If you could wear any colour of gi what would yours be?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by aikiwolfie, May 15, 2004.

1. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

sean and his "gi of many colours" :D

I'd rather like to wear a navy blue gi with a black belt (even if I progress beyond that colour to red like they do in my JJ style).

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

red to hide the bloodstains garnered from my ninja conquest!

3. Daydreamer

Daydreamer New Member

lol, I could swear I seved the guy in the pink gi in work today (he wasn't wearing it though!) :D
    I think I would have to be boring and go for black, my white gi gets dirty to easily and as I am about to become a student the prospects of regualy washing it are about to dissapear :eek:

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Theres a girl at a school nearby who's, I guess, about 14, who competes in a PINK dobok.

5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Pink is fasionable with the girls right now. :bang:

6. potlucky10

potlucky10 Valued Member

But come on who didn't want to be Ken or Ryu from Street Fighter?

7. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

I wear black, I think it looks nice and it's the preferred color in my schools as it doesn't show dirt. I do think tie-dye would look really awesome... (and my coach actually mentioned last Saturday that he's thinking of doing that!!)

8. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

I wear a white JAA gi with the sleeves line with black cloth so that if the sleeve are rolled up this shows.

I read that people use black gi so that it doen't show the dirt, a dojo should not be dirty and the gi should be washed after every practise. This is something I insist on in my dojo.

I can remember around 30 years ago practising a crystle palace club, one of the student used to do both Judo and Aikido several time a week with only one gi by the end of the week he stunk to hi heaven.

One night we had a groundwork session he held me down with kesagatame I have never tapped out so quick in my life. So smelly Billy if you are still doing martial arts I hope you have bought a new gi.

9. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Even in the cleanest situations, rolling on the ground is going to show on a white gi. It doesn't have to be "dirty" - but it will "yellow" if you get what I mean. Of course, black gis eventually fade, so any gi is going to show use...

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Black gi get dirty and it shows. Personally I think it shows up worse on a black gi than a white gi. Maybe I just have weird eyes. Black gi do look cool though.

11. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

Sorry guys, I must be training in cleaner places than the rest of you. I finished training today, the white gi damp from sweat from a good hard practise. just put it into the washing machine ready for the next practise. I rotate three gi's and I would never dream of wearing one twice without washing.

12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

You mean you don't like that "moist gi" sensation? :p :evil: