Human Weapon: SAMBO

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Davey Bones, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

anyone else catch it on Friuday night? post your thoughts.

my initial reaction (just finished watching it myself)... overall, one of the better episodes. honest, which seems to be rare for this show, which tends to buy into propaganda. training was hardcore, nice to see Jason and Bill sweating it out.

my beef? the fight. last week Jason got a kid, and this week Bill got a kid. I'd like to know what was going through Fedor's mind in choosing that kid to fight Bill. I suspect a bit of arrogance on the part of Fedor? Or perhaps the kid needed some humbling himself? it was the most one-sided fight I'd ever seen on this show, and the SAMBO kid put up zero resistance. I don't get it.

sucky ending to an otherwise good ep.

2. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

It was a good show and everything about it was interesting except as you pointed out the fight at the end. Watching other people training during the show it is hard to believe that Fedor could not find a better opponent for Bill. Still I enjoyed it. (I am a sucker for martial arts shows) :cool:

3. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

I'll agree that it was a pretty good one. I always the love the historical parts and must admit I knew little about Sambo. There may have been "propaganda" but there generally is in any MA school's fliers or web site.

The fight at the end certainly was one sided. The kid that Jason got in last week's episode was way better than the one Bill drew. Who knows why the Russian kid was so lame? It does look like Bill is improving though.

4. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

yeah i always want to watch this show....but when i start out the propaganda stuff so turns me off that i end up switching to.... flavor of love or celebrity fit club.(yes i know i have bad taste)

but this eposode was no different.....i turned it when the thye said that the russians used sambo to fight the nazis in wwII.....im banking the ppsh-41 was a bit more important.

a cool part was the fact that its one of the few martial arts that can claim that its "leathality" is testing on real people......solviet gulag prisoners under the stalin regeme.

5. Brian R. VanCis

Brian R. VanCis Valued Member

There is no doubt about it that Sambo is a tough art and that Sambo practitioners are in general on average tough people. :cool: Still as to the Gulag story I would like to know if that is true as I have not heard that anywhere else!

6. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

I felt that this one captured the History Channel's sense of drama the best, with the constant references to World War II.

7. Zealot

Zealot Valued Member

I wish I could have caught that one.

8. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

never heard much about it ether but it sounds like something stalin would do