Hwang Su Il Taekwondo

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Razgriz, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6anx6B7e6sE"]Hwang Su Il Taekwondo ITF champion - YouTube[/ame]

Would of preferred to see this at the Olympics :)

Skip the first minute if you wish, to get to the fighting.

Raz

2. chrispillertkd

chrispillertkd Valued Member

He's pretty awesome. I'd love the chance to train with him if he ever comes to the U.S. to do a seminar. (Or Pak, Chong-Hyon. He's excellent!)

Pax,

Chris

3. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Would you believe he's 41 as well!
    He was at the world champ's in Estonia recently wish I'd gone but it was a week after I got back into TKD so there will be more chances I guess.

Not heard of Pak,Chong-Hyon Vid's please!

:)

4. chrispillertkd

Unfortunately, I can't find any videos of Pak, Chong-Hyon on youtube. There used to be one of him and Hwang Su-Il testing for VI dan. They could be seen doing So-San and Se-Jong together. Very nice. (I do tend to think they do a little too much rocking on their sine wave when stationary, but that's like critisizing Jaroslav Suska; you point it out and people crucify you :) ).

There used to be a video of Seo Man-Cheol doing Tong-Il, too. THAT was awesome.

There's a DVD set featuring the three of them doing the tul from Chon-Ji to Choi-Yong. Very nicely produced.

Pax,

Chris

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think any time spent in sine wave is too much, but each to their own :D

Mitch

6. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

critisizing Jaroslav Suska is death big time.

He is seen as one of the best. I always tell people to watch him if their looking for pattern practice at home.

I'm looking forward to travelling to TKD seminar's world wide, something I want to get into but getting the time and getting the money is such a pain.

Raz

7. chrispillertkd

All I know is once I understood it I was faster and had more power to my techniques. But it took a while.

Pax,

Chris

8. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

You mean with SW right?

Raz

9. Mitch

I'm glad it worked for you, unusual though it is :)

Mitch

10. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Wait wait.. Mitch, your anti Sine wave?

11. chrispillertkd

I don't know about unusual. I know many people who will say it adds power to their techniques, and I'm not the only one I know who has noticed the increase in speed. I will say, though, that it takes a while to work it out for yourself. I remember learning it and thinking, "You're kidding, right?"

I've seen some people get so caught up in getting the form right that they emphasize that and begin slowing way down. Maybe they think a bigger sine wave will result in even more power, I don't know. But you get to a point of diminishing returns. You also tend to lose the springing forward that results in more speed. There are a couple of subtle things that once you realize and incorporate sine wave really almost takes care of itself.

Pax,

Chris

12. Mitch

To be fair I'm being a bit mischevious, sorry :)

My org parted company from the ITF in the early 80s so we practice a version of TKD which is much more hip-twist orientated, with the early, gentle, rise and fall motion rather than the exaggerated sine wave of much later ITF.

So yes, I think most modern sine wave is mistaken and I concentrate on an early form of sine wave which works well in conjunction with hip-twist as used by, well, everybody else in the martial arts world. :D

We shouldn't go into this here though, we should go back to one of many, many threads on this here on MAP. :)

Mitch

13. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

curious which org?

14. Mitch

TAGB. My Instructor competed at the Olympics though so he has a WTF background, so I have a number of influences.

Mine mainly come from practicality, and for me personally, hip twist works in all situations where sine wave tends (as it is performed in recent years at least) to work in patterns alone.

Each to their own though, if Chris or yourself have made it work for you then good for you and I wish you well. :)

Mitch

15. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

Yea something I liked during my short time with the TAGB was the emphasis on Hip-Twist.

I think for breaking, pattern application and SD then sine wave has a part to play.
    Not in sparring though, I think you would run out of oxygen to fast.

Raz

16. chrispillertkd

GM Choi, Jung Hwa emphasizes hip twist in combination with sine wave. In fact at the first seminar I went to with him he talked about the two planes of movement the body goes through as being analogous to a screw being twisted into something. I would also say that Gen. Choi talks about jerking the hip "violently" when performing punches and other techniques in the encyclopedia.

I'm not sue what you mean by "run[ning] out of oxygen" due to sine wave. It's never added any noticeable exertion to my techniques. Are you maybe referring to the loud expulsion of breath that you sometimes hear people do?

Pax,

Chris

17. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

I like the idea of 2 planes of movement:

And yes I mean, when you see people do patterns and sparring there can be a lot of superficial noise made I don't know if this is just for "look at me" or how they have been taught.

I normally just breath lol

Raz

18. Mitch

Absolutely, it's why I dislike the over-emphasised sine wave of more recent years, combined with static hips.

MItch

19. Razgriz

Razgriz Valued Member

:love::love::love:

Yes!

I think there is a balance to be struck, though I will spend some time with the encyclopdia tonight for the exact definiton (unless TKDStuden would like to make an appearance on this thread:D)

Though I guess the TAGB doesn't accept the revisions which include the Sine wave?

Raz

20. chrispillertkd

Ahh, got it. I will say that Gen. Choi emphasizes expelling the breath at the moment of impact in order to tense the body both when striking and when getting hit (and I have to tell you from personal experience, doing so really does help absorb a blow). This is done during fundamental exercises and patterns in a manner that can be heard. There are also some more subtle things going on when breathing during slow motion, connecting motions, consecutive motion, etc.

During free sparring, however, Gen. Choi said the breath should be "disguised" in order to prevent the opponent from being able to tell if you're becoming winded.

Pax,

Chris