I missed my 3rd degree Testing!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Labatt, Mar 5, 2003.

1. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

:confused: so which is it??

Just find your "personal best" and pursue that realistic goal!

Welcome Back!!

Ive been there and back and know what it's like.... HELL!!!

Hey check back and let us know how you're doing!!

2. Labatt

Labatt New Member

Thanks Kickchick. How good are you?

Well, I just got back from class today. I did horrible, off coordination, loss of flexibility. I feel like **** right now, like im getting sick all over again. My sparring however was good, my kicks were alot more fast and powerful.

3. Mark Davies

Mark Davies Valued Member

Hey Labatt

Glad to see that you're back kickin & punchin:)

I know how you feel mate, I took five years away from TKD & even though I was training in other Martial Arts it was hell getting 'TKD fit' again (it doesn't help when your instructor is the beastmaster from hell). Ohhhhhh the paaaaaaiiiiin.
    Your co-ordination & stuff will come straight back, you've only been away a wee while.

If you've got the guts to get over your little hurdle & get back to training, then you're gonna max your grading:D

Keep at it.

4. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

I missed my brown belt test twice in two schools. In TSD, I moved on the day of my test. That really sucked. I was depressed for a bit. The second time I didn't care. I went from a good school, to a McDojang, to a good dojang again. This time it will mean more to me. I REFUSED to test again at the McDojang, let alone get a BB that wasn't worth crap there. I was REALLY depressed at the McDojang. Because I knew that it sucked there (except that it taught me how to spar good .... sport place). I knew I wasn't in MA for sport.

What I'm trying to say is, you seem to be happy there (from what I've seen), except for the fact that you missed your test :( It does suck. I been there. Look on the bright side. You have another chance. And your 3rd dan will mean that much more to you. Just like me when I finally get my brown belt :) I look at it this way. I've been training almost 3 years, was supposed to test for BB in TSD in Oct. Now I will have more exerience, my technique is strong, and I'll be way better suited for my BB test here :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2003
  5. Mark Davies

A McDojang, I like that, hehehe:D

6. Labatt

Labatt New Member

Thanks guys/gals. Ya I suppose your right.

I WAS happy at TKD, and I want to get back in it. But I want more, better MA training. I want to get so damn good in blocking and strikes. I don't know if TKD can give me that. But sparring, I love it.

7. KarateKid1975

KarateKid1975 New Member

Then get your butt in there and train! :D

8. Mark Davies

Then find a Dojang that teaches that buddy. I know that I teach that, & that my Instructors taught me that. If you feel that it's time to move on & start learning something new, then do it. I did, & it was the best thing I could've done for my TKD career.

9. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

You're welcome Labatt .... don't listen to what you hear, I am not that good!! :D

I'm fine thanks!! :)

Think positive .... worse thing you can do right now is to be overly critical of yourself. Start training "consistently" and your efforts will pay off the day you test for that next degree!
    June will be here before you know it ... TRAIN HARD!!!

CONGRATULATIONS JOHN on your 2nd dan!!! [​IMG]

10. Labatt

Labatt New Member

Mark, I can't find any Dojang that has what I want.

Thanks kickchick. Give me updates on your progress as well.

11. TKDad

TKDad New Member

I hope you find what you're looking for, Labatt. The funny thing is, however, that no matter where you are, you have to go with yourself. It sounds like you've lost your internal focus (the "chi", I think they call it) that allows your skill and power to show thru in the forms and techniques. Even the greatest dojang cannot put your head together. That's up to you.

For example, why do you want to annihilate your opponent in sparring? Anger does not become lessened by losing it. I have a suspicion that your form and technique will return to its former levels and better when you stop making yourself sick with anger and reunify your spirit. Have you ever seen or known a Master who had not gained control of his/her anger?

Win the mental game first! Join a yoga group, learn how to meditate, or talk to a sympathetic girlfiend, would-be girlfriend, or just a good listener. (I heard somewhere that half the girls liked vulnerable guys - the other half just thought they were whiners. Go figure.) Try flower arranging or something that will allow you to regain your focus without allowing anger to intrude or color your focus. Then start training again, but without concern for the external schedule for promotion imposed by your dojan.

Maybe, you could even choose not to promote if you don't feel yourself ready. Such a choice can let you regain control. It's a step.

Sorry about the length of the post, but I have also had some experience in conquering my own personal demons before I could advance professionally. I cannot overstate the importance of personal self-mastery as a prerequisite for matters that require focus, discipline, and skill.

TKDad

Ability is what you're capable of doing...
    Motivation determines what you do...
    Attitude determines how well you do it.

12. Labatt

Labatt New Member

Wow. That is truly a great post TKDad.

I know what your saying is right......but, I just feel that I should NOT try to calm down and self master myself. The reason being is that I have ALWAYS been calm and have had self mastery. This is the first time I've really "Exploded" in a different direction.

Graunted, my form and technique will come back slower if I Do this, but I want to try it out, see what happens, gain some experience, learn something about myself. U know what I mean?

I feel, that Im very close, very close to something. This anger is a good feeling, I like it. I do need to RELAX though. Im gonna work on that.

Annihilating my oponent, I need to do this. I have never been this viscious before. I want to see what I can do. I need to grow stronger.

Thanks man, once again, great post.

13. John G

John G Valued Member

If you must release your anger, do it on someone who has the same size or bigger chip on their shoulder as you have and thrash it out. One will loose and the other will feel like a fool.

You get a far bigger buzz out of knowing you can, and controlling it so you don't.

Good luck.

14. John G

John G Valued Member

If you must release your anger, do it on someone who has the same size or bigger chip on their as you and thrash it out. One will loose and the other will feel like a fool.

You get a far bigger buzz out of knowing you can, and controlling it so you don't.

Good luck.

15. TKDad

TKDad New Member

I can empathize with your 4/16 post. I' too, had always been too "calm". It was exhilarating when I could really "let go". It's just a temporary fix, though. It becomes harder and harder to get the same rush of elation and freedom. Kinda' like the banned stuff.

Have you seen the movie "Anger Management"? The repressed anger/depression stuff really happens. The key to the plot was integrating the angerand self-confidence into the daily routine so that there is no difference among the proper needs of your self-image, self-confidence, and personal success and the daily interactions with folks around you. I hate looking to a movie for advice, but it seems like this one might be apt.

Good luck.

A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor. (African proverb)

16. DOUBLEDOUBLE

DOUBLEDOUBLE New Member

I understand how you feel. I been a 1st dan for 4 years, something always comes up to keep me from training, example car wreck in year 01 , had collaspe lung, broken collar bone, crack rib. off for six months, then came money problems etc etc.
    But i know i'll get back to my traing when iam suppose too and will be where iam suppose to be when iam suppose to be there. so keep up the good work you been doing and you'll there where you're suppose to be there

17. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

LOL...

Ok...it's not really funny...I've been there too bro!

18. Ara

Ara New Member

Keep your chin up, train just as hard and when you test next it will feel even better when you pass :)