HWUTS recent photos

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by craigwarren, Dec 7, 2003.

1. craigwarren

craigwarren Valued Member

Hi everyone, i've been taking lots of photos at Heriot Watt TKD recently, and created a website so that people can see whats being taken. I figured some of the MAPPERS would appreciated the photos so i'd post this link

http://www.craigwarren.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pictures/

Comments appreciated :)

2. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

for god sake don't use frames ever ever ever

3. craigwarren

Wots wrong with frames, besides the site isnt a masterpiece. Its something i put together after 5 mins in notepad.

The pictures are important not the site.

On the overhand if you have an equally easy but more effective methor of displaying them on my own web space do tell.

4. WhiteWizard

if you have to dispaly things this way use tables for layout not frames honestly frames are just all round badness in web design terms

5. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

He's not getting paid for it WW. I agree with you about frames. But the site does it's purpose. No need to do a complete professional effort when it isn't called for :p

Last edited: Dec 7, 2003
  6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Good Photo's Craig... one thing though... who's who? :)

7. craigwarren

http://www.craigwarren.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pictures/poolday/9.jpg

Thats "The borderer, with the green belt"

http://www.craigwarren.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pictures/2003british/4.jpg

Thats Tosh

http://www.craigwarren.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pictures/2003british/2.jpg

Im the second person from the right here, followed by Tosh and The borderer, me and the borderer have green belts now.

http://www.craigwarren.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/pictures/2003t1clubphoto/2.jpg

And finally semphoon is the red bet in the bottom row pointing at the camera.

If you wanna know who other people are your gonna have to ask.

8. WhiteWizard

any good computing science should treat everything as professional work :D.

i wasn't having a go at him i just hate frames. plus tables are easier to work with IMO

9. craigwarren

I think frames work well and if combined with tabels allow well designed sites to be created. But this is a photo gallery, its doing its job. Thats all i want of it at the moment. I'll be taking over the HWUTS official web site after christmas, that will be something i want looking good.

10. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Ah, the pics are fine....good job:)

11. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I believe your design is fine, there is nothing wrong with the way you have used frames.

That whole "never use frames" thing is soooo 1990s! University coursework is typically 5 yrs behind the industry so your WW aversion is natural (and outdated)

I'm not just talking about my personal opinion, I design software at one of the few successful "dot com" companies still in business, we use them extensively, without problem.

BTW - that looks like a fun school y'all have there!

David

12. WhiteWizard

W3C web accessibility people hate them hence i do :)

13. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Speaking as a pro web designer....

Frames suck more than a sucky thing that sucks :woo:

14. craigwarren

Im entrigued as to whether someone can give me a better reason than "they suck" or "someone else told me they suck". They seam to do the job fine.

15. YODA

Search engines don't index them properly.

Browser support & intergation is poor

Accessibility issues - users with disabilities often use software that does not render frames well.

In some browsers the use of frames caused the users back button to work wrongly.

Because the URL stays the same as you navigate a framed site, navigating to and bookmarking individual pages can be difficult or impossible

Some browsers may not allow users to print multiple frames at once - the content of only one frame at a time may be printed

16. craigwarren

Ok yoda, good points for professional website, ones i'll take into account when recreating HWUTS wedsite.

What would you recommend to achieve the same effects with frames. Bearing in mind that i would like to avoid having to include the header, and site directory in every page i create cause that would waste lots of space.

17. WhiteWizard

just use a template

18. YODA

Yep - a template based design is the way to go. Have your navigation on every page - but only editable in a template that will update all pages when you change it.

You'll need to ditch crappy old Notepad and get some real software though :D

19. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

How about this.. They suck, so there:p
    OR They suck cuz Yoda says they suck!

20. craigwarren

Got dreamweaver, never use it.

Time to get the old help files out :(