Imperial Yang Style Taijiquan

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by oldyangtaiji, May 2, 2005.

1. oldyangtaiji

oldyangtaiji Old Yang Taijiquan

Are the VCDs on Imperial (Funei) Yang Style Taijiquan a worth buy (for the Yang style practicioners)? There are aviable videos form Xiao Tie-Seng and Li Zheng. Is the "Funei" Yang Style similar (postures, principles,..) to the Yang Family Taijiquan or is completly different?

Is said that Yang Luchan at the begining taught in the Imperial court the original art of Taijiquan which included ten sets. Yang Ban Hou was upset that his father taught the complete art openly and decided to spread a trimmed version that had only one "Large Frame" set.

Is the "Imperial Yang" an original Yang or is a mixture of Yang (and Hao) Style Taijiquan, (Cheng and Yin) Bagua and Xingyi?

2. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Nah - that's the wrong way round, I think. The Yangs were forced to teach the imperial court so they watered it down from the start. Cheng Fu later created the modern 'large frame' which is very different from the 'pure' stuff I've seen... The 'Imperial' style I've seen is basically Cheng Fu with a bit more internal emphasis than many modern schools, but still a million miles from being that special. Their advertising is good, which makes it sound special - but I wouldn't waste my cash personally
    Peace
    N :Angel:

3. oldyangtaiji

oldyangtaiji Old Yang Taijiquan

There are two version:
    1) YLC watered down his TJQ because he was forced to teach the imperial court
    2) YLC watered down to adapt TJQ for the public teaching purposes
    I don't think that YLC (or YCF) watered down TJQ but that the Yang Style evolved.

4. Guo_Xing_Yi

Guo_Xing_Yi Valued Member

Why would they evolve taiji to become the pants crap that we know today? Thats not evolution!

5. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

If you are lucky enough to find the right teacher, who understands the many facets of Taiji quan, it is a journey full of delight and surprises....which I would write about...but then I would have to kill you :eek: lol

A lot of taichi chuan out there is a load of (searches for an apt word that won't result in being put on the naughty step for days!) testicles though.

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  6. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Don't blame YLC, blame the hippies!

7. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

Uh oh... now youve gone and done it Guo Xing Yi... YLC apparantly watered it down as he was staunch nationalist and at the time the ruling elite (and hence the guards) were manchu... but yep the gosh darn hippies/new age/pc brigade are somewhat to blame...

8. Taiji Butterfly

(First in Tao there is 'no blame' but...) :rolleyes:
    Actually, no. The closed-mindedness and xenophobia of the traditional Chinese family/clan structure is 'to blame'. When Tai Chi first came west people simply were not taught it as a martial art, largely because they were 'gwai lo' foreigners - it later got mixed with EMA elements in an attempt to 'prove' how great a martial art it was. Westerners were left with a dillemma of - try to prove it as MA (ego imo) or let go of that side and just go 'cosmic' (equally stupid imo lol)
    YLC and co. took the fangs out of it so that others couldn't use it against them. (particularly the Chings/Manchu's whatever..)
    YCF developed his version so that you would have to learn it slower before you could be a half-decent martial artist and so joe public could grasp its subtleties without having to live their whole life training in it and focussing on fighting. He is a mixed blessing to Tai Chi, but I guarantee you this: there would be no Tai Chi practised in the West nowadays without his contribution.

"The sage does not discriminate" This means forget what others think - train correctly and you will succeed.
    This thread is once again splitting into the 'kick butt brigade' versus the 'dolphin fridge magnet worshippers'. Has anyone else noticed this pattern at MAP before?? lol
    Tell you what... why don't we all stop looking for someone to blame for our own ego issues and dedicate the same energy to training and just let others do theirs?
    No? :rolleyes: Oh okay, just a thought.....
    :cool: N :Angel:

9. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

:D Guo, you crack me up mate :D

Last edited: May 4, 2005
  10. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Seeing as we are on this topic (yang styles)
    I would be interested to know if any one has any experience of, comments on the michuan style or hidden tradition (looks in TB's direction)
    Yangjia Michuan Taijiquan
    http://aymta.org/

All comments welcome

cheers

11. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hahaha.... LOL
    -TkdWarrior-

12. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

I must protest at the blaming the hippies i have long hair and listen to pink floyd amongst bands i also dont mind kicking ass. Not all hippies are to blame please and some of us would never touch leek soup and dont mind causing a bit of pain here and there. That said im now going back to some Led Zep.

13. reikislapper

reikislapper see you on the flypaper

And what's wrong with LEEK SOUP lol.
    lisa xx :D

14. Taiji Butterfly

Sorry to disappoint you but I have no particular understanding of that 'branch' - I have had experience of the Tian (Zhaolin) branch which is pretty mindboggling imo
    The 'Yang' Taiji I was originally taught was purported to be an 'older' form - whether it is or not I may never find out, but it certainly varies from the standard Yang Cheng Fu form. It has some unique moves I havn't found elsewhere as well as following the YCF basic pattern :confused: (I've since taken it my own route anyway - hence I call it 'Butterfly Yang') :D
    Peace
    N :Angel:

Moon - Floyd rule!! :Angel: (But Hawkwind are the Masters of the Universe :Alien: )

15. moononthewater

Hawkwind are the bizz seen various versions of the band over the years. Though i find i spend the next few days in a weird daze. Even got into some micheal moorcock books aswell.

16. moononthewater

As we are talking about other styles of Tai Chi i was introduced to the Chen form last week. It was very intersting and some thing i might have to find more info on. Much more martial,

17. Shadowdh

I love Chen... it fits me so well... where abouts did you practice it..??

(And theres nothing wrong with Floyd...or Zep...) ;)

18. moononthewater

Unfortunately i do not know too much about it i normally concentrate on CMC. But through my teacher Nigel Sutton we had one of his teachers Master Foo over fro Singapore and he introduced us to the form with about the first 17 moves and i really liked it. So i am on the look out for a Chen teacher to maybe teach me some more about the form.

19. Shadowdh

Where abouts would you be able to get to...?? (pm me if you like)... there are a couple of classes I know of that may be able to help... (as an aside I actually started learning CMC before switching to Chen...)..