How to start again

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Maco, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yoga & Boxing

2. Maco

Maco Valued Member

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It looks like any other Arnis class?

4. Maco

Maco Valued Member

Well I don't know any other Arnis class :D ? are they any good?

5. Pretty In Pink

Yeah, arnis is good. However mixing it with kempo seems ridiculous and unnecessary.

6. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

Just read through the posts. Yeah boxing is good. If your weak in punches, thats what you work on.

Its like a plant.. (yes its metaphor time now, are you sitting comfortably? get a glass of milk just incase, heat it in the microwave why not? now lets begin). When you only focus on one aspect of your body, in this case its your legs/kicking am i correct? You excell in that area. So like a plant, your stem is very thing, as you only covered on area out of the many thousands, and so it is long as you have excelled... but that can easily be broken by a strong gust of wind... Yet, add punches, add kicking, add grappling, add weapons training, add lots of other stuff i dont know what... sure you wont excell as much in everything as fast as you would have by just focusing, but your base is now as thick as a tree... not gust of wind can break or snap that tree... you have so many amounts of basics that its liike the roots have gone from one end of the earth, to the other end....

So if you understand my metaphor... just practicing what your strong at will get you somewhere, but working on your weakness will get you further. AFterall, your only as strong as your weakness...

Since i do Tangsoodo, punches are not really thought of as important... and so kicks are the main focus. Now i dont mind that, but i am thinkg, punches must have some use. And so i started working on punches. Before when i used to spar, i wouldnt use my fists at all, just my legs. Now it just feels stupid... literally stupid. You are more off balance when kicking.

And now that i been practicing punches i feel better... i feel i can do better in sparring. And i cant wait for a sparring match, i havnt sparred in AGES!!! UHHHGGG!!!

btw who do i ask about finding a club, like a good club near my area?

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Looks like a standard composite school - could be bad, could be awful. I was a bit concerned by the dismissal of "genealogy" or "lineage" as I would call it. That is usually a way of hiding no qualifications, but it isn't always.

8. julio kodokan

julio kodokan MUAY THAY & BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU Student

Hy Maco! To train alone is better than nothing but I believe sparing is fundamental and the corner stone to your development.I would do alone a very disciplined routine in a training bag, like rounds of 6 minutes( start with maybe 3 minutes) doing very acurately:1-oizuki 2-giaku zuki 3-empi 4-maegeri 5-yoko geri 6-mawashi geri then change to the left stance and do it all over again.Then doing all the defense movements like gedanbarai,ageuke,tchudanuke folowed by a quick kizamizuki in rounds of 6 minutes or less.More important than that I would invite a friend to start training then you could practise DE-AI which is amazing.As a zen tool you could do your katas but try to contact anyone with zen meditation experience....that for sure you can do nicely alone with yourself.Regards, good luck.Julio/Brazil

9. Pretty In Pink

When I think of MA metaphors, I think of a block of concrete and a knife. When you learn a technique, there's a scratch in the conrete block, do it again and the scratch becomes deeper. Learn another technique, and it etches a new line. Eventually you could sculpt something beautiful, something unique.

However my objective is to have no concrete block. For the techniques to become so etched that there is no block left.

I'm weird though 0.o

10. ShangChi

ShangChi KRAV MAGA!

Chadderz winz! Platonic block!

Also to the OP, if there's Kyokushin nearby, that's definitely worth a look.

11. Pkhamidar2com

Agreed with the kyokushin :)

And chaddarz, that was beautiful, sniff, sniff, manly tears here... manly tears....

And no its not weird :) And even if you are, im weird too hahaha. Infact, i love weird... people are too into the normal... Abnormality is what gives variation to the world.

12. Maco

Maco Valued Member

Guy's you have been in great help. : ) I've already called my ex-tae kwon do sensei and asked him about his lessons, and his trainings. I am going to take a look on their trainings and at home I am going to improve my puncing skills and my left foot kicks (i am right handed so my secondary hand is left, I kinda lost power during all this inactivity) I also know many people to have sparings with my brother (karate) my best friend (judo) my cousine (krav maga) my friend (kempo arnis) : ) guess I'll be back in martial arts in no time. Ty all

13. Pkhamidar2com

omg you lucky..... just lucky :'(

so much sparring, awww man so annoying, everyone here gets to spar so much!!!!

14. Maco

Maco Valued Member

can't you sapr with your training mates if u train? : )

15. Pkhamidar2com

Well during class we only get about 10 minutes if any sparring, sometimes 5!!! but since the teachers been away, and a high level student has been teaching us instead its just been forms and Katas...

16. Maco

Maco Valued Member

Which martial art do you train?

17. Pkhamidar2com

Tangsoodo, very close decendant of Shotokan Karate. Hence the amount of forms, katas etc...

18. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

defo kyoku

19. Maco

Maco Valued Member

It has been nearly 3 years and I am back :D So funny reading what I wrote few years ago :) so to ge tup to date:
    - I improved my upper body strength very much! (build my own parkour/street workout park)
    - I trained with my ex - Tae Kwon - Do sensei for about a year (private lessons, sparing and technique drills only)
    - I improved my flexibility and I improved my punching (stronger, faster)
    - I started attending college and started free running (last year both things)
    - I enrolled in yoga class and included it in my routine ever since.
    - Just recently I have started teaching my girlfriend (she's an advanced yoga participant) basics of kicking and punching (shotokan karate, TKD)
    - I lost some of my kicking technique/powe :D

NOW my new goals and advice that I seek are:
    I want to learn to fight with bo staff (6feet = 182cm), I don't think there is any club in Slovenia (at least in the circle of 100km) that teaches bo fighting. :) Im really looking for basic strikes/spins/stances :) any tips on where to get "tutorials" for techniques (I'd mostly use them for aesthetics).

Another thing is I'd like to maintain my level of martial art knowledge even on college and I have a room of 20 square meters, any drills I can do at home? I also spar with my friends time to time and do heavy beg routines and katas during weekends when Im home.

SORRY FOR LONG POST!

20. HappyAiki

HappyAiki Valued Member

Well, if you lived in Portugal, you could learn the stick game and really become a menace with the bo. As you are in Slivenia, some form of japanese staff art might be easier to find.