. kosunbi

kosunbi New Member

Thanks, Thomas. I see I didn't put the smiley face next to the part about not being invited...

The people I talked to who attended that meeting were very tight-lipped about it, but hinted that it was a very rare summit of the Korean Hapkido community, with all the major organizations represented.

I agree, it certainly does give validation to the understanding of what "Hapkido" is considered to be in Korea.

4. hapk1do

hapk1do Valued Member

Re:

Purists in the sense of the word have always existed when it comes to Martial Arts. However, there will never, literally, be a "pure" Martial Art. The very concept of Martial Arts in general depicts it throughout history, and history is forever changing as humans progress through time.

Choi himself was taught in Japan in a very different environment than the one he returned to Korea to teach in. The latter was an environment where he was the teacher, no longer the student. In fact, his records of what he was actually taught, and what rank he actually held, were apparently lost... But... his skills spoke for themselves... <<stating the obvious>>

...This, in itself, demonstrates the true nature of Martial Arts... If someone is capable and defines their techniques based on effectiveness and experience, then a piece of paper and a black belt really mean nothing in the grand scheme of things... Of Course, not to say that one should not be proud of any achievements, or recognize and respect that they are outranked... It's the will to expand the art and the desire to practice it.

I've heard about Dojangs where the Master Instructor appeared to have purchased his rank certificate right out of the back of any given martial arts magazine and declared himself 20th Degree Supreme Grand Master of some kooky art... However, to someone out there the guy is mesmerizing.

...I'm going to go out on a limb here and risk life and limb by asking, what's the difference? What's the difference in what you do opposed to that guy?..

...To me, the difference is that people like In Sun Seo are backed by a legitimate world government(S. Korea)... People like In Hyuk Suh have one of the largest independent traditional Korean Martial Arts organizations in the United States... People like Ji Han Jae trained people like Bruce Lee(Among others :) )... People like He Yong Kim wrote all those awesome books about Hapkido and KSW and the like... People like Chin Il Chang kept the dream alive and were gracious enough to spread the word... and on and on and on and on and on...

I say spread the word... don't hate, innovate.

Not Knocking anyone here... These are, of course, my opinions based on facts.
    :D

5. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

Not anymore He "lost" that position, somehow?!??

6. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Please note: Grand Master In Sun Seo is the presiding Grand Master of the Korea Kuk Sool Assoc. and President of the Hanmijok Hapkido Assoc. (that has full recognition by the Korean government)

I was at the hanminjok hapkido world championships in Bussan in 2006 and there were thousands there. The association is very strong in Korea.

Best wishes,
    J.B. Murphy

7. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

It's been a while now...

Anyone know what the status of SEO's book is? Still waiting on member pics? :)

8. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Still no word. GM Seo will be back here in the states in October perhaps we will hear word then?

9. Thomas

The following is a transcript of [Steve Seo's] tranlation of GM In Sun Seo's comments at a Florida Seminar on March 28, 1999. The transcript was written by me (Thomas Morrison) based on several play throughs of the video. Any mistakes in transcription are mine and I apologize in advance.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  10. Thomas

The following is a transcript of [Steve Seo's] tranlation of GM In Sun Seo's comments at a Dallas Seminar in 2006. The transcript was written by me (Thomas Morrison) based on several play throughs of the video. Any mistakes in transcription are mine and I apologize in advance.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2007
  11. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Thomas, that's excellent. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to transcribe and post all of that.

I'm still eagerly awaiting his book. :)

12. Thomas

-Continuation of Previous thread - what follows are comments from the Midday Remarks - 2006

13. SUNGJADO

SUNGJADO New Member

Thanks Thomas

Thanks for that Thomas. I was there in Dallas, 2006 and celebrated his 65th birthday with him.

14. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

Thanks Thomas!

15. nj_howard

nj_howard Valued Member

Two or three matches a day, every day, for ten years, and he never lost, not even once?

Surely I'm not the only one who finds this completely incredible.

btw, as for the reference to Choi Yong Sul's death date, it was not 1989. It was 1986.

16. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

I was the host of the Dallas seminar where this speech was given. It is a well known fact of GM Seo's fighting record.
    If you wish to doubt him that is your option. You have the right to be wrong.

As far as the date of GM Choi's death.........I have the audio and video footage of the speech, 1986 was the year that was quoted, however I do think that Thomas has done a very good job posting the info!

My Grand Master will be in Orlando at an open seminar next week end. I invite you to come and see for yourself!

17. Thomas

Uggggh ... my apologies. That was a mistake on my part. I can't edit the document here at MAP (time restriction) but thanks for the correction (feel free to post others too - thanks!)

18. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

as is this one..........aren't they all!!!

19. nj_howard

nj_howard Valued Member

:)

A "well known fact", is it?

OK, then... I suppose you can produce documentation to prove it. Something besides what somebody said at a seminar. You know, something like records kept by an independent party.

As for my right to be wrong... well, obviously, you too enjoy (and avail yourself of) that same right.

Whoever said that about the thousands of fights over a period of several years without one single defeat - yes indeed, I doubt that totally. No disrespect intended, but come on... how could anybody believe such a claim about any martial artist? If I heard such a claim about the headmaster of our kwan, I wouldn't believe it for an instant.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  20. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Look..... Even those that do not like Grand Master Seo all say the same thing about him, when he was a younger man. I have had talks with senior Kuk Sool masters that were around back then and some of them are not even with World Kido and they give the same accounts.

At 65 yrs of age his martial skill is still matched only by a few if any! Imagine what he was like at 35!!!!!

You also stated that if your Grand Master Made the same claim you would doubt it. I think I know who your Grand Master is and I have no reason to doubt any of his claims. I have to much respect for those that have walked down the path before us.

I am with Grand Master Seo because I have found him to be a great martial artist, a great teacher, and a great person he is a role model for all of mu students as well as myself. My wish is that one day I can be half as good as he is now at the age of 65.

I think one would have to train with any of the Seo/Suh family members to truly understand what great martial skill they really have.