Ideas re: staying safe in the States

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by KarateMum, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Yes, I should have been more specific about what kind of British accent I meant. With most regional accents they just assume that you are Australian! :rolleyes:

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

This has been my experience too. Getting off the subway in Chicago, my wife and I were looking a bit lost for all of 30 seconds before two people came up to ask us if they could give us directions.

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Something similar happened to me in New York city, but they tried to charge me 10 dollars! ;)

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Yes, the media has a big hand in it. Keep in mind that there are a lot of "other" pieces to that whole topic, including the actions that prompted the shootings as well as a much lesser amount of media coverage pertaining to attacks on cops (insert various colors/groups in all the configurations.)

A lot of that goes into what I posted for the OP. In brief...
    -Research before you go and avoid troublesome areas.
    -Have a decent handle on what the laws are and follow them.
    -Comply with directions and instructions given to you by police if you do run afoul of them.

By doing all of that, your chances of getting into any sort of trouble is going to be much lesser. If you get into a situation where you are being threatened (robbery, etc), follow your normal SD format... awareness, avoidance, compliance if possible...

No clue - depends on the situation.
    Why is this so-called 'redneck cop' pointing a gun at you?

Instead of 'speaking loudly in a British accent', you may instead comply with the officer's request while keeping your hands visible and not doing anything threatening. If you are arrested, comply with the arrest and provide the basic information they request (name+ID), then ask for an attorney and keep your mouth shut until one comes.

5. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

And, out of curiosity, are you planning to visit any martial art schools while you're over this side? You might get the chance to meet some of the MAP members in the Americas if you try (or we might pull off an American MAP meet one of these years).

But, as an American, I wouldn't worry too much about all the hype you hear about crime. If the neighborhood looks shady, it probably is and you probably want to get out of there.

6. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

armanox - I like meeting new people and have from other internet forums met up with folks engaged in other sports over the years - of course, in safe organised group situations - you know what folks say about meeting up with people from the internet!. However, time may be against me on the holiday (a bit over two weeks with a fair bit of moving around) and I must admit I wasn't planning attendance at a karate class - as you probably know by now I am very new into it anyway. I guess I might well miss the regular exercise and class though as it will probably be my longest miss since starting last September and I am getting rather into it :-D