I have a few questions about Aikido

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Smitty16, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Smitty16

Smitty16 Banned Banned

Hey,

I have a few questions about Aikido. I want to know if its a Combative style that you coulduse in a real situation instead of just showing off and tournments. I want to know this because I was to be a Navy Seal and somone told me Aikido was along the lines of what they teach Seals. I was also wondering what kind of styles of martial arts it has come from. And I would like to know a little bit about its history. Thank you for your time. Bye.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

This is getting beyond a joke.

Same question in FOUR forums about different arts - same question each time?

STOP IT!

3. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

would monsier prefer le ban? :D

4. YODA

Update....

FIVE forums :woo:

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Navy Seal, at 16...

BBBBBWWWWWWAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

6. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

Navy Seals?? I believe they rely on more simpler and effective tactics in close quarters, mainly composites of jujitsu, grappling, joint locks, breaks, Thai boxing, karate, rifle-bayonet or knife fighting, etc. They MAY incorporate components of Aikido in their regimen but their main objective isn't to be an aikidoka. There's also a system called SCARS that claims to be the official hand-to-hand training for them and they also brought in outside trainers.

7. YODA

Claims is the word!

They have "worked with" many people - JKD's Paul Vunak is one that CAN be verified.

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Some friendly advice for you, Smitty:
    1) Read other threads in the Forum before posting questions. The nature of aikido has already been discussed. (It's not combative.) Whether or not aikido has tournaments has already been discussed. (With one exception, no.) It's geneology has already been discussed (primarily aikijujitsu plus kenjutsu).

2) All of your aikido questions can be answered through a single google.com search. Did you try that?

3) I do not believe that anyone told you that the United States Navy Seals learn aikido. That's a ridiculous statement. No one would say that the Seals learn aikido. Consequently, at the present moment you have no credibility with me.

4) Being a Navy Seal has little to do with martial arts ability. It has everything to do with mental tenacity and physical fitness. The Seals will teach you martial arts, but first, you have to go to bed at 2 am, get up at 4 am, and jog six miles before breakfast. Every day. Are you doing that?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2003
  9. timmeh!

timmeh! New Member

yeah, but is it a grappling art?...........................

:D

10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

nnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(As in no, not again, I'm not getting drawn into that again! :D )