ileostomy

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Southpaw535, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

After I started MA about half a year ago my mother has expressed an interest but has had an ileostomy operation. Is it still possible for her to find an art?

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Explain what an ileostomy is and we'll be better able to advise you/her.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Just googled it and I'd say Tai chi might be suitable.
    Sadly other arts may not be.

4. Southpaw535

haha I forgot that bit. I can't explain the whole thing properly but it's basically when the large bowel is removed and is replaced by an external bag. There's a much better explanation on wikipedia. I know it rules out grappling and most sparring.

5. jlb

jlb New Member

I would like to say that I have Crohns disease. I have an ileostomy due to this. Now, since having this surgery, I have been able to enroll in TaeKwonDo with my children. I have attained my First Degree Black Belt DUE TO HAVING IT. Without it, I would never have been able to do this. I would not have been able to stay out of the bathroom long enough to do a one hour class.
    Sure, I have had to let my instructors know about my surgery. I have had to make some adjustments to the workouts and make some adjustments to the way I do the sparring and such. But, I do all the things that are required of me to attain this and maintain the belt and the training.
    I believe that if one wants to do this, and their doctor says it is ok for them to do so, it is worth giving it a try. One can only listen to their bodies and their hearts. An ileostomy is not the end of life, but often the beginning. For many who have been living with disease, it is a new start. It does not have to mean that one has to stop being active or stop doing things that require physical endurance. It is a detour. It is not a life sentence to being a couch potatoe.

I say, if your mom or anyone else wants to give it a try, ask the doctor and if they are given the go ahead, then go for it.

jlb

6. Southpaw535

First up I've seen what having the op can be like, my mum regretted it for a few month so I've got a lot of respect for you for not letting it stop you doing what you enjoy. I'll talk to her and show her this thread and see what she says. thanks