If you could only buy one Kenpo DVD set which would it be?

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by MaxG, Aug 28, 2005.

1. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

I'm very interested in trying out the Kenpo style but unfortunately there are no Kenpo teachers in my area. Well there is one but he is not affiliated with any organization and it seems to be just a mix of different martial arts he's taken and called it Kenpo-Jiujitsu.

So I was thinking about getting some DVD's. I know that I'll never get the type of training that I can from these at a regular school but I mainly want to get exposure to the art.

I have trained in different arts/sports for about 10 years so I'm not a beginner trying to learn from scratch. I believe that some of my previous training will help a great deal in interpreting the system. Hopefully if a Kenpo instructor does become available in my area I'll have a little better understanding if I decide to join him.

Anyone heard any things about the set from Grandmaster Adrian "Chief" Roman? or Master Tabatabai? Nick Cerio's looks pretty cheap but I don't think that set has all the forms and such.

Thanks for the help.

2. gentlegiant6685

gentlegiant6685 New Member

Try looking up IKCA on google. It should get you to the web site which is a good one and was the first to do video/long distance learning. I studied many styles on and off (22years for what it's worth) including kenpo, and ordered there kenpo tapes. It's a much leaner/cut back system than the kenpo I learned, which I like. I really liked their philoshophy of not having too many techniques fighting you and being able to create techniques on the fly. Learning by tape is not easy, even with experience, but it is do-able. I liked the system enough that I enrolled in a IKCA school nearby, and really enjoy it. The tapes will give you the whole system, or you can get them one belt at a time. You must find a partner to train with though, or you will never get the full benefit of the art. Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2005
  3. Lame Leopard

Lame Leopard Valued Member

I borrowed some Adrian Roman tapes from a friend, and he is an excellent instructor. He teaches the Ed Parker American Kenpo system if that is what you are interested in.

Shintai Ryu has some very good distance learning kenpo programs that you might want to look into and they are very reasonably priced. A google web search will direct you to their site.

4. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

If your looking at American Kenpo...aka Parker Kenpo, then take a look at Larry Tatum's series. He is one of the most recommended among American Kenpoist. Go to www.ltatum.com and view his techniques of the week or month. That way you have something to compare. Perhaps you can look at Kajukenbo as well. The WKO(World Kajukenbo Organization) has recently put out their DVD set of the Original Method of Kajukenbo. I think www.kajukenboinfo.com is where you can see some clips as well. There is a large variety of Kenpo out there that if you do a search, many of the sites will probably have clips of some of the videos you may be interested in, and by the way I was going to suggest thr IKCA too ;) Good Luck!

5. ANCIENTMASTER

ANCIENTMASTER New Member

David German, he teaches you to combine jujitsu and kempo...but stay away from harfouche he's a douche.

6. lonekimono10

lonekimono10 New Member

kenpo dvd

there are alot of great kenpo people who have tapes, dvd's out there, but you have to know what you want when it comes to kenpo, check around and see what it is that you like about that person and what kind of kenpo it is that person is teaching.

7. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Where are you? Sometimes schools are there but hard to find...

-D

8. lonekimono10

lonekimono10 New Member

who are you talking to, me?? or someone else??

9. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

No, see in my post it says "Originally posted by MaxG".

I was replying to Max G.

10. lonekimono10

lonekimono10 New Member

sorry

sorry about that :confused:

11. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

Pacific Shore- Those videos make me want to start Kajukenbo! Good stuff!

May you achieve
    Satori