improper chi flow

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by gt3, Aug 5, 2005.

1. gt3

gt3 Member

i've heard that when new-agers or anyone practices taichi incorrectly that they can create improper chi flow. My question is how do you know if your chi flow is wrong? And wouldn't living a normal stressful life damage your chi flow just the same?

2. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

Tai Chi Chuan is simple-Qi moves naturally. (master Xu Shu Song) If you are told anything else some one is trying to make Qi complicated its not(me)

3. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

You're not going to create "improper qi flow." Your qi flows where it is supposed to automatically. The problem people who don't practice Taiji correctly have is with insufficient qi flow. Just open up the qi arteries with qi gong and meditation and practice Taiji with relaxation and good body mechanics and the qi will flow where it is supposed to automatically.

4. gt3

gt3 Member

Yeah that's basically what i always figured. It's just that telling someone they might get insufficient or improper chiflow from doing it wrong will greatly turn away the guys who learn from video tapes and books or who aren't sure their teachers know. And perhaps even people with good instructors would be worried that they're still not practicing it right. The fear of messed up chi flow sounds scary :D

5. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Absolutely true. There's nothing I hate more than this elitist attitude that it's dangerous to try to do Taiji or qigong by yourself. Sure, it's better to have an experienced teacher if you can, but unless you totally ignore warning signs your body sends you (feeling dizzy or nauseated everytime you practice, etc.), you're not going to damage yourself by trying out some qigong on your own either. I actually think qigong is one of the best things to learn on your own to some extent because it's all about the sensations going on in your own body. Whether it's a teacher or a book the best thing anyone outside of you can do is give you guidance. Your own body is ultimately the only real teacher of qigong. The advantage of a teacher, of course, is that he can observe you and ask questions about how the exercises make you feel, etc. and thereby give his insight on how to improve your practice, but, even more than most subjects, qigong is something you have to learn for yourself.

6. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Whilst I generally agree with the above discussion (apart from the unecessary reference to 'new-agers' which is just an irritating stereotype imo), I do have to say I have experienced problems with qi flow in myself at an early stage and also seen it in students and fellow practitioners. It is rare, but certain practices done wrong will cause problems. I had a student who practiced a spinal energy raising technique whilst unwell (he didn't tell me and shouldn't have been in class really) have a fit and collapse. I have experienced headaches, shaking, nausea and stomach problems in the past when doing Taijiquan or qigong. (Eventually you work out how to do it right.... lol)
    I also know headache can occur if fajin is done too much or without the correct opening and closing of the meridians. In most people the channels respond naturally so all that is required is correct relaxation and intent but if there are underlying issues there can be big problems.
    I am all for exploring on your own, and do so myself all the time, but don't rush to dismiss the warnings that teachers issue about this. I did until I saw some examples! :rolleyes:
    :Angel:

7. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Just wanted to add. I got a bit overzealous at one point in my training and replaced all cultivation for fa-jing training for about a month, 1-2 hours a day, as a result ended up with severe tension headaches for about 3 months, it was crap. Some people at the school I used to study at had similar experiences as well.

8. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

It's too easy to lose sight of the bigger picture.

For a while I was so intent on building my root that I was trying to drive myself into the ground. Unfortunately this lead to loss of posture. Once I balanced it out with raising the head top it was sooooo much better!

No my trouble is trying to raise my posture and maintain the root. Too low for too long leads to knee problems later, so I'm raising up an inch or three.

We had a guy who had schizophrenia, and he went on a course and spent hours doing taiji and bagua in the baking sun. Ended up going a bit doo-lally and pushing someone down some stairs! Moderation in all things.

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

everything in moderation, including moderation itself :)

10. slomojo

slomojo New Member

I studied in a school for 3 months, and have been practicing for about 6-7 months on my own. I had an awful experience on saturday. I have lately been able to do some interesting stuff with chi, and I was getting excited about my practices. On saturday i did the form, and then I went out and had a beer. Slowly a pressure started building inside me and it grew until it was almost unbearable. It wasn't a physical pressure. It was more like how Robert Jordan describes the one power in his books. Like there was a raging river of power flowing through me and if I didn't hold on really tight I was gonna lose it and do something really bad like drive my car into a pole or punch an old lady or something. It lasted all day until I got home to do some chi kung and push hands. It was one of the worst experiences i have ever had. It had a good side though. I know that eventually I can train myself to handle the river, and once I do that... damn!

11. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

what sort of interesting stuff?

regards

you sure it wasn't a dodgy barrel ?

:Angel:

12. slomojo

slomojo New Member

Definitely not the beer. Other people had the same beer with me, and had no problem.

Mostly breathing tricks. Like i found a chi battery. Or I can actually see the three dan tien. Not so much the upper, but definitely the middle and lower. Its still very difficult to open the flow between the dan tien and my spine so that it is expressed at the end of a move, but I think that has to do with an injury I sustained working out a long time ago. Once I think I saw the meridians, but that could have just been me imagining it..

13. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

yea you certainly get sensations..it's good to take it easy sometimes if you get a funny turn. glad you're enjoying taiji is it? 'oo are ya"? :D