How Many MMA Board Members Actually Fight

Discussion in 'MMA' started by ICT, Nov 4, 2007.

1. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Hello,

I would like a sound off of the board members that actually fight in MMA/NHB matches? Also was it or are they a sanctioned bought(s) or non-sanctioned.

You can be amateur or pro, local, regional or international just as long as you have been in at least one tournament bout.

Sincerely,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

2. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

I haven't but check back in 4 months or so.

3. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

I have my first fight this coming Saturday. I'll let ya know how it goes.

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Good luck Fisty, Sock it to 'em Kempo style! :D

5. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

I've fought in local Full Contact tourneys under PKA and IKA rules, sancitoned and also as done some goofy Kempo point sparring tourneys; those really don't have a sanctioning body worth talking about. No MMA bouts at this point, and it's doubtfull with my continuing back injuries and yet another birthday having just gone by if I will or not, but no big, it's still fun to train.

BTW, Good luck KF, I'm waiting for the vid to be posted on youtube!

So what's your competition background ICT? You haven't answered your own question yet.

6. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

I have trained and I teach but never competed in MMA tournaments. I Boxed, did the Karate, Judo tournaments and wrestled in High School back in the late 70's and 80's.

What I really wanted to know was how many MMAist actually fight and what there take was on people who don't.

See my new Post!
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1329114#post1329114

Sincerely,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  7. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

First off, good luck, KF, keep us posted!

Back to the OP: I haven't competed yet, though I've been offered a fight in March. If things work out between work and school in January, and I feel I can adequately prepare, I'll may accept. Right now I don't feel like I've had enough "prep" matches: stuff in a more limited setting, like boxing, wrestling, judo, BJJ, etc. I'd like to get a fight by the end of the year, for sure. Not getting any younger.

8. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

Good luck to you fuzzy, I say go for it!

To ICT: Not sure if mine is the response you're looking for, but as for my opinion on people who don't fight (I'm assuming you mean compete here), I would say they should man up and do it. It's well and good to talk about how great your conditioning, and your strategy and your technique is, but that's not much more than hot air untill you get out there and test it.

Now, the above is tempered with the fact that I realize not everyone is looking for the same thing in martial arts. Some people just want a more interesting form of exercise. Some I would say it's more "cultural experemetation/preservation" than anything else. But as for anyone who intends to learn MA for self defense (or of course for competition), they need to get in the ring and fight. They don't have to aspire to be the next UFC champ, but without head to head competitive fighting you're never going to know where you really stand in your ability. What's more few things else can actually prepare you to deal with some of the odd intangables of fighting like adrenaline dump, in the way competition fighting can.

To head off the inevitable argument that someone always brings up, I would be the first to admit competition fighting isn't exactly the same thing as an unexpected "street fight," but stepping in the ring with someone else who is detrmined to knock your block off is about as close as you can get, ref, gloves or no. The people who complain the loudest about how unrealistic ring fighting is are always the ones who have never done it. To them, hey, fine, have ONE FIGHT in the ring, and at least then you can speak from experience (albeit limited) about how unrealistic it is or isn't.

Anyway, rant over, my take on it in a nutshell: competition fighting and the training that goes into it is one of the absoloute best ways to prepare yourself for a real fight, be it in a ring or in a dark alleyway. If competition fighting isn't your foccus, do it anyway and recognize it as a means to an end rather than an end unto itself, because nothing else is going to better prepare you for that end (effective fighting).

Cheers!

9. KempoFist

I can tell you, that the perception from the fighters I train with is, "if you don't train, shut the hell up criticizing those who do"

On the last season of TUF, Matt got into an argument with Marc Laimon, over his deriding comments of Royce Gracie after Royce's loss to Matt Hughes. In short, Marc doesn't do anything but BJJ, and Matt feels he has no place smack talking Royce, who actually had the balls to get in the cage and put it on the line.

In my opinion (for what it's worth) is that MMA fighting isn't for everyone. I think every able-bodied MAist should consider doing it, but hey not everyone has to get in the cage or ring to prove something unless they want to.

