Ifma

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Yatezy, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

This was a total suprise to me, a fully established Amatuer side to Muay Thai. Ok maybe im a little slow :p

Ive always assume that there was never a fully regulated amateur competition in MT (in UK, cant speak for anywhere else) except for interclubs and the such. Which i only view as agressive sparring anyway. Then it was on too unpadded fights. If there is a international amateur side to MT, then why is there not one at national level? If im mistaken and there is please correct me.

I really think that a proper organised amateur fighting side to MT is a good thing, it would get more people into the fighting side of MT, with the added padding then it would be viewed as less brutual thus bringing more people into the game. It could open doors to get MT recognised as an Olympic sport. I also think that if people want to go into the paid ranks then it would better prepare them. Ive seen some horrendous fighting ability at low level Thai which you just wouldnt get at low level proffessional boxing.

What is the state of the amateur game in other countries? Do you agree that a proper amateur side to MT would help it progress?

Any other ideas feel free to add :)

Heres the website for IFMA: http://www.ifmamuaythai.org/index.php

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I think it would raise the profile of the sport which can only be a good thing. There would be a lot of unhappy title holders if all the seperate organisations merged, that would be a start. One Britsh Title per weight instead of the dozens we have have now. No more giving away area belts to people that can only just fight.

3. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

There are(or were) 2 main amateur Muay Thai associations both based on Thailand and both at logerheads(as usual in our sport!) they have existed for many years now,the one i was with started in 1995,they have both ran yearly world championships with up to 65 countries taking part,im not sure of the state of affairs with them now as i got fed up of the lack of progression and the bickering a long time ago.:)

4. Singto Laaw

Singto Laaw Strictly Muay Thai

Hey Yatezy,

we will be holding IFMA English Eliminations on the 26th July.

It has taken 2 years to bring this event together, and we are proud to offer the general public the opportunity to watch 20-25 fights.

Please see here for more information http://www.singto.co.uk/Events/Events.htm.

If you are interested in attending or fighting let me know asap, final matching finishes 1st July.

5. tideliar

tideliar Valued Member

Hey, good luck with that dude. I looked at your website and it looks like you guys have it together :)

I'll be in the UK in September (north of London), so if I'm in on time I'll try and come watch the fights on the 6th

:)

Yatzey, you gonna fight? go on.... go ooooon.... :woo:

:D

6. Singto Laaw

Cool the one on the 6th September is an Interclub (a Smoker), if you do come drop me an email and I will put your name on the guest list.

7. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

I wish i could man, id love the oppertunity but dont think im ready for that just yet.

Need to get more sparring under my belt, ive finished boxing now so i can concentrate fully on MT so hopefully one day i could give something like IFMA a shot.

Cheers for the invite though :)

8. Singto Laaw

Well if you do decide to drop into the area, make sure you email me and I will put your name on the guest list.

So far we have 16 gyms with 46 fighters, 23 confirmed matches.

Should be awesome, there are a few ranked fighters having a go as well.

9. tideliar

tideliar Valued Member

I'll let you know ASAP. My brother gets married on the 20th, so two weeks off work lets me do his thingy and yours :)