I apologiz to everyone who practices AIKIDO! LOL!

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by shotokankarate, Sep 19, 2003.

1. shotokankarate

shotokankarate New Member

I have just joined a Shotokan Karate dojo yesterday, but before then, I was on a quest to find the right martial art to study in and I went into an Aikido school, among other schools.

Now, after reading the thread in this forum, I think it's called can aikido be effective in a real street fight or something like that, I realized that I may have not given this art enough credit. Now, the school was physically the best martial art school in my area, as far as facility wise, having water fountains, a clean enviroment, and air condition that worked too well (it was freezing in there!)

The had even let me take two free trial lessons out on the mat and were very friendly and down to earth people. The instructors, one man and one women, were very warm and inviting and taught with a relaxed style of teaching and were very patient.

Now, the thing that turnd me off to Aikido was the very movement of the art. We were practicing this move where some one throws a punch, you dodge it by stepping to the outside, grab their wrist, and then turn so that you are behind them while holding their arm by the wrist. (I hope you guys can get that mental picture!)

Now, the opponent is facing foward, and you are behind the opponent holding his arm facing the opposite direction, and with one step foward and pressing down on the wrist, the opponent falls to the ground and then you hit them.

Now, watching this, they asked me if I wanted to participate and I was like sure, why not, it's free. So, they showed me how to do the move first and walked me through it, and when I pressed down on the guy's wrist, he fell over. I was like, you dirty dogs! This guy is obviously faking, they just want me to join the school, I didn't even press on his wrist hard. So then, when they did it on me I damn near fell over onto my face. I got up and from that point on, I was like, I seen enough. Looking back on it, the reason I didn't choose Aikido was for the fact that it seemed so awkward for me to learn. I was actually intimidated by the art.

You're not just punching and kicking but are using a different approach to fighting that I never even knew existed. I felt that even its basic techniques were infact too hard for me to learn because I was just not use to moving that way. I never even imagined fighting that way. Before I left the school, the instructor was sitting on the floor and had some advance students attack him while he was sitting down and this man beat them while sitting down!!! I was like, nah, this is too wierd, it looked rehersed. Then, he stood up and the same students charged him and this is why I left. This man effortlessly flipped this one student to the floor with one hand by side stepping and at the same time with his other hand, locked the other student's wrist and used him like a sheild! The other students tried to get around him and once they did, the instructor flipped them all onto their back! This man only moved like three times in the whole fight! He was not even out of breath or anything!

After the class I told them that this isn't for me, this is too complicated. This was too scientific for my liking. The women instructor said everything comes in time and that if I keep up with the training, my body will feel comfortable moving like that. I was like, nah, this isn't for me and left. But Aikido has the best martial art uniform in existence! I love the skirt thing that they wear, reminds me of a samurai! I'm thinking though that i've made a grave mistake though. I was totally impressed by Aikido just as much as TKD, perhaps a little bit more, but did I let self doubt get into the way? Should I have given it more of a chance? I was dumb for thinking walking off the streets I would fit right in with Aikido's fluid motion, being untrained in any martial art whatsoever! I'm thinking about going back to check it out one more time! Man, the hardest step for me is choosing the right art.

I joined the Shotokan gym already, but I don't get paid until monday, so I have a whole weekend before I confirm my decision and paymy tuition for shotokan. Since this is an Aikido forum, can I get some feed back. Basically, I am very competitive and love to compete in an controled, ring with a ref, but as far as on the streets of reality and on the avenue of cold hard real life, I want to down an attacker in the first five seconds of a fight and run away like hell! I want to hit the attacker with just enough force to knock him down so I can put a few blocks between me and him by running away. Forget all of those, ten minute long, back alley fights where you go toe to toe with your attacker and have a short conversation with him saying "you're good, but justice will prevail!" forget that, i'm knocking you down and getting out of there, no questions asked! Can Aikido do that in real life? I want some input about Aikido! Thanks in advance!

2. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Aikido is a very complicated art, and can be very effective if done right. However this is one of those long term art, require a lot of practice before you can put it into good use. Unlike muay thai, boxing etc where you can get this far with 5 month of training. Aikido will take much longer amount of time into training before you can compare with the other style. You'll be suprise, how easy it is for a aikido master to defend himself on the street. Without throwing a single punch/or kick you'll see people end up in pain on the ground. The most effective way of fighting is disabling your oppenet, and aikdo do that very well. If you at it from a different angle, it will take many punch/kick before you can really disable someone. However I dont recommend Aikido for beginner. You should learn how to punch/kick properly before you learn stuff like throws and joint locks.

3. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Shotokan glad to see you have taken some interest in Aikido. I fact the Aiki arts have gotten a bad rap due to the fact that alot of moves look impractical and the uke(the guy getting thrown) looks like he is cooperating. In reality though Aiki does have alot of street practicality.
    Now here is the problem with Aiki arts: it is a finite art. You will be forever practicing and honing your abilities, the slightest adjustment in a throw can make a terrible amount of difference. The reason why the instructors are patient is because you have to be, sure the gross movements can be easily taught but its the refining that takes a long long long time.
    The idea of Aiki is too dispatch an assailant with as little force as necissary. The attacker is providing a ton of energy, you just redirect it. This would be the reason why the instructor looks so calm, little physical effort is required.
    Aiki in a street fight does work but the techniques will be a little different. They would be adjusted so it makes it VERY difficult for the to escape a throw and makes the throw that much quicker.
    The reason why the ukes look so cooperative is if they aren't they would get terribly hurt. When the BDU on the street takes the same throw it will look very nasty, possibly broken bones, broken joints, concussion, road rash etc etc.
    However Aiki does not have alot to offer in the realm of competition. I dont know of any point sparring or anything of the sort. Competitions usualy are for judging fluidity, style, etc etc.
    The moves do look complicated and intricate but once you begin to understand the principals it gets much easier. Dont let the complexity scare you off, it really is pretty simple. It just takes a long time to master, with proper training it starts to become instinctive. It requires alot of patience though but anything worth doing is hardly ever easy.
    I have been practicing aiki for a few years now and I love it immensly. Trust me, I had the same angst and self doubt when I started.

The skirt thing we wear is called a hakama, it is traditional samurai garb and makes the movements look that much more fluildike :)

4. shotokankarate

Wow, thanks guys! I got to do some more soul searching before I decide what art I really want to choose! I respect Aikido's approach and philosophy to combat! The real question is, do I have the patients to learn the beautiful and deadly skills Aikido offers! Right now, I don't know. I may stop back their today! Thanks again guys!

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I realize I'm entering the conversation late, but anyway ... I totally agree with what Virtuous said. Right on. I found aikido after trying combative, fighting styles, and all I can say is, "Wow! This stuff works, and it's so much more fun!"

6. xubis

xubis New Member

I am thinking of taking up akido to go along with my shotokan, would seem to be quite affective, I just haven't found any Akido clubs/dojos in my area.

7. Hakko-Ryu

Hakko-Ryu New Member

hmmm...if you like aikido then why not try out a japanese jujitsu? similar...but different...hehe you'll see what i'm saying if you ever check out a Japanese jujitsu place. Look for a Daito, aiki jujitsu background or a Denzen Ryu. I've heard of a school in NY called Miyama Ryu Jujitsu, but not sure if they're still around since the founder passed away years back. Allright good luck!

8. shotokankarate

Thank you guys!

9. cal_JJJ

cal_JJJ New Member

Try contacting member "pitchblack70", NYC. Might know a Jujitsu school over your way.

10. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

Aikido can be a very effective means of self defense except for the following:

a) it taked too long to learn.

Few people will be willing to wait 10 or more years before they can effectively defend themselves with whatever art they are studying.

b) studying it well enough to use it on the street is very dependent on your fellow students and your teacher.

