Iaido

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Orange...?, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Anybody know anything about Iaido? My friend wants to learn it, and I can't find anything... :p

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Give it time Kozak, you only posted the question just over an hour ago. There are Iaido practitioners here, you'll just have to wait for them to show up.

3. I See...

4. I'm new...

5. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

Theres also a button called 'edit' :p

Just give it a day or two IVP_Kozak, sometimes it takes longer for a response

6. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Iaido is the art of drawing the sword. It really is quite a minimalistic approach to kenjutsu. One cut, One Breath, One Victory. There are quite a few katas, none of them are very long, usually designed for one or two attackers (sometimes 3 but not very often.) It is a beautiful art form and can be quite the work out.

The sword used for iado is called an iaito not a katana. The main difference between the two is the iaito's handle (tsuka) is about a thrid shorter than a katanas. The blade for most iaitos you'll find now adays are made from light weight alloys such as aluminum/zinc and zinc/berylium with a chrome plating. The have no edge and are not designed to do any kind of cutting what so ever.

If you would like to look at some iaitos tozando.com has quite a few to look at and the folks there are quite nice. The ka15 is a GREAT blade to get started with.

hope this helps.

7. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Or 4 (shihogiri for example).

It's a good art to practice, but only if you like that sort of thing. It certainly won't suit people who enjoy a lot of sparring and pressure testing.

8. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Not true aegis, you make your own training routine. Once you learn proper technique, and thats around 3 years minimum doing waza at least. Once u got technique down is actually advisable you look into sparring with bokken or shinai. And testing in iaido is pretty dam hard unlike other style I had experience with, we are actually require to know a lot of our history, how the blade founctions, and reason behind each waza. However I do agree that Iaido is a very lonely art in most cases, unless were doing 2 men waza.:Alien:

9. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I know about Iaido - it requires attention to detail, self discipline and PATIENCE.

I could give you lots of info - but instead I'll give you the first lesson....

10. Wow. 10Q everybody. I am very lucky I found this site. :p

Cool, edit botton :p

Last edited: Dec 27, 2003
  11. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

My mistake. Haven't seen any kenshi from my dojo doing that sort of thing, but perhaps they do that elsewhere.

12. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Where in Canada are you?

Best bet would be to look for the Canadian Kendo Association, they'll tell you where to go.

13. I'm in Toronto.

Canadian Kendo Association... Thanks

14. Hyaku

Hyaku Master of Nothing

Clubs in Toronto, Guelph etc. You are fortunate enough to have Goyo Omi Sensei 7th dan renshi living there. Also Asa Sensei in Toronto is the president of the CKA.

http://www.kendo-canada.com/ckf_dojoadr.htm

Good luck. Who knows, we may meet at one of our seminars in future.

15. Gee Thanks!

The long searching days are over. :p