How Pervasive is BJJ?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Stevebjj, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Atharel

Atharel Errant

Well, good pressure, but they also tend to have biceps twice as big around and necks I could use as a battering ram. When they learn to not let me take the back, it makes me cry.

2. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Maybe you don't have it. ;)

I'm sure there are technical explanations for it, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's the result of many different small things.

First, wrestlers are already comfortable with pressure on their diaphragm, being stacked, and other things that typically give new guys problems.

I'd say they've got strong cores. While their arms and legs might not look or even be that strong, they've developed a strong, flexible neck, strong back, and strong abs.

Mainly, though, I'd say it's just being good at keeping their hips low and working without creating space. The worst thing I've found is to be under a former wrestler in side control. Guard's okay, even mount. I will often bait a former wrestler into mounting me from side control just so I can sweep them. I've been under a guy's side control though and literally unable to move my shoulders. I'm bridging up, I'm shrimping out and I can't even get my elbow to the ground.

All of that adds up to goofy wrestler strength. :)

3. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

Fine--but I don't see what's "goofy" about any of the things you've mentioned.

4. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

I think that is a pretty good description.

5. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

It took me a long time to get past that.

6. NewLearner

NewLearner Valued Member

In the US, wrestling is a fairly popular sport and there are a lot of people that have done it. If I had to guess, there is probably 20 high/school wrestlers in the US for every judo/jjj/bjj person.

And you are right about the positioning skills. Where the wrestler tends to be weak is in finishing the person in a submission.

7. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Well, I don't know what to tell you. Should I have used a different word? Are you offended? Would you like a moist towelette to wipe the tears away?

8. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Its a bit like "old man grip". :D

9. Connovar

Connovar Banned Banned

As a 52 y.o. doing bjj, its more like "DESPERATION GRIP" :) :) :)

I too, have thought a brown or black belt of skill is a good long term goal, although my main incentive is that I love the to do it and it keeps me motivated to get off the couch and stay in shape.

Personally I would like to see more and more geezers like myself train. I have found that boxing and other full contact work is just to hard on the body at my age, However you can still grapple full speed and thats lots of fun.

10. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Hear, hear! Exactly my approach!

Regarding the grip, I've managed to turn my geezer grip into a decent defense and ultimate reversal against some guys with far more skill than myself. Just a stubborn refusal to let go. :)

This is one of the appeals for me, too. I enjoy being able to go balls out without undue risk or wearing gobs of protective gear. A mouthpiece, a cup, and a training partner who isn't a complete spaz and you're good to go.

11. 1bad65

1bad65 Valued Member

If your 52 and doing BJJ, you have my respect.

12. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Sorry but i saw that quickly and thought i read Ompalumpa, so now I have a vision of the Gracies running around Willy Wonkas Chocolate Factory singing songs :D :D :D

13. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Beware the flying oompa-loompas.

14. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Hear hear!!

Still time for the BB before you retire though, eh?!!