Illegal immigration - Does it unduly affect US crime rates?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anjelica, Feb 21, 2018.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Yes, but these matters do often come up before our Supreme Court for a re-evaluation and decision. And even the Feds are sending mixed messages. Sessions is saying things that set up the Feds stepping in and enforcing Federal law in States legalizing it, but there is some question if he will actually do so. And our President has said in the past that he respects the States right to decide this. Not that he doesn't contradict himself all the time.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

So Federal>States

So it is illegal and nobody should be selling weed.

3. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

US has a long history of tension between states and the federal government. Mostly it amounts to each side doing what they want and claiming the higher ground.

4. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

That does sound complicated! I've seen highlights on laws for certain states and I can see how the applied law can become complicated in certain areas.

aaradia likes this.
  5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I think it becomes increasingly complicated as you push this logic. Three extremely environmentally unfriendly activities are the use of air conditioning, hot showers, and air travel. These are socially acceptable, yet are visiting unquestionable harm against the environment, thus, harm against mankind.

I mean, I think your logic is compelling, but end of the day it's something that everyone's doing, so I'm not sure how persuasive an argument it would be in actually deterring someone from following their desires.

axelb likes this.
  6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

yes, and to add to that a large portion cattle farming is a massive environmental impact, and should be taken into account by the consumer and sellers. But as you said this can digress the argument reducing the persuasion on many people.
    However in a legal business, the process is often audited and scrutinized so that they can be re-assessed - of course it doesn't always work that way and there ends up being grey areas of "legal" in legal business.

Comparing that to organized crime - who overlooks what goes on to make sure there is a reduction in the harm caused - if you are funding organized crime, the definition of what is involved is all ranges of unlawful, and the people involved are all happy to make money out of an unlawful business.
    If you buy/sell a beef burger, that could be contributing to the environmental impact of cattle farming, but if you buy from a reputable establishment then you know that you are at least reducing the impact by contributing to an environmentally better process.

If you buy/sell an illegal substance - who knows whether their supplier is involved with human trafficking, ivory trade, or illegal arms trade? They are making easy money, with no retribution for their business model unless they are arrested - but the process of taking down organized crime is a long and costly process.

Make a change to the law first, or find a way to get what is necessary legally at least you know the business model of a legal organization will be less likely involved in other illegal activities.

7. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

I would like to remind you I don't seal anymore. I may not be perfect but neither is anyone else here. At least im willing to admit my mistakes.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Except when it comes to making inaccurate and grossly slanted generalizations without statistics, facts or context it seems....

Latikos, Morik, axelb and 2 others like this.
  9. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

I just want to make it clear. I have no problem with the dreamers, those who are undocumented but brought here as children becoming citizens if they have no ties to gangs or organized crime, are employed, not on welfare, have no history of violence.

David Harrison likes this.
  10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod note: moved post above to this thread. No need to start a new thread when this one exists.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Quite honestly I think every immigrant, and their descendents, that didn't populate North America via the bering strait should go back to where they belong.

12. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Perdue?

13. David Harrison

Yes, the cannabis trade in the UK is linked to all kinds of nasty practices.

The thing is, there is an easy fix: you make it legal to grow. That would instantly remove the incentive for gangs operating grow houses. That market works at the moment because the gangs are taking the risk from the users. If anyone could grow cannabis in their house or garden, that market service would become redundant.

Anjelica and axelb like this.
  14. David Harrison

Also the competition between cotton and hemp producers and the industrialisation of agriculture played a part too.

aaradia likes this.
  15. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

I think I already made clear my stance on the legalization of weed. No need to say anymore.

16. Hannibal

Yes and no

For small usage sure, but remember that alcohol and tobacco are legal too and yet botlegging is a MASSIVE industry

Given different strains and types there will be a demand for beyond homegrown too (same way as homebrew beer vs brewery)

I am all for legalisation but it won't instantly solve the criminal aspect, it will.simply modify it

17. David Harrison

Yes, of course entrepreneurs will always fill the gaps, but if you want to stop Vietnamese child slaves working in grow houses then it seems obvious to me that a change in legislation regarding the growing of cannabis is needed.

I'm sure you could make a bit of a dent in the unemployment figures too, if it were legal to set up a cottage industry growing business ;)

Hannibal likes this.
  18. Hannibal

Canada has the best - no, really we actually do

19. Anjelica

Anjelica Banned Banned

Would people still buy street trash like crack or ice if they could legally buy high grade pot for much less? I think legalization would make a big dent in that market.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Are there any people that want to use drugs but don't because they are illegal? I don't think there are.
    Their legality would make no odds to me. Don't do 'em now and wouldn't do them if they were in sale at Tesco.