Iconic martial arts style movies

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by ap Oweyn, Mar 5, 2014.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That's a very unwieldy title, but it stems from something WhitePanda pointed out in the Taiji subforum.

So the idea is this: Various styles have that one movie (or many movies) that put them on the map, embody them in the minds of the general populace, etc.

Put forward a style and the title of a movie that you believe is iconic for that style. No wrong answers. And certain styles are likely to have many, many movies. For instance:

Muay Thai: Chok Dee
    Boxing: Rocky
    Taekwondo: Best of the Best
    Capoeira: Only the Strong

You get the idea. Have at it.

2. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

Hung ga: Too many to name (Once Upon a Time in China?? 36th Chamber?? How Wong Fei-hung Smashed the Five Tigers?? Drunken Master??)
    Jiujitsu: Redbelt

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Well, the obvious one would be

Wing Chun- Bruce Lee movies, and I would say the Ip Man movies now.

I remember a potential walk in student asking about WC. After he left, the instructor sighed and said Choy Li Fut needed someone to make a movie about it to get it out there and famous for the general public.

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Came here to post this. Also Karate Kid.

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Kung Fu (the TV series - does it count?): Kung Fu

6. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Hapkido - Billy Jack

Taekwondo - Best of the Best

:karate:

7. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Keysi - The Dark Knight (apparently).

8. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Pencak silat - The Raid: Redemption

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Good entries, yeah. TV series are fair game, Boris, yeah. Hadn't really thought of that, since so few styles get that kind of treatment in the first place.

10. Bozza Bostik

I actually wrote it as a very poor attempt at being funny. But then I remembered how influential and popular it was. I know my parents were big fans! Kung Fu wasn't based on a particular style IIRR, but I think it did show the general public in the west CMA and the whole Shaolin thing.

- For money? A Shaolin monk does not sell himself for a hand full of rice.
    - You are more than a handful of rice!

I was also going to add Savate: Savate. but sadly, the public missed that cinematic gem.

11. aka The Clerk

aka The Clerk Valued Member

I love that movie! Olivier Gruner is fantastic. The Circuit trilogy, not so much.

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I didn't. Loves me some Olivier Gruner.

13. aka The Clerk

There was a movie came out in 2011 starring Sammo Hung and Kane Kosugi called 'Choy-Lee-Fut' I think it's also known as 'Fight the Fight'. I haven't seen it, but given the title does it have anything to do with Choy Li Fut?

14. Bozza Bostik

You're not the general public though, you're the other one! :hat:

Need to rewatch that film as soon as possible!

15. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Yeah, I heard about that film. The incident with the instructor lamenting the lack of CLF movies was before this though.

It certanly didn't take off or make CLF more popular to the general public like the Ip Man movies did. And I daresay no one in movies propelled a style like Bruce Lee did for WC. I think the fight sequence with Jackie Chan fighting a CLF style guy is more famous than that film. But CLF has no movie that has propelled it like some other styles. It's a pretty popular style in spite of this though.

But we get people wanting WC checking out the school fairly regularly. Or asking if we have nunchucks like Bruce Lee. *sigh* Personally, that one annoys me as nunchucks aren't even a Chinese MA weapon.

16. aka The Clerk

For what it's worth one night while teaching Karate I had someone come in wearing a long black trench coat who pulled out a Tai Chi sword and asked if I could teach him how to use it.

Also:

Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins: Sinanju.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  17. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Kempo: The Perfect Weapon
    Muay Thai: the Ong Bak/Protector movies or the (ahem) kickboxer movies

18. Boardeaux

Boardeaux Valued Member

Jeet Kune Do: Cowboy Bebop

19. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Sigh, yeah, Only the Strong is the signature capoeira movie, but it is soooo cheesy!

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

BKB - Snatch