Improving speed and power?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Nightwolf, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Nightwolf

Nightwolf New Member

Hi there, I'm 18 and I'm new to martial arts, I've started learning Qwan Ki Do a few months ago. So I have some questions to ask. I want to improve the speed and power of my strikes, punches and kicks.
    I've "trained" my fist so now I can hit a hard surface with some power with out hurting me too much. But I want my punches to be even harder. At the classes when I hit someone and he blocks my strike he isn't affected too much. So I want to develop some strikes that can destroy somebody's guard and throw him on the ground.
    But I don't know exactly how to train, what kind of exercises to do and for what group of muscles. So if you know some techniques that can help me please share them with me. And maybe you can also give me some hints on how to improvise some gear so I can work at home.

I thank you from now to those who will help me;

2. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

By sounds of it your speed and power is ok, Perhaps its your mind you have to train. Quicker reactions.
    Dont ever think "This technique will work for sure"
    Dont let him complete any techniques on you(Locks which take a couple seconds to complete, kick his leg or something to distract him)
    Thats all i can think of atm. It might not be what u want but this sort of thing might help anyway. Goodluck. Things like excerises are what i was thinking a minute ago of looking for (Especially for my legs)

3. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Interestingly, I'm currently writing an article about this very subject :)

My suggestion is slow motion training. Training slowly helps build the proper body mechanics and economy/efficiency of movement into your body. Then, when you start adding speed, you'll still be doing the proper motions. In the long run, you'll end up hitting more powerfully through good body mechanics and you'll be "faster" through economic/efficient motions.

If you train fast and hard right out of the box then, most likely, you'll end up fast and hard, but sloppy. And, in the long run, you won't end up as fast or hard as you can get through slow motion development.

I'm sure there are other approaches, but that's the one that has worked for me.

Mike

4. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

sounds interesting pesilat, be sure to post ur articule on MAP forum!

5. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

Yup. Will do. I'm writing it primarily for a friend of mine who wants to put it a Kenpo newsletter he's putting together. But I already told him that I'll be putting it here in MAP, too, and he has no problem with that.

Mike

6. cioGium

cioGium New Member

ce mica e lumea!

Salut! Ma bucur sa vad un roman pe aici mai ales unul care practica Qwan ki do- me too!!
    De unde esti ?
    Referitor la puterea loviturilor tale cred ca ar trebui sa incerci sa cresti forta corpului per total nu numai a bratelor, un program cit de scurt pe la sala ar fi indicat.
    Now don't be gealous at us romanians men taking over martilal arts planet forum!! we are more numerous each day!!

p.s. 2 so far!!:D

noi doi mai vorbim prin p.m.;)

7. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

o_O and we have admins and mods that could kick your ****. rofl

please speak english eh?

8. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Iawn te, ai siarad yn cymraeg ac mi wela di pwy si'n siarad yr iaith llai hwylus i ddeall! ha ha ha!

9. Cain

Cain New Member

err.....could we revert to english now?

|Cain|