I was "attacked" last night and.....

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by semphoon, Nov 28, 2004.

1. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

i think that by reading these sort of posts you really get a feeling for how widespread street crime really is. it is really wrong that at some stage in their lives most people, not just in your area but the world, have been attacked without provocation. sorry to get all political, but it had never hit me that way before reading the experiences of everyone here.

2. Dr NinjaBellydance

Dr NinjaBellydance What is your pleasure sir

I think everyone else has pretty much covered what I was going to say. I dont think you could have reacted any better.

I just wanted to ask whereabouts it happened (fellow Edinburger!)?

3. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Sorry to hear about you getting hassle, semphoon. I'm well impressed with the way you kept your cool. :)

4. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

DAMN DAMN DAMN I'M A VICTIM OF ELICITATION

5. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Heh and you think thats bad? I think you would be crying if you knew what goes on in other places.

6. shotokanwarrior

I consider it wrong not because of the danger to yourself (An ostracised loner of a 5th Kyu like me doesn't have a whole lot to be afraid of!!!) but because a lot of social structures seem to have the tendency to blame the victim. I don't understand it, but there it is, if someone is hammering the crap out of you and you take him out, for some reason you're seen as the one in the wrong not them. I think it's something to do with the so-called 'noble' philosophy of not fighting back. Why anyone thinks they have a right however to impose that on other people is beyond me entirely.

7. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Exactly. Being attacked is one thing. Being shot in the head by the police because you happen to be walking along the road at 3:00am is another.

8. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

where does that happen?

9. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Dont know but if I had to guess I would say Hati or Jamaica.

10. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

or america....occurances such as the rodney king incident.

11. Scarlet Mist

It happened to a schoolmate of mine, a few blocks from where I used to live. Some guys were robbing a store and the police decided they needed a victim. It was a rare occurence, but still, it was frightening.
    Heard it happens an awful lot more in Haiti.

12. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

Damn, that's a tough place to be living.
    Makes me feel lucky to live in a country with a decent legal system. :)

13. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Muirhouse (or Muirhoose if you are a local)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  14. Scarlet Mist

Not really, it's a great place to live in. Just that there are a few lunatics who have little respect for human life, and they have guns! :eek:

15. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

The truth of the matter about the Rodney King beating you mention is that although symbolic of police brutality, it is a very atypical incident.

True, the King beating was tragic, all shown on videotape. He'd resisted the officers, he'd charged the officers, he'd thrown four officers off his back, he'd been shot twice with a stun gun, which keeps most people down. (50,000 volts of electricity each time, and it didn't keep him down). This was a case where a great effort was made to take King into custody without hurting him, believe it or not.

16. Scarlet Mist

While this is true you must realize that in many places in the US the police officers use inordinate amounts of force and make serious misjudgements. Like pulling over a bunch of students because the were black.

Of course the issue with the police is very complicated because criminals are very very brutal. If I got pulled over and asked to step out of the car, and while I was reaching quickly to unfasten my seatbelt I got smacked with a maglite, I wouldn't be mad. Because the cop has to cover his ass, and I bet guys have pulled heat on his colleagues when asked to step out of the car.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2004
  17. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

I know that placename. A collegue was heading to a meeting at "North Edinburgh Arts Centre", and when he told the taxi driver the address (in Muirhouse) - he was laughed at and asked if he really wanted to go to that area.

Sounds like you need to keep your eyes open around there. :woo:

18. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Its the place were "trainspotting" was based (trainspotting is a book about heroine addicts) so that gives you an idea.

Im surprised that there are no self defence classes offered in this area.

19. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I like heroines, I would not say I was addicted though, maybe linda carter as wonder woman when I was in my teens.

20. shotokanwarrior

Yeah, justice has fallen by the wayside, social structures are pretty much all about covering your ass.