I want learn grappling

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hapuka, May 10, 2015.

1. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

As my wrestling skills are pretty much next to nothing, I want to be able to learn how to protect myself if I hit the floor. I would like to do a style that incorperates throws, locks and chokes. I have two styles to choose from in my area; BJJ and freestyle wrestling. I would love to do both, but I can only choose one due to other commitments. What are the strengths, pros an cons of each art and what can I expect to learn from either of them?

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I'm a grappling expert, so I say do taekwondo.

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

BJJ is the only one of those two options that incorporates submissions.

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Freestyle wrestling is the one that will keep you standing in a fight.

5. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Been there, done that. :rolleyes:

6. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Judo works wonders when you want to peel someone off of you and let them get to know mother earth from on high

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Speaking as a judoka - if that was your aim, wrestling is a better option.

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

wrestling. i think it will fit well with your weapons work (the other polynesian styles also practice wrestling and its popular during makahiki)

it wont havent submissions but it will have a great emphasis on stand up, positioning and pinning.

also the investment cost (fees, uniform etc) is much much lower in BJJ than wrestling.

but why not try both classes?

9. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Oh, you were one of those students... yeah, maybe something easier like grappling or cross-stitching is better for you.

10. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I'd recommend trying out both places - you might be able to get some free trial lessons (or maybe pay for a week or so). Talk to the instructors about what you are looking for and what how they spar (and maybe get the chance to spar there yourself). Then focus on the one that best suits your needs (and keep a good relationship with the other in case you want to stop in a roll once in a while). Good luck!

11. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Cross-stitching is pretty hard, don't knock it till you try it. :)

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

You'll need it for turning your BJJ gi into a NASCAR suit.

[​IMG]

13. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

I referred to judo as it used to help me relieve stress when there is nothing more satisifying than watching a body hit the floor after using a drop knee seionage and listening to the thud when they hit.. Of course, this is a personal preference from my earlier days in training..

14. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Well it looks like I'm going to need my embroidery skills because I've decided to go with BJJ.
    The only down side is that I'm the only female at the club. But the guys at the club are nice and professional so its all good.

15. Kingbedlam

Kingbedlam Valued Member

You honestly made the right choice.

I wouldn't look at that as a downside. Rolling with men presumedly of larger size and strength will prepare you to do it against a larger male looking to do you harm. You're going to quickly see what works and what doesn't work depending on body type.