How would I wash a gi?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Chr9is, Apr 2, 2006.

1. Chr9is

Chr9is New Member

Hi, I was told by my insturctor not to wash my gi when i bought it since he said it'd shrink. However, I have a few very small blood stains on it from cuts on my fingers opening up during class.

Is there anyway to wash my gi without it shrinking?
    Thanks

2. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Not likely that you will be able to wash it without it shrinking bu you could try a very cool wash but that is unlikely to clean the sweaty stains properly

3. fanatical

fanatical Cool crow

Haha. NOT to wash it? How were you going to get it clean? Blow on it and hope for the best?

4. pmitch89

pmitch89 Thats Nucking Futs!!

You can cold wash it, then hang dry it. It'll still shrink, but it will be minimal.

5. Dragon Brush

Dragon Brush Valued Member

Depends how much it would shrink really. If it wouldn't be enough to matter, then it should be fine.

Cold washing will help take out the bloodstains, but it won't get the BO smell out of the fabric.

6. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Hate to think what your instructors gi smells like :eek:

7. Captain_Coward

Captain_Coward Ne-Waza Worm

Really you should always expect shrinking in your gi and therefore by one that is slightly larger than desired, and use your washing machine to clean it.

K

8. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Soaking it in cold water overnight should get the blood to lift. As for sweat and dirt you'll need to at least wash it it warm water.

9. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

No

10. DeepFreeze

DeepFreeze Lurker

Gi always shrink when you wash them the first time. You just need to buy them knowing what to expect.
    How much they shrink, depends on the gi and temperature you wash them in.

Just try to wash them in the lowest possible temperature to minimize the shrinkin.
    Exceptions are pre-shrinked gi's that shouldnt get effected in any case.

11. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

Surely Dry cleaning won't shrink it, as it doesn't get wet, it uses chemicals to lift the dirt off super quick.

Could try that?

12. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

as long as you dont tumble dry it, it should be ok?

13. CraigM

CraigM Valued Member

Mate i am sorry to say but your gi will shirnk no matter what. Its unavoidable even with a cold wash (some shrinkage will still occur)

Try not to tumble dry it and let it dry naturally. If you do tumble dry it make sure its on cool.

Commone mistake is to drape the thing over a radiator. Radiators have heat and when it comes into direct contact with the gi will cuase it to shrink up. Try and borrow or buy a 'clothes horse' to dry on.

As a side note...WTF! Your instructor told you not to wash your gi! Its etiquette to turn up to training with a clean gi. Not some mingin thing that has not been washed in weeks.

I bet your instructors gi walks into the dojo all by itself eh!

Craig

14. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Its a soft style technique ...if you smell real bad then noone will ever attack you.....LOl!!! :D

15. CraigM

CraigM Valued Member

Imagine being put in a kesa gatame by a player with a gi that hasn't been washed in 6 weeks. Instant tapout.

hmmm...i see his point now :D Your instructor isn't just stinky. He's a clever and stinky lol.

16. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I used to train with a guy who never washed his gi. It turned brown (and this was a white karate gi) and went >squelch< when you punched him! yuk!

17. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Hydrogen Peroxide will remove even old dried blood stains... just wet the spots with it, watch the bubbles :) then rinse in cold water. Be careful though you might make a clean spot.

18. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

A little blood never hurt, however the stench might. Wash it in cold water, no bleach. Stretch it out with someone so it won't shrink too much and air dry.

19. Alberta

Alberta A legend in my own mind.

for blood stains, after training soak the blood stain in salt water!

20. Chr9is

Chr9is New Member

thanks for all the advice guys. I'll try the hydrogen peroxide to remove the blood stains and then wash it cold.

Erm..yeah my instructor's gi does smell..not terribly bad, but enough that its noticeable the few times ive been uki for his demonstrations. I assume that hes washed it before, the sleeves are a bit short on him.