I need an opinion...

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Karate_Man_1288, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Karate_Man_1288

Karate_Man_1288 New Member

We are starting to do weapons in class. (i should say have started about 6 months ago). We are doing forms and practicing strikes with the bo staff and plan to start Nunchakus soon. What type of nunchaku should i buy (wood, rattan, etc), where, and why? Thanks in advance for any help

~Tang Soo~

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

What does the rest of the class use?

What does your instructor recommend?

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

2 good questions boss :)

4. cj256

cj256 Valued Member

start of with some rubber foam coated nunchuka 1st untill you build up your confidence with them, that is unless you like sore elbows, knees ,back of head etc!!! also when you get a wooden pair go for the longer handle with chain instead of string ..
    a. because the long handle pair are easier to switchgrip with
    b. the chain lasts longer than the string
    have fun :)

5. b19vny

b19vny Valued Member

It depends, if your kobudo / kobujutsu system comes from a "traditional" line. Wooden, octagonal with cord is usual.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  6. HammerFist

HammerFist New Member

I agree with this post. Strings break and could end up hurting you or someone else.

7. Karate_Man_1288

My sensei said to buy something that you are comfortable with, but recommended the rubber ones to start out with. But after i am confident I planned on buying these.

http://www.karatedepot.com/wp-nu-12.html

are these good, or should i get something else. I am looking for something that is durable. Thanks for all the advice so far

8. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Do you (or your Sensei) know any MA stores in your area? If so, get yourself along and see if you can play with the different styles/materials of nunchaku. That way you will be able to see which weight suits you.

As for the Graphite ones from the link, in my experience Graphite is very light and good for speed work. However, the weight and "speed" of them may not suit you. You will not find out until they arrive at your door, going back to my advice above :)

9. Karate_Man_1288

Thanks alot, i'll try to find a store nearby

10. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Before I was at the point of buying my own equipment, I borrowed and got the feel of as many different sets as I could from my classmates. I've found older or more experiences MAists are happy to help with things like this.

If you can find a shop that will let you 'have a swing about', then you can see just how much difference the length of the wood, the length of the chain, and the general weight can make. What is comfortable for you will be individual to you - don't take any hi-pressure advice from a 'salesperson'. ;)

Enjoy your weapons, and check in with any queries - I'll be interested in your 'forms' and how you learn them.

Tang Soo!!