hurt the attacker or not, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Jordan, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Often a humane way to take someone down

Is with a shot, be it open hand or fist.

Many joint locks and throws require a degree of ability for the opponent to land or move without causing harm to themselves even if your trying to be gentle. Also remembering the emotional element of the situation you will do your techniques harder and faster than in the dojo.

So a good shot on the chin (does not need to be too hard) can be enough or a jab to the nose can often be enough to make the non "FIGHTER" types who are just showing off in front of there mate back down.

And it can still be SD in the eyes of the law in the UK depending on the situation.

--------------------------

If you did not hit him then you would not in trouble.
    Twice might be to excessive.

By definition once must then be reasonable force?

-------------------------

2. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

I was gonna say something similar.

Any sort of wrist lock, lock or take down in general is gonn hurt alot more (especially cause there's concrete) rather than just punching them.

I men sure u can move out teh way and do it in the nicest possible way but it's still gona hurt.

3. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

No, you're right. I study aikijutsu which kind of makes me a minority so 'traditional aikido' forums dont always necisarrily apply to the art I train but it is the closest thing. So in a theology aspect we are both right. Forgive me when my jutsu gets in the way of my do :).

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I'm with you here until no. 3 Dave. I've always thought it weird that there exists the idea that an agressor would be thrown. Lets take Kote Gaeshi for example. I always believed that ukemi was developed to allow tori to practice the technique with full power and intent. If Joe Bloggs attacks your and you respond with full commitment I don't see that he'll be 'thrown', rather more likely a hideous compound fracture would occur.

Colin

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

No problem. My favorite martial arts are aikido, aiki-JJ, and Japanese JJ. (And escrima, for the weapons). I think there's a pattern there!

6. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

ah the UK law.
    people have gone to jail when a burgler simply fell down the stairs in the house they broke into

7. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

No Ken arts? Im surprised :)

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

That's my dream. (sigh) I have long thought that the sword is the coolest weapon ever devised by Man, and of all the swords, the Japanese katana is the coolest. I'm learning a bit of aikiken through aikido, and I love it, but right now I know very, very little about the sword. But I'm hungry for more. I bought Gaku Homma's book "The Structure of Aikido" and Dave Lowry's "Bokken" in the hopes of learning more.

9. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

of course hurt them. they're attacking you aren't they?

10. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

injure before you maim
    maim before you kill

but by all means kick their worthless backside to a new and interesting kind of ouch. rip their shoulder out of it's socket if you have to but most importantly: DO NOT LOSE. losing is death (sometimes, assume the worst) if you are protecting someone then presumably they will not be in a fit state if you fail to do so. if you dont succeed in defending yourself then you may end up dead.

11. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Do u ahve a western name for Kote gashei?My japanese terminology is terrible but i recognise the name.

Any way as i was gonna say. In teh stree I thik that for alot of moves i wouldn't expect them to be trhown. BUt to be hurt worse becasue they aren't trained to be thrown to help iliviateteh pain.

Is kote gashi a wrist whip?

12. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

Wrist turns out throw, but that is about as generic as it gets