How useful is judo in a real life situation?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by GrandmasterAdam, Aug 2, 2008.

1. GrandmasterAdam

GrandmasterAdam Valued Member

Hi everyone!
    I've always wondered how effective judo is for real life combat because from what i know of it it emphasizes a lot on groundfighting which, in my opinion, is not practical because you aren't going to roll about on a concrete floor. It's obviously dangerous and you may roll onto some sharp objects ie broken glass.
    Educate me.

2. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

It has a good amount of ground fighting but it is mostly stand up.

Actually it's very practical to throw someone onto a concrete floor.

GrandmasterTroll?

A more interesting question would be "How would Judo's sport mindset and rule set create bad habits that would prove to be less than desirable in the pavement arena?"

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Are you kidding dude? What could be not useful about learning to go BAM and slam somebody onto the floor if they're trying to grab hold of you? Are you sure you're not getting judo and BJJ mixed up? Judo looks like this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be-BoM-WokY"]best of judo - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  4. GrandmasterAdam

fair enough i see your points thanks

5. GrandmasterAdam

by the way the grandmaster thing is a joke as im only 15

6. Gong_Sau_Rick

Gong_Sau_Rick ultimate WSL nutrider

Yes, that makes a lot of sense.

7. GrandmasterAdam

well im not trolling if thats what you were getting at

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  8. righty

righty Valued Member

You find it worthwhile asking this same question over in the BJJ forum. After all they focus on groundfighting even more than Judo.

9. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Which is a range I'd much rather forego in a streetfight or self defence situation. It is necessary because there is a small chance that the fight may end up on the ground and you need to know the quickest way to your feet.

Judo may be more relevent to street applications

10. righty

righty Valued Member

Sshhh, I'm trying to get this guy to move forums. Not just for selfish reasons, as the question regarding ground fighting would probably be better answered. I think the question regarding Judo has pretty much been answered.

The BJJers will also tell you that the majority (or use another word that makes going to the ground not uncommon) of fights will end up on the ground.

11. Moi

So will the JJJers. It's in their interests to say that. It is also why you need to know what to do when you get there, just in case it does.

If you get it right with the striking only one person need go to the ground.

12. righty

righty Valued Member

Not in my experience. In fact the vibe I get from here is the opposite, go to the ground only as a last resort if avoidance, strikes, and throws, in that order, don't finish it. I'd be interested to hearing what JJJ person you heard this from.

The vibe I get from BJJ is along the lines of well, it's going to go down to the ground, let's just cut to the chase and skip the middle man.

Whether it's a fact or not that the majority of fights go to the ground, it is something that is touted by the Gracies.

13. Moi

5th dan international coach in the WJJF

14. righty

righty Valued Member

Fair enough.

Depends what the context is too

I'm probabaly just being overly defensive.

I think perhaps both of us are also falling into mass generalisation.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  15. Moi

It's all hype to sell their goods.

16. SB1970

SB1970 Valued Member

As i've mentioned on another thread I used to work(help out really) on the doors of night clubs a good few years ago-all the old hands did some sort of judo,jujitsu or bujinkan and used each style in the same way ie if you behave yourself a nice little arm lock,if you don't you get thrown, swept(a judo fav) or generally just bounced on your head-HARD-it normally got peoples attention dam quickly!!!!!!!!
    Judo in a self defence situation????-if the other guy is unlucky hell yeah!!!!!

17. OldNick

OldNick Valued Member

In my very limited experience, judo is very useful in a real life situation... I have done plenty such fighting but -admittedly- not since I left school some 20 years ago!

I did only train judo back then, but all of these 'playground' fights ( or wherever they happened for that matter ) went to the floor...
    This could well be because I took them there however, but the typical scenario was: someone throws a punch at me (which hits or misses, doesn't matter), I get hold of them ; throw them with a modified uchi-mata most of the time ; land on them heavily ; and pin them to the floor with a hon-kesa-gatame until they gave up...

Nothing fancy, and nothing that hurt them much usually, only the occasional choke if they still had some fighting in them...
    I think judo is a fantastic self-defense sport for kids... Certainly gave me plenty of confidence.

18. nj_howard

nj_howard Valued Member

I'd be wary of calling the WJJF a "JJJ" organization.

The notion of a "coach" in legitimate JJJ is bizarre.

19. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Americanized terms maybe? Although I'm not a major fan of the WJJF myself either.

20. Moi

It's the only experience of JJJ I've got, even though I've read the threads and know where it comes from.

They use the coach title a lot.