As far as MMA armchair quarterbacks, I agree with Matt's stance on that, but I must admit, I love to armchair quarterback as much as the next guy. Not that I mock or crap on fighters like Marc did -I got all the respect in the world for those who put it all out on the line like that- but I gotta critique a fight when I see a poor performance....god I am such a hypocrite.... :p

10. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

me
    high school wrestling in ny state
    i have boxed amatuer in ny state
    boxing in kansas

i have had about 20 mt fights...
    8 mma fights

dont really keep up with who is giving the fight but a few times it was rumble in the rockies and ring of fire.

oh and two nagas

at my gym we have competiors and non competitors....

and for alot of differrnt reasons

some are two tied up and work and barly have time to train.

we have an undercover cop who really doesnt want the pub,

a few who are on the bad side of the age line,

a few who dont have the talent,

a few girlfriends who are just there to be close to their boyfriend,

people just interested in self defense,

a few new folks who are always... "just about to compete if i can just get in better shape, skill or recover from injury"

and a few chicks who like hanging around with buff tough guys.

that being said to each thier own.....to me the guys or chicks who compete are always a lttle better and more dedicated..you have to be.

though we have one guy who never fought, doent want to....but is a machine...i feel sorry for his first fight if he ever decides he wants it.

BUT...i think for a heathy gym you need all the different types....for every fight my gym puts one....for each fighter we need. 10 guys backing him up(ie work the corner, cut men, ....people who set up ring, door men, all kind of orginizers.....

and while the 42 yearold accountant at our gym might not "rule the ring"....he is a good enough sparring partner, he actualy listens when i say "im kind banged up today so lay off my right ribs and left thigh"

for some reason the other competitive guys are always well.... competitive (unconciously or not) and sometimes you want to spar to work on timing but not go balls out

and 42 year man is a good orginozer of the event

11. Howard Kinnard

Howard Kinnard Valued Member

Hi,

I boxed and did the WTF TKD thing, but haven't done any of that for 8-9 years since I changed styles. I've done full on sparring with lots of other stylists, but that is just sparring. Looking to do my first mma bout next Spring, maybe earlier if the right competition comes along and I feel ready.

Howard

12. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

Where would you get more information on actual MMA fights, like rules and tourneys, I actually might want to do something along those lines, but I'm getting old and only have a few years of actual competition in me probably. I'm 31, old in fighting terms probably.

13. KempoFist

lol, 31 ain't old. Fighter's usually consider retiring after 36 or so. And I need I mention the Randy?

There are usually fliers out at local kickboxing, Judo, Boxing, and BJJ schools advertising local venues. Amateur events all have their own unique rules and protective equipment requirements. I'm sure if you live in a state where the UFC is legal, you'll be able to find a unified rules (UFC rules) venue, but IMO that's a little risky to start off in.

Around here in the Tri-State area, we have Reality Fighting, Ring of Combat, and a few other smaller shows on a fairly regular basis.

*edit* For the record, I'll be in the Empire State Warrior's Challenge (one of the smaller shows of course).

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  14. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

You mean the only guy who is going to go directly from the cage to the senior center? :D

15. KempoFist

BLASPHEMER! HE WILL ASCEND STRAIGHT TO HEAVEN TO RULE ALONGSIDE ZEUS!

16. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

Yeah but Randy is a mutant :)

Right now I live in Japan. So I'm sure there is a few I was hoping for something in the states though.

17. callsignfuzzy

Rjhartu-

Just so I'm understanding this clearly, you live in Japan, but are interested in fighting in the States?

I'd say one of the simplest ways to get started in the fight business is to find an MMA or related (kickboxing or BJJ) gym. Find out if they're sponsoring fighters for upcoming events, and hop on the money train! It's also a good way to figure out if you're ready, or if there are some areas that could use some work.

I'd imagine there are more than a few gyms in Japan. Aside from doing a broad search of "MMA gyms", you could also go on Sherdog, look up some Japanese fighters, and find out what camp they're with. Most camps have a central gym somewhere. And I'm sure I don't have to tell you, the Japanese aren't accustomed to "going easy" on new folks, so your first training session might be harder than a real fight! :D

Some Japanese gyms:

Rodeo Style
    Takada Dojo
    Freelance (?)
    Team RASCAL (Takanori Gomi's gym)
    T-Blood
    Mach Dojo (Sakurai's dojo)
    Waiyutsu Keisyukai
    Pancrase dojo
    Gutsman Shooto dojo
    Team MAD
    Hybrid Wrestling Mugen
    Killer Bee
    ALIVE

and that ought to be more than enough to get you started.

If you were gonna be in the States, what part of the country would it be?

18. Zannen!

Zannen! Banned Banned

Central part near chicago. But, I will give the local stuff a tour, I`ve mostly found Judo, but would like to give the MMA a try. Thanks, rather just train here and go back and fight a few, but I have a feeling my time is running out. 31 and ticking...

19. KempoFist

Well I can I've actually fought now. Had two matches in my bout, leaving me at the end of the day 1 - 1 - 0, both by decision.

What a day. Jeez.

20. callsignfuzzy

Hey, congrats on your matches!