Ideas of what I can do to keep advancing in TKD......

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Labatt, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Labatt

Labatt New Member

I still love this martial art, but I will not go to any school from now on. Rather, train by myself. I know all the basics, and alot of advanced things. I want to keep advancing while im not going to a school. Any ideas, on how I can keep getting better just training by myself? Currently, I weight train once a week, and am making great gains. So I am getting stronger, and bigger while not doing TKD. I want to start, need ideas guys. This is the best place to ask without a doubt.

Labatt

2. Ara

Ara New Member

First you gotta make sure you heart/lungs are up to it.. get a good routine cardio-vascular routine going every week to make sure you dont run out of steam when you work out. As for training TKD without going to a school, im stumped... the best place to learn is in the dojang with a good instructor :)

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Practice everything you know is the only way to get better without learning anything new.

PL

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I say get back to TKD school ... you can only do so much to learn and advance on your own.

Weight training once a week is not enough conditioning or training for the martial arts... that is if you are serious.

5. Labatt

Labatt New Member

Kick Chick. Im a full believer in Mike Mentzer's High Intensity Training, and it's principals. Most people have no clue as to how to train and how much volume is really needed. In fact, I only do 1 set per exercise, and to failure. My workouts last from 10-30 minutes. Spending countless hours in the gym is a waiste of time and incredibly detrimental to ones health, and those who do well with these routines are taking dangerous amounts of steroids and hormones, which I can't even spell. I suggest you throw out all your misconceptions about weight training that you have recieved through the media, and open your eyes to the truth.

Guys, attending a school is out of the option. That is why I started this thread. Practice everything I know? Patterns and what not, ok. But, what about target practice? And sparring combat? I think the most important thing for me is target practice....as it has been the most fruitful and beneficial(a sort of X factor) for me in the past.

6. totality

totality New Member

if you believe in HIT, it seems you don't have a clue either. :D

and for at least this post, ignore my sig, and ignore the above load of bs.

7. Labatt

Labatt New Member

I suggest you do some research. Here's a good link www.mikementzer.com. HIT is a science, and it as sound as the air you breath. This topic is not for the discussion of weight training, it is to help me to advance further in my martial art.

8. Koryo

Koryo Valued Member

If possible I'd find someone else you can train with. You'll do much better IMO if you have a partner you can do exercises with and spar with.

9. Ara

Ara New Member

Yes that a good point, try to find someone who is around about the same fitness level as you and work together, its good for motivation. Like i said, get a good cardio vascular routine going, perhaps get yourself some focus pads for punching practice and speed, get a punch bag if u want to develop some more power. Use a kick shield to practice your kicks, and as for sparring, get a partner, *BUY SOME SAFETY GEAR!!* and then do some 1.30minute rounds in your back garden ;)

10. Taeho

Taeho New Member

You could contact Mr. Miyagi,....lol

"wax on,...wax off"...heheh

Labatt, I have been following you story since day one and I fel your pain. I have myself and my two sons currently taking TKD and sometimes it gets difficult to justify the amount of money it takes to keep us enrolled and advancing.

Good luck.

TKDshane

11. totality

totality New Member

cute. and you're the one who brought it up, labatt. but to stay on topic, aren't there any other dojos you can attend?

12. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

I agree that you should try to find a training partner. That way you can motivate each other. It can be hard sometimes to motivate yourself when you try to workout alone, and it's really easy to skip workouts. But, if you have an appointment to workout with someone else then you are more likely to keep it. Is there anyone from your old school that you could workout with occasionally? If there is no one, I'd say make a workout schedule and keep it. Start slow don't overdo it. If you really want to workout 5 days a week, maybe start at 3 and see if you can keep that schedule.

I don't know anything about your situation, or your experience level. If it is about money, then maybe training by yourself is a good thing right now. If it is because your school was not treating you well, maybe a different school is what you need. Look for a good instructor not a good martial art. A great instructor makes the martial art great, not the other way around.

13. Disciple

Disciple New Member

Since I we aren't talking about your misconception on weightlifting...

Training to advance in the art without going to a school... hmm.. May I ask what rank you aer currently?

If you want to fully advance the art.. I would suggest buying a few videos on forms, and practicing the basic blocks, punches, and kicks everyday. Atleast 10 of each technique every day, then make up combinations and ... geta wave master.,

14. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

listen, u urself have already said that u know the basic stuff and only some advanced. this means that there are so many things yet to learn. actually u never stop learning!

on ur own u won't be able to achieve much. u spend some time in the gym. that's ok. but do u have an efficient program? r u skilled enough to change it on ur own? u can't just lift weights. one needs to know certain things about weight training. if u keep doing the same exercises all the time, u will not improve (not forgetting the possibilty of injuring urself).

concerning the martial art part....again, u can't improve on ur own. and whatever u say, u'll not convince me. u can practice the forms on ur own. r u sure u'll know them all right? u can practice the techniques. r u sure u'll do them right? u can practice combinations? r u sure u'll do them ok? r u sure u'll be able to come up with new combinations? r u sure that u'll be able to find efficient combinations? all this is inefficient and to no avail, if u don't get some fighting experience. sparring on ur own? i don't think so. 1-steps, 3-steps on ur own? i don't think so. training with pads on ur own? no way. self-defence on ur own? no, no and no. weapon training on ur own? yeah, right!!!! u need profesisonal guidance.

i didn't mention all these things to annoy u, ok? i am just listing them for u to become aware that there r so many things for u to learn. and if one learns something, one has to improve all the time. on ur own, u won't achieve much. i think it'll become boring for u, and it might become more and more of a weight training session than a martial art training session.

i don't know why u decided to stop going to a school. but, if that is ur decision, it wld be good, if u found someone who has way more experience than u do. u can practice together. it wld be also great if u cld train with someone who actually goes to a martial arts school.

good luck with ur training. i don't know what level u plan and want to reach, but without skilled guidance, i doubt it can be a high one.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2004
  15. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

i personally think it would be hard to train by yourself but it can be possible. read books and get tkd videos they can provide help but not as much as a real living master instructor. if i was you though i would go back to a tkd school thats just me though.

16. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Whoa ... take a breath buddy ... and don't make any accusations assuming I don't know my stuff ... you obviously have developed a stubborn attitude with regards to how you weight train, whose to say you'll listen to what we have to say to you?

"It's also known for extortion and "Ripping off" students, and loosing them through their greed." From your sig you obviously have issues with your previous school .... but don't assume all schools that teach TKD foster that same indignation.

17. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

He's right though. All the people that go to my Dojang are really loose.

PL

18. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... loose???.....:rolleyes: everyone?? You mean flexibile ... right?

Oh do go further and explain to those of us with misconceptions!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2004
  19. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Relaxed I meant. :)

PL

20. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Labatt - lose the arrogance and realise that at your age chances are you still have a lot to learn - about MA and about training with weights. Get your ass to a club and train.

Don't confuse the recommendations of a Professional Bodybuilder with the needs of a combat athlete. Mike Mentzer was a pioneer in his field - if you want to follow his path then fine - but don't confuse it with martial arts or the needs of a martial artist.