How much should you practice?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by nzric, Jan 29, 2004.

1. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Time to get real folks...

We all know the classics tell you to practice forms five times a day, plus qigong. My teacher recommends two or three times a day, running through the form (15 min form for the body, 30 min form for the mind, 45 min form for the spirit) as well as at least 15 mins of qigong. Then there's drills, weapons and partner work as well as classes where you learn new techniques. Other practitioners recommend at least 2 hours of qigong a day, and that's just standing/simple qigongs, not your forms.

We all know we don't do that much, but how much practice a day/week do you think is the minimum to maintain your level of taiji, and how much is the minimum practice you need to increase your skill level over time?

2. moondog

moondog ch'en fake wannabe

i read that running the forms 3 times in one sitting increases your skill... of course you have concentrate every time you do the form and not just run it on autopilot

3. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I do 3 formal 1.5 hour classes a week, plus daily routines for training.

4. wingchunner

wingchunner Valued Member

Training

About two hours a day.

I do Chen style Tai Chi:
    Yi Lu 3-5X a day

Also: Sil Lum Tao, Chum Kiu, Yang 24 short form, Fu style Yin/Yang bagua, LiangI Chuan, weapons

Train daily. keep a log/journal. Do the forum until you've done it ten thousand times. Then, you will begin to master the form.

Marty

5. wingchunner

wingchunner Valued Member

By the way.

Doesn't include class time I'm only able to go once a week with my instructor and I teach classes also.

Marty

6. Kat

Kat Valued Member

This is probally more a question of how commited to your training are you and how practical(important) is your MA in relation to your life.
    Personally,My practise has become an daily routine (ritual)rotating around the basics to advanced, to miss or do without it would considerably alter my life.
    I have found that changing postures every 20 min to be effective for meditations(Zhanzhuang,zuochan)but for a min of 40 minutes a day.But like you said thats me.

Most days start with 2hrs morning routine involving meditations(including form),stretches, massages and some light bodyweight work.I can use the Chinese term if you want:rolleyes: (not directed at you Nzric)
    This is a discipline at first,later it is an ever evolving necessiety
    In short make your practise a joy not a chore.Then improvement if this is your desire, is a forgone reality.

7. nzric

Ok - another question. How do you "fit it in with your lifestyle" (god I hate that term)?

I work full-time which means I leave the house at 7:00-7:45am, and I am studying three nights a week straight after work, so I get home at about 10:30. I'm not a morning person so it's always hard to wake up early (even though my partner runs every day at 5:30am).

8. Jimmy Wand-Yu

Jimmy Wand-Yu Valued Member

nzric,

You could practice between 23.00 - 1.00 at night; it is said this is a good time for practicing neigong and qigong.

Jimmy

9. nzric

I could get so much more done if I didn't sleep!

10. Jimmy Wand-Yu

Practicing between 23.00-1.00 and 5-7 o'clock AM (that's pretty early), is not so much a question of balance, it is more that the Yang-chi is developing after changing from Yin-chi. That is why, many people feel tired at noon, it is because the Yin-Chi is growing.

The best times for practising is when yang changes to yin ( here practises of relax, between 1-3 PM :) ), or yin changes to Yang (energy practises). So, it is not only about balance (which is the popular thinking), it's the change that gives the energy and good opportunity.

Jimmy

PS: for clarification I should say that the Yang Chi is active between 12.00 midnight to 12.00 at noon, while the Yin-chi is dominant between 12.00 to 12.00 at midnight.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  11. Darren

Darren Valued Member

No i meant balance between practicing and sleeping.

Where can I find out more about the stuff you've just mentioned, Jimmy? I've been trying to find out more about this sort of info and also chi 'dynamics'...

12. Jimmy Wand-Yu

Darren,

That write-up was a short summary on this topic from my knowledge (from many sources) + my taiji-qigong experience.

Like you said there are many cycles in the body, spirit and nature, I still have to figure out how these cycles interact.

Jimmy

13. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Nzric
    Start off small and see what evolves.Get up with your partner and do 15 mins of qigongs, then go back to bed if you want (but I doubt you will want to).Sometimes the hardest step is starting.

14. soggycat

soggycat Valued Member

I’ve read it in some book (can’t recall name) and Chikung teacher also saysthe same thing, that the best time of the day to do ChiKung is:
    1. Just after Sunrise
    2. Just before Sunset
    3. Midnight
    4. Midday

This is because these times are “ Change Overs” and the Cosmic YinYang energy flow is the highest, and therefore optimal for absorption into the body during Meditation/ Chikung . ( Incredibly so , these change over times seem to approx corrspond to Simple Harmonic Motion points of Circular motion ie. The 0, 90,180, 270 degrees point - ask your Math teacher )

Some other bits of advice I picked up:
    If living in Northern Hemisphere, face South.
    Conversly in Southern Hemisphere, face north .

Avoid doing it near large bodies of water ( min 10 meters), in the rain or on wet grass.( Too much Yin energy)
    Avoid doing it in Windy enviroment ( Too much bad Chi )
    Avoid sexual activity for 8 hours after Chikung
    Do not eat / shower 30mins before or after

15. nzric

Qigong 4 times per day ... 8 hours break in sexual activity between each one...

?!!

16. Mo Ling

Mo Ling New Member

quality, not quantity

I think an important point here for those who are really into it, is to ask one'sself what are you actually practicing instead of how much.

There is a threshhold that one must rise above in practice before they can actually fist begin to even grasp the work to be done, and then make progress. Once that threshhold is crossed, the question, at least in my world,, is not how much should I practice, but how deep should my practice be.

For those of us that say they practice their form 3-5 times a day I can say this; I used to do that and then I learned some other ways of practicing that changed everything. At this point for myself and my gongfu brothers, most people find it a great accomplishment to get through one or two sets correctly. Upon finishing such forms, no one has the feeling to even walk down the street and just sitting is a fairly sore experience.

I am not even going to address the "lifestyle" question, because it jjust makes little sense to me. I do understand that not eveyone can really learn gongfu for various reasons, but there is not much in between really doing it and really not doing it.

The more serious the practice is, the better the result will be. A very serious practice should not be able to be repeated many times per day. Basically a couple hours of form should put one basically out of commision, but partner work can be done all day if you work up to the endurance and skill level.

M

www.taijigongfu.com

17. nzric

I haven't "had enough time" to practice very much lately, but last sunday I went to the park and did a big session. First went on the rowing machine at the gym, worked up a sweat, then took a brisk walk to a local park and quickly ran through the form (15 mins). After that I did 15 mins standing qigong and some stretching, then ran through the form again at medium/slow speed (30 mins). I was reaching the end of the third part when I felt a huge warm wave of heat and I was suddenly practicing smoothly in sung.

I sat back and "watched" my body doing the form and had the sensation I used to have when I was practicing. I thought "this is really why I practice". Some drills, a couple of rounds of bagua circular form and a swim later, I can tell why it's so good to give the cobwebs a good shake every once and a while.