In a lot of Aikido clubs, there's too much cooperation. The uke reacts like a trained circus animal, throwing themselves at the slightest touch. Yes, you have to do good ukemi to keep from getting injured, but that's a world away from the over choreographed practice in a lot of clubs. If you practice in a club like this, you'll end up having an overestimation of your skills and a lack of appreciation for the realities of a street fight.

Having the right teacher is very critical since you may end up studying under one of those vegan, tofu-munching hippies that are drawn to aikido. I do understand that the ethics and morality of the founder of aikido is one of peace and harmony, but I also know that he wasn't above striking attackers in his younger days.

If you want to learn aikido and appreciate it as a martial art rather than just "moving zen", then I suggest you find a teacher that believes in using atemi and the rigorous application of techniques.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2003
  11. totality

totality New Member

why didn't anyone make a comment about the skirt thing??? i mean c'mon, show a little respect for your effeminate...er, i mean beautiful and graceful hakama some of you wear. sheesh, do i have to do everything around here...:)

12. Razor

Razor New Member

Polar Opposites-

So you have tried Shotokan and Aikido only?

The best way to decide which art is best for you is to do what you did at the Aikido Dojo- speak to the instructors, watch a class, try a class- see how the Instructor interacts with the students etc..

Whenever someone asks me which art is "the best", "the easiest to learn", the "most street effective" etc. I tell them to try a few different classes because if they do not enjoy the training, they will quit before the desired result anyway!

I studied "soft-style" Aikido for a couple of years while I was working at a martial arts school (Aikido was after my class-) and I absolutely loved it!
    To each his own-

I would recommend watching or trying (If locations are close by-)

TKD
    Kenpo/Kempo
    Aikido
    Shotokan (Or other linear Japanese hard style-)
    Then a Soft style like Kung-Fu (Many versions/styles-)

That is the martial sampler!

Have fun, train hard, and don't quit!

james

13. Tintin

Tintin Cats: All your base...

Sorry this is a bit of a late reply to Virtuous, but this point keeps rearing its ugly head....

Aikido does have quite a bit to offer in terms of competition, as is mentioned in a number of the other threads in this forum. Do a search on 'Tomiki' or 'Shodokan' for more information.

Events include kata embu (judged on technical excellence of technique and presentation - posture, ma ai etc) and randori shiai(points scoring sparring)

14. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

thanx tintin. I was aware of kata embu but randori shiai is new to me. Thanx again

15. Tintin

No problem. It's not everyones cup of tea, but it can be quite good fun for letting of steam!

16. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

My experience with aikido is with a friend who had been doing it for 5 yrs when I met him.

I sparred him and he was knocking me across the room or flipping me like nobody's business.

Then he got his sword out :eek:

I ran and ran and ran ;)

Aikido = cool (though kungfu's my thing)

Rgds,
    David

17. raybri-san

raybri-san New Member

the most important of aikido is respect and harmonie thats why you pin him or trow him if a good aikidoka do not want you to do that beliefe me it wont work he will take over the technique and trow you avery where he or she wants whit no problem at all
    ------------------------------------
    treu victory =self victory

18. Tintin

Hmm, well respect for life is one of the most important aspects of anything, not just Aikido. Not sure about harmony, it depends on your own interpretation, but my ultimate aim is initially keep myself unharmed in a confrontation, then secondly keep the attacker unharmed.
    If anyone believes this to be the wrong way round then they are a better man than me.

19. Monoxide1346

Monoxide1346 New Member

about the wrist thing, im pretty sure they SHOULD have the tapping system o_O

20. cripplefujitsu

cripplefujitsu New Member

Hey all, new to the forum but saw this line of discussion. I'm a blind tetraplegic and aikido has been a godsend. An arm I could barely use to push my wheelchair six months ago can now do ten perfect strikes against a dummy, once i figure out where the dummy is....it's been great for helping me evaluate my environment, and has even broken the arm of an unsuspecting mugger who decided the blind man at the bus stop looked like an easy mark.....glad to have found this site, nice to meet you all